Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean like the Romans :-)

Images

Thumbs up Clean like the Romans :-)

I whish I could

I believe the tool they used is called a strigil.

Why can't they be found for sale in today's world

Like a body shave

mace
    Last edited by mace; 05-08-2008 at 12:02 PM.

Plano TX, but I wish I was in the mountains

I think it was more of a scraper than a shaver.
    Jp - Horse power is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you drag it behind you

Images

Hey, nothing wrong with that!

I'll just forgo the way that they used to wipe themselves!

Images

right, first you get oiled up, and then use the strigil to scrape off the oil along with any dirt or grime that might be there. All that olive oil must be good for the complexion ...
    Be there or be square. Only I can do both!

"My lord, I will use them according to their desert."

"God's bodykins, man, much better: use every man
    after his desert, and who should 'scape whipping?"

Veteran of the Great Irisch Moos Campaign of 2008-09

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Newell View Post
    I'll just forgo the way that they used to wipe themselves!
    sponge on a stick if I remember correctly, right?

they do make a body squeegee

The beauty of the modern world is we don't have to scrape our bodies with seashells or strigils or tree bark. Soap and running water are things I don't think I'd want to live without. Perfumed oils, patchouli, et al don't count as showers. Or clean for that matter.

As a side note - pacthouli is about $800/gal. How the hell do hippies and homeless people afford the stuff? Heh.

p.s. No offense to hippies, homeless people or anyone else that likes the smell of patchouli. I don't like it. All I can think of when I smell it is dirty people. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Unit 91 View Post
    The beauty of the modern world is we don't have to scrape our bodies with seashells or strigils or tree bark. Soap and running water are things I don't think I'd want to live without. Perfumed oils, patchouli, et al don't count as showers. Or clean for that matter.

As a side note - pacthouli is about $800/gal. How the hell do hippies and homeless people afford the stuff? Heh.

p.s. No offense to hippies, homeless people or anyone else that likes the smell of patchouli. I don't like it. All I can think of when I smell it is dirty people. Sorry.
    +1!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!! I love you, brother!!!!
    Robert
    ----------
    [SIZE="2"]Futur/GEM G-bar/'59 Fatboy/Merkur Slant
    Bolanzo/Big Ben Blue/Trig Silver Edge/Treet single
    Proraso Red, Nancy Boy (duh) and 50+ others
    and counting...[/SIZE]
    ----------
    [B][I]"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious." [/I]-- Oscar Wilde[/B]

Go to a store that sells horse tack and look for a sweat scraper. It's just a big strigil. But, I wouldn't recommend using the serrated edge unless you're trying to get rid of your winter coat.

Moose

Images

Thumbs up

The beauty of the modern world is we don't have to scrape our bodies with seashells or strigils or tree bark. Soap and running water are things I don't think I'd want to live without.
    Absolutely!! And we can choose to use soap, running water and a strigil
    I like to use a sponge or a brush, but would like to use a strigil as well

I think it was more of a scraper than a shaver.
    Indeed! but in the spirit of......kind'a

I'll keep-a-looki'n

/mace

Hmmmm? I guess it wouldn't come with a slave.....Perhaps i should give it a miss then......

I was a member of this outfit http://www.erminestreetguard.co.uk/ back when I was a late teen in the early 90s. All armour, weapons and daily accouterments were made by members strictly based on archaeological finds in Britain under Vespasian. We used to "oil and strigil".

Key things I recall:
    1) oil needs to be warm
    2) one really needs to have just come out of a sauna/turkish bath, or at the very least from a regular bath as hot as one can tolerate
    3) one really needs a partner to do the scraping
    4) As with the wet shaving rubric of "remove the lather, not the beard" one needs to "remove the oil, not the dirt"

It is (or was-- haven't done it id ca. two decades) amazingly effective.

Don't believe me? Go wash you hands with soap and water. Now take a penknife and scrape the palmar side of any finger, proximally-->distally. I guarantee you will see gunk on your blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc4 View Post
    right, first you get oiled up, and then use the strigil to scrape off the oil along with any dirt or grime that might be there. All that olive oil must be good for the complexion ...
    I'll stick with a shower
    Call me Mike, please.
    TOFLAC-U

Well Romans didn't live without soap or running water either. The view that people in the past mainly lived in their own filth is a myth.
    Justin -- AOM || BOTOC
    Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again.

Images

What do you think smells worse - rancid olive oil left over from hundreds of "scrapings" or a patchouli soaked hippie?
    Henry

My Kit

henry (@) badgerandblade.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Well Romans didn't live without soap or running water either. The view that people in the past mainly lived in their own filth is a myth.
    Yep, they had running water at least 1000 years before we did.
    Owen the Sane

Quote Originally Posted by oc_in_fw View Post
    Yep, they had running water at least 1000 years before we did.
    Owen... I have to ask... are any of our members Immortals? Because I don't think any of us were around then... Also the dudes on Crete had running water before the Greeks figured out talking to each other over stabbing each other. Watched a doc about how Crete was part of an empire that was crazy smart... just the capitol was built on a volcano and when it went off everyone had a bad time.... I will have to look it up, it was really good.
    Justin -- AOM || BOTOC
    Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by professorchaos View Post
    What do you think smells worse - rancid olive oil left over from hundreds of "scrapings" or a patchouli soaked hippie?
    The patchouli soaked hippie.
    Mark

Any other Carthage sympathizers in the house tonight?
    My name is not really Salvador Montenegro.

Images

For sure the Romans didn't like Carthage. Sent old Scipio Africanus as an 'ambassador'.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by professorchaos View Post
    Whichever one smells more like "The Veg", of course.
    Be there or be square. Only I can do both!

"My lord, I will use them according to their desert."

"God's bodykins, man, much better: use every man
    after his desert, and who should 'scape whipping?"

Veteran of the Great Irisch Moos Campaign of 2008-09

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Owen... I have to ask... are any of our members Immortals? Because I don't think any of us were around then... Also the dudes on Crete had running water before the Greeks figured out talking to each other over stabbing each other. Watched a doc about how Crete was part of an empire that was crazy smart... just the capitol was built on a volcano and when it went off everyone had a bad time.... I will have to look it up, it was really good.
    None of us were around then, we know from historical records.
    Owen the Sane