What's new

The recent passing of my father

Let me start with this: I don't own a journal so I'm using B&B to log my thoughts and feelings. I apologize if what I type is a sensitive subject for anyone.

I'm afraid I'll forget what a great man he was.

My father unexpectedly passed away on Thursday, July 2nd 2015 at the young age of 70. He is survived by my mother (his wife of 44 incredible years), his two younger sisters, as well as my brother and myself.
He was running errands alone and was found in his vehicle in the bank parking lot. He was on his way to my shop to help do a few repairs, and very sadly he never arrived.
The medical examiner and my dad's doctor agreed there was enough evidence to safely say he had a heart attack or an arrhythmia that was strong enough to stop his heart. Whatever happened, it happened quick. That's the one thing giving me comfort at this point.

He was the fix-it guy in the family. He knew how to do just about anything. Cars, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, landscaping, anything. I never had an interest in learning much of that because I knew he would be around to help when I decided it was time to learn.
He was a retired high school Math and Science teacher. His passion was reading. He was always under the impression that you can never learn too much and was well versed on US and global politics.
He was born in Hamilton, Ontario Canada and moved to California with his family when he was about 10 years old.

He "adopted" two daughters (My wife, and my brothers wife). My mother said he always wanted daughters and was happy to have our ladies around the house so often.
I always assumed he would be around to see grandchildren. He would have made a great grandpa.

This is the last photo taken of us together, at my wedding on 5/29/2015
Thank you for letting me share. He is missed greatly.

$Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 2.42.07 PM.jpg

My man, I am sorry to hear the news, but I can tell you one thing for sure. You will never forget how great a man your father is because of the impact he has had on your life. I lost my dad over 5 years ago, and felt the same, but remembering the great things our fathers did for us (and believe it or not, continue to do) means they are never forgotten.

If you ever feel the need to holler at a random person, my inbox is always open. I can offer a sympathetic ear, and a virtual cup of tea at any point of the day my friend. Thank YOU for sharing a little insight into your dad, he sounds like a great man indeed.

My condolences. From your description he was clearly a terrific guy. You were lucky to have him in your family. My Dad went in 2010. It's very difficult.

So, so sorry for your loss. Your father sounds like a remarkable person and a great dad. He left this Earth way too young and I know you will miss him greatly. Excellent photo. He'll be watching your grandchildren from Heaven.

So sorry for your loss. The passing of a parent is a very sobering experience. I doubt you'll forget what kind of man your father was. Mine died 30 years ago this fall, and his memory remains strong. I can remember specific moments, conversations, and experiences we shared. I treasure those memories. They are locked in, and appear, unbidden, at exactly the right moment I need them. Godspeed to you and your family.

Sorry to hear about the passing of your father.

You wrote up a great bio. Much respect to teachers.

Thanks for sharing.

Lost my dad when he was the ripe old age of 51 i was 22. And on april fools day so im always bummed when everyone else is paying jokes. It does not get easier.

Really sad news.Death comes and goes away with our loved ones,and there is nothing we can do but enjoy the great memories of how out loved ones made our life so full....The photo is a real gem,there's 2 great shaves if ever I saw two,this should be in a frame .

Sorry for your loss. My dad died last year at about this time (7/4/2014) so this topic has been heavy on my heart the past few days. The only advice I can give you is to focus on the good times, honor him whenever you can, and take heart - healing does happen. A good dad is always missed - every day.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Let me start with this: I don't own a journal so I'm using B&B to log my thoughts and feelings.

Thank you for thinking of B&B as the brotherhood where you can record and share these reflections about a great guy! He looks like quite the character (in a good way!) in that photo.

I'm sorry for your loss. Take solace in that you spent quality time with your Dad and that he was able to be at your wedding.

Gareth,

I am truly sorry to hear of the passing of your father. It is clear from your writings that he was a fine man. My family is coming up on the first anniversary (July 14) of the passing of my father, also a fine man.

Interestingly, my father also died suddenly at 70 years of age. He was also a retired high school science and math teacher who spent a great deal of his spare time fixing things and tinkering. A voracious reader, he kept up on world and local politics, always buttressing his opinions with facts.

My father loved mine and my brother's wives as though they were his own daughters (perhaps more than he loved his two scientifically uninclined boys...) and spent an enormous amount of time with his grandchildren.

As for how my father passed, it was likely a massive heart attack or something of that sort. It was so sudden and massive that he likely passed before falling to the floor. It happened while he was at home with my mother.

Fortunately, I did thank my father for raising me the way he did and for being such a loving parent and grandparent). He died two days after that.

Strange how much strangers can have in common, isn't it. I wish you and your family all the best and hope your memories of your great father keep you smiling. He left too soon, that is sure, but he finished his job in this life. Take care.

Absolutely no apologies necessary, Gareth. He sounds like a wonderful man, and he'll be with you for the rest of your life. That's a wonderful picture! Thanks for posting it.

Good luck. Record your thoughts any time.

Top Bottom