What's new

Van der hagen revisited

I broke out the scented luxury after it's been on the counter for around a year. I was surprised at how well it did, maybe not top notch but not to shabby. Loaded it for 25 seconds with tgn 2 band finest using the Marco method and produced enough lather for I'd say 5 passes. Slickness-7 , cushion-5 , scent-7. I think I'll try to use it up before summers over.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I broke out the scented luxury after it's been on the counter for around a year. I was surprised at how well it did, maybe not top notch but not to shabby. Loaded it for 25 seconds with tgn 2 band finest using the Marco method and produced enough lather for I'd say 5 passes. Slickness-7 , cushion-5 , scent-7. I think I'll try to use it up before summers over.

alowe:
Glad you're taking 'quite a shine' to VDH Luxury because after many years of using many soaps (Williams, artisan, ect...), Luxury is my one & only 'go-to' soap and
proxy.php
...what a difference!!

attachment.php

The Luxury far out-shinned the Deluxe (which was then my 'go-to' soap), in terms of lather, lubrication, cushion, glide and scent. I also add 10 drops of glycerin per puck (and about 10 drops of vintage Pinuad Club Royale), before I melt it (nuke), for 'Überlather', extra lubrication, cushion, glide and scent . :thumbsup:

Read More:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/357300-The-Van-Der-Hagen-Society?highlight=

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/sh...product=196305

attachment.php
“Happiness is the [shaving soap] that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart”. Mort Walker

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I wish they wouldn't include Sodium Laureth Sulfate. Good soaps can lather well on their own without detergents.

VDH Luxury is one of my favorite soaps, maybe because it was my very first one, but it performs perfectly every time and will always be in my rotation.

I have both Luxury soaps plus all the other regulars, Deluxe, etc. I've only used the Deluxe and I think it performs reasonably well.

I wish they wouldn't include Sodium Laureth Sulfate. Good soaps can lather well on their own without detergents.
+1. It's also got a lot of propylene glycol.

And the scent of the Luxury, though pleasant, is a little too "Axe" for my taste.

It's been a few years since I last used any of the VDH products. I enjoyed all of them, I've just been trying different things since then. Seeing this thread makes me want to get another of their pucks. I will be stopping at the store for the VDH Luxury on my way home tonight!

a little too "Axe" for my taste.
That's what I thought too, but to me it's in a good way. As with other people, VDH Luxury was my first soap and it will forever hold a spot in my den. It isn't the best smelling nor the best latherer, but I'm keeping it there because it was my first soap and I get great shaves with it.

According to the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database, SLS is a "moderate hazard" that has been linked to cancer, neurotoxicity, organ toxicity, skin irritation and endocrine disruption.

SLS may also be listed as sodium dodecyl sulfate, sulfuric acid, monododecyl ester, sodium salt, sodium salt sulfuric acid, sodium dodecyl sulfate, aquarex me or aquarex methyl.

According to the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database, SLS is a "moderate hazard" that has been linked to cancer, neurotoxicity, organ toxicity, skin irritation and endocrine disruption.
SLS may also be listed as sodium dodecyl sulfate, sulfuric acid, monododecyl ester, sodium salt, sodium salt sulfuric acid, sodium dodecyl sulfate, aquarex me or aquarex methyl.

I lot of things have been "linked" to cancer but it doesn't always seem to be true. I don't plan on eating it.

[/B]

If you try the Luxury version I think you will find it out performs the Deluxe version.

I skipped the argument on which is better lol. Both have great ingredients soooo.... I double boiled half puck of one and half puck of the other squirting of glycerine and voila... awesome lol.
I also use both to "cut" very strong glycerine soaps. Most recently being Kells original dragons blood. Did half puck of each of luxury and deluxe and half the dragons blood. Still strong enough but doesn't make my eyes water.
it's been anice experimental soap for me. I also did a mix that included shave secret which I have to say, wasn't bad at all. About 15-20 drops in a half and half mix. Has the scent and oils of shave secret with the great ingredients of deluxe and luxury... and of course a squirt of glyverine.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I lot of things have been "linked" to cancer but it doesn't always seem to be true. I don't plan on eating it.

I don't plan on eating it either, it's just that these industrial detergents strip the oils from my skin and hair. Whether it is safe or not wasn't the concern I had when I mentioned SLS.

So I've used it all week and it has performed quite well. I really enjoy the subtle scent. I've decided to go ahead and 3017 the rest of the puck.

Top Bottom