What's new

2015 Gold Dollar Modification Top 3

You'd be negligent, if you haven't ventured into the Straight Razor section, lately. In fact, negligent is an understatement. You'd have missed out on one of the most exciting threads in the forum. http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=

Our very own members have been creating sartorial soliloquies in steel. Our Moderators have picked their three, favorite razors, and below, you'll find three links to those razors. Post here which razor you choose for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place. We'll tally the votes and award prizes to those modders who dared to turn a piece of junk into a functional, fuzz busting razor!

jKyro's entry
Roger that. Well here's my entry. It is hitting the hones tonight and I'm not worried about the edge. I've honed a few gold dollars before and haven't had too much trouble. But I will post shaveability tomorrow!

So my theme for this was the beach. A surf board with a shark bite, and water drops on the blade. I made the scales a little longer so I could completely fit it how I wanted and reshape the blade with a thumb notch. The scales are zebra wood and the wedge is African mahogany. Its more for show than it is for use so it's finished with tung oil and wax. I call it the, "Shacka." (Pronounced shockuh) also known as the "hang loose" hand sign. Hope you guys enjoy it!
View attachment 580989View attachment 580990View attachment 580991

shm's entry
I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I'm not satisfied with the polishing yet, but it will have to do for now as I'm running out of time.

All I need now, is the honing, so I know how I'm going to spend my evening :001_smile

So without further ado, here is my entry:
Modified Gold Dollar 66 dressed in black linen micarta with an ox-bone wedge/spacer and a single new silver pin.
I have tried to give the tip of the scales the same shape as the razor.

proxy.php

and for those who don't mind a little more shots in different angles (I don't want to spam the thread)
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I should of course have waited and drilled the pin holes when the wedge was secured, but I drilled them before. Luckily the razor closed almost dead centre when the pin went in :001_rolle
Should I ever start a project like this, I will not be polishing the razor, it takes too long time (with only a battery driven Dremel), next time I will sand, wire-brush or etch it.

Overall it has been a fun project, and the razor came out almost like I wanted it too.

Al_S' entry

Please vote only once. Voting will end Sunday, July 12 @ midnight, Mountain Standard Time.

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Very difficult to decide. If I had to (bla bla bla):

1st: AL_S
2nd: shm
3rd: jKyro

Seriously, though, they are all amazing in their own right. All of the original entries were. I'd gladly shave with any of the razors submitted. Excellent work, Gentlemen.

I've been watching that thread closely. All of the entries were outstanding! I absolutely can't believe how talented so many members here are.

1: shm
2: Al_S
3: jKyro

All three are truly works of art. Great job by all, and congrats to the above three for making it this far!

I like them all for different reasons, but I love the razor from shm, so it has to be my winner.

1st: shm

2nd: AL_S
3rd: jKyro

1jkyro - not the most refined but the theme pulls it all together
2. Shm for refinement
3. Als still great but blocky for my taste

So this is the culmination of all that Gold Dollar stuff I've been hearing about. Amazing craftsmanship here, gentlement!

1. jKyro
2. Shm
3. Al_S

1st: shm - shavability. work on geometry and art of both blade and handle
2nd: AL_S - Simplicity and shavability
3rd: jKyro - could not imagine shavability with a heavy handle

You guys need to cut this out!!!!!
I'm trying my best to avoid buying a straight, and this doesn't help.
Now I'm looking at Gold Dollar razors on eBay.
Must Fight The Urge.

1. shm
2. jKyro
3. AL_S

Congrats to all on the awesome work! Its always a pleasure to see what can come out of a gold dollar!

Top Bottom