What's new

Hairs exiting skin at sharp angle

Not new to shaving, but I've given up on it for the last couple of years. Currently I use beard trimmer and just go as close as I can, which looks like a 1.5 days growth. Ideally I would like to be clean shaven at least on weekdays.

Because the hairs of my beard come out at such a steep angle, shaving against the grain takes off a little bit of skin as well, causing irritation. Shaving with the grain doesn't take much of the hair off since they lay so flat – I could just as well continue with the beard trimmer. Another issue is that the hairs, once shaved off, have difficulty exiting the skin and just continues growing on the inside of the skin instead. I mostly have issues on the neck, but also on the cheeks and the sides of my mustache as well.

Wondering if anyone here has the same type of beard, if they can shave successfully, and if so, what methods and tools they use.

I have the same problem on my neck and I do what amounts to two XTG passes in opposite directions. Doesn't get me quite BBS but it does keep the ingrown hairs from being a problem.

Try cold water shaving. It's supposed to make the hair stand up a little. Also make sure your prep is excellent.
Lastly, when applying the lather on your face, run the brush against the grain. It couldn't hurt to spend some more time face lathering as well.

Lathering with a brush should help. When you lather go in circular motions with the brush and against the grain and that should raise your beard somewhat to make it easier to shave.

ATG on my neck is a near impossibility. I just do two or three careful XTG passes in slightly different directions. It's kind of hard to describe. I don't get BBS, but is close enough for yours truly. :001_smile

Welcome to the forum!

Yep, same problem here. Try the following:
-Face Lather using a brush. Even if it's just the same old canned stuff everyone else uses, apply it with the brush and work it in well, even adding a little extra water to it.
-Only shave WTG. I can usually get a good shave with a single pass if I do it right, 2 at most, but both are with the grain.
-Skin stretching. Makes a huge difference in the closeness, and I don't have problems with ingrown hairs as long as I stay WTG when stretching.
-Use a suitably aggressive razor. Many people claim that anyone should be able to get a good shave with a mild razor. I think that might be true for folks with light beards or those who do multiple passes including XTG and ATG. If you are trying to get a good shave with one or two WTG passes, then you need an aggressive razor. I have started doing my first pass with an SR1 barber razor, then I do my second pass with whatever DE I'm using for my head. Usually it's a wide open adjustable of some sort.

If you place a finger or two behind the stroke, tension connects that finger to the hair caught on the razor's edge via the skin beneath the cutting head. You can hold the razor still to get the idea. It makes a sort of roller feed when you pull the skin by rolling your fingertips, standing up the hair. In practice, only the razor moves, but the fingers can hold the appropriate tension.

Mine lay flat on the right side of my throat. Best thing for me is a mild razor (shavecraft 101, wilkinson blades) and having as much slack skin as possible. I have a vertical divot/canal recess in my throat and from what I can see, slackening up the skin definitely helps. I only do 1 WTG pass. I can do XTG but WTG is "good enough". I am not obsessed with BBS there. Either try tight or loose skin. One is bound to work. Also prep is important. Gotta make sure that whiskers laying flat are primed to be cut. Light touch too. You may have to angle the razor so that the handle is going out, away from your throat. Experiment is best here.

Top Bottom