What's new

Do (new) straight razors come shave ready?

Just curious about it. I understand honing with a strop will be needed at some point or another, but I'm curious as to how much exactly.

From the factory, no. Some vendors do sharpen the razors they sell and send them out 'shave ready.' Research carefully so as to avoid the pain of trying to shave with a factory edge.

Short answer is no. Long answer is no. If you don't hone and don't want to send you new steel out for a couple weeks before you can use it do some research and order from a vendor that does a real honing before shipping to you.

PS - you will need a strop right away. Stropping before each use, even freshly honed, is pretty much mandatory if you want to keep the edge keen.

How is it that a guy named photographer doesn't have an avatar jk jk ;-)

On a more serious note many people here hone razors... If u buy new and it's not shave ready contact one of us

I bought two straight razors announced as "shave ready" (one of them supposedly honed and stroped by "professionals") and any of them was really close to a shave ready....

Sorry for my English.

If you're buying from a decent vendor that offers honing: it may indeed be shave ready.

If you're buying direct from the manufacturer... It would depend on the manufacturer on the quality of the honing. But in most cases: it likely won't be as sharp as you'll want it (but it may, indeed, be sharp enough to cut hairs if you check the lather).

They do if they are marked as shave-ready by a reputable seller. Best thing in this case is not to strop them "out of the box"--just use them as received for starters. Honing is another matter.

Last edited:
I have had a few that came to me shave ready but did not meet my shave ready need so had to hone them again, most just needed to be put on an 8k then a finisher

Top Bottom