What's new

Road bikes

Anyone else ride a roadbike?

I needed a kick in the pants to get a little more active. I just picked one up this season and, in the past two weeks, put on a about a hundred and fifty km.

And the apparel that I used to laugh at? No one laughs with chafe. I have a deep new appreciation for bike shorts.

Much like all my other "hobbies" that I picked up, on a whim, I intend to keep it up - especially as this one is heathly. (Motorcycling, straight razors and, now, biking)

Good for you! Yes, a few good pair of shorts or bibs (my preference) will be the most important piece of kit you procure at this point - assuming that you already have a helmet. chafing and saddle sores are no joke. If you're chafing, you should have a look at some chamois creme as well. There are a million different brands, just pick one and give it a go.

Love road bikes! I used to ride one, sold it. Now living in a small apt, with two bikes already- wife won't let me get another till we have more space.

Good for you! Yes, a few good pair of shorts or bibs (my preference) will be the most important piece of kit you procure at this point - assuming that you already have a helmet. chafing and saddle sores are no joke. If you're chafing, you should have a look at some chamois creme as well. There are a million different brands, just pick one and give it a go.

No doubt. Right now, any pair are better than without.

No doubt. Right now, any pair are better than without.

While I agree that something is generally better than nothing; a good pair of shorts that fit well and have a really nice chamois are a game changer if you're riding even moderate distances. Once you have a good pair, you wont even want to use your cheap ones anymore.

If I were in your shoes, I would look to get two nice pair of different shorts at this point, maybe a pair of shorts and a pair of bibs, and go for different brands... that way the fabrics will be different as well as the chamois. The primary benefit is to have some nice shorts to wear - which you'll need anyway if you're going to stick with this. The secondary benefit is that having two totally different shorts will give you an idea what you like or do not like and can help you make a better guided purchase in the future.

Big time fan of road biking. Good bibs are pricey but worth the cash to me. Luckily there are ton of places online that have sales on them often. The tough part is everyone has a different opinion about what works/fits best so you will just have to try them. Right up there with shorts the right saddle and good bike fit are key to me as well.

I'm glad you're stoked about riding. Be careful though it's yet another fun hobby to throw money at. Finally convinced the wife that I "needed" a custom built bike to add to the collection. On the plus side it makes the shaving habit seem very affordable.

:thumbup: CAT VI here lol. I too used to laugh at biker's apparel and to baby step into it. First with loose MTB shorts. (only after about three miles too far in khaki shorts). Then tight biker shorts with built in chamois after tiring of loose shorts catching on saddle when the light turns green. Finally committed to bibs after experiencing sagging shorts a hour into a ride.
Be safe out there.

LOL
That's the real reason for bibs over shorts: never have to pull them back up (or be a bicycling plumber)

Yeah, but you need to make sure the straps fit your body or you'll be modifying them. I have a pair of team bibs that I'll cross the straps to tighten them up... I was happy when that pair of bibs became obsolete. The waistband of shorts cut into my abdomen and I find that annoyingly uncomfortable and that's why I wear bibs.

I love road biking. If you know anything about the bay area, it's THE place for roadies in the U.S. A few years ago, between 18-22, I would ride roughly 100 mi. a week. sometimes more. Not sure why I stopped :/
It's funny because there would be health nuts, and often I would out bike them up and down our mountain roads, and I'm a half pack a day smoker.

I remember one time this hard core biker would try to keep up with me on my fuji newest 1.0 and not top of the line kit. He had I think a cervelo and some pretty expensive kit. I just smashed him up and down the mountain, and having no shame that I usually don't have, stopped at a restaurant, as he pulled up, I lit a smoke after all of that...The look on his face and others was priceless, he was huffing and puffing, and I'm just chillin'.
I'm not proud of smoking at all(I really want to quit) but it was just funny as hell.
Like, he got beat by a smoker.

SPEAKING OF BIKES, can anyone recommend some good shorts and pedals? shorts under 60$ preferably. Pedals under 90$ , and shoes as well under the 60$ mark, my shoes got beat up and I never liked my pedals much.

...can anyone recommend some good shorts and pedals? shorts under 60$ preferably. Pedals under 90$ , and shoes as well under the 60$ mark, my shoes got beat up and I never liked my pedals much.

I'm not sure what you're looking for; but for pedals and shoes you'll want to flip those prices. Assuming you're looking at clipless pedals, you can get mid range shimano pedals that will be very good for around $60-70. If you're looking at single sided road pedals, look for PD-5800 series. if you're looking for a two sided mtb pedal, go for PD-m540 series.

Shoes and shorts are all personal preference and you want them to be comfortable. I'll easily spend two or three times your limit for a good pair of shorts or shoes. At $60, you're looking at entry level shorts and shoes, unless you get really lucky with a closeout somewhere.

I'm not sure what you're looking for; but for pedals and shoes you'll want to flip those prices. Assuming you're looking at clipless pedals, you can get mid range shimano pedals that will be very good for around $60-70. If you're looking at single sided road pedals, look for PD-5800 series. if you're looking for a two sided mtb pedal, go for PD-m540 series.

Shoes and shorts are all personal preference and you want them to be comfortable. I'll easily spend two or three times your limit for a good pair of shorts or shoes. At $60, you're looking at entry level shorts and shoes, unless you get really lucky with a closeout somewhere.

Hmm, okay, thank you!
Do people on roadies really use MtB pedals?

If you're not too hung up on labels, and from what I gather from your other posts you aren't, then take a look at http://www.aerotechdesigns.com. I've had good luck with their jerseys and bike shorts. They aren't exactly what elite racers are looking for, but they are more than good enough for mere mortals like me.

If you're not too hung up on labels, and from what I gather from your other posts you aren't, then take a look at http://www.aerotechdesigns.com. I've had good luck with their jerseys and bike shorts. They aren't exactly what elite racers are looking for, but they are more than good enough for mere mortals like me.

I actually laugh at people who are decked out in gear with names all over them, then you catch up with them and they don't compete, they are just die hard bikers.
I've actually smashed people up mountains who "compete"......Thanks for the website, I actually like their stuff!

I actually laugh at people who are decked out in gear with names all over them, then you catch up with them and they don't compete, they are just die hard bikers.

Sometimes that's what's available at the LBS they support. I would rather good fit than worry about what brand of clothing I'm wearing.

Though I did just buy a batman bike suit off Amazon... because Batman.

Hmm, okay, thank you!
Do people on roadies really use MtB pedals?

I personally do. Shimanon M520. Why? Because I want to be able to walk normal in my bike shoes.

Put in 21 miles today, surely could have gone farther with a rest, food, and water, but hey, I earned some ice cream! :) I ride for fun. Usually only a 13 mile loop, but todays longer ride was great, I got to see a lot of country that you miss driving by in a car!

I ride upwards of 500 miles a month on the roads/dirt roads and another 200ish of single track. this is going to be a little scattered, but bare with me.

If you plan on doing any long distances road rides you will want proper road shoes and pedals. I have done plenty of century's /double century's road events/100 mile mountain bike races with mountain shoes on and the pressure from the cleat on the bottom of your foot can/will cause a hot spot and become uncomfortable. If you want a double sided road pedal get something from speedplay.
Bibs and shorts are like razor blades and razors, YMMV. That being said, a $120 pair of bib's will last longer and be more comfortable than a $50 pair of bibs. Higher quality fabrics, breath better, yad yad. Castelli makes great clothing in wide range of fits (Club vs Race) as well Assos. And, if you do not know, go commando under your bike shorts. Bibs take a little more effort to prep for nature calls, but they are much, much ,more comfortable in the long run.
Butt lube is key to a happy taint, make sure the twig and berries get a little love too. Much like shaving soaps, hand made stuff is better. Mad alchemy is my go to brand.

And, it is worth mentioning, as it is already prevalent in this thread.. Don't hassle/make fun people that are slower than you, because they are already faster than someone who is not out there, and there is always someone that is faster than you.

Last edited:
LOL
That's the real reason for bibs over shorts: never have to pull them back up (or be a bicycling plumber)

Bike shorts are good for a prank... If your buddy is wearing them... It's called the covered wagon. Grab the waist band and pull back and down hooking it under the seat. Their first instinct will be to stand-up, exposing their butt and stretching their shorts like the cover over a wagon.

I may be getting a roadbike sooner, rather than later! A friend is selling his Cannondale (not sure the model) for a GREAT price. I'm gonna give it a test ride today or tomorrow.

Top Bottom