What's new

Newbie "Howdy Ya'll" from Texas

Same here. I switched from the Fusion to the Dorco 6-blade cartridge which was about half the cost, then thought why not try DE and see how bad it could be? After my first DE shave, I was shocked that it was actually more comfortable than the Fusion. It did take a few months to try out a bunch of different razors and blades to find the right combo for me, but now that I have, my only expenses are soaps/creams and blades.

How are you enjoying your experience so far?

Well, I've not arrived at the DE being more comfortable than the Fusion yet. Still learning my beard patterns, trying blades, and building a skillset. But I will say that I am quite a bit enjoying the ritual aspect of the DE shaving experience already. Such as selecting a blade and soap/cream, working a lather, pre-shave prep, and the like. Already noting improvement in my shave quality over each prior, so I'll get there soon enough.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Howdy from Houston!

(I grew up near that alligator dude, but I had some sense, I guess)

Hello lads and lasses,

Just getting started with DE shaving and this looks like a fine forum for cultivating this new to me hobby/skill/passion.

Actually had my interest in DE piqued by a thread on another unrelated forum, gave it a try, and am really enjoying the experience so far.

I've only just had my 10th DE shave in two weeks time, and having been a cartridge and aerosol foam shaver for the past 25 years or so, I just didn't have any idea what I was missing. :blushing: Quite an enjoyable experience. Makes for a nice relaxing routine at the end of the day.

Starting with a EJ DE87, sampler blades, Parker badger brush, Proraso green pre and cream, and Clubman Pinaud AS. Seemed like a solid "classic" type starter kit for a newbie based on popular product reviews, so that's how that came together. Already figured out the Derbys "ain't gonna cut it for me" so to speak - pun intended. Much better personal results with 7 O'clock & Wilkinson Sword so far.

Anyhow, look forward to learning more from you fine folks and your wealth of knowledge, as well as being able to make my own contributions once my experience grows. :thumbup1:
what key areas do you think you need help in shaving?

what key areas do you think you need help in shaving?

Hi Alex,
Thank you for extending an invitation for tutelage. I think right now, it's a combination of:

1. Developing my technique and getting growth patterns committed to memory, which of course, will come in time.

2. Finding which products work best for me.
I'm currently considering if I may need to try a more aggressive razor. While I've come to find Feather and 7 O'clock yellow are working the most efficiently of the blades I've tried, I still have to add pressure or buff to get a nice smooth shave. (w/grain, across grain, across grain the other way. Against the grain just snags the razor?)
I've added a Maggard MR5 handle to the EJ87 head and I do think the extra weight has helped somewhat. (I hold my razor at the butt end of the handle) I'm wondering if the 87 is just a little too tame for my stubble?
Pre shave prep is either a hot shower or a hot water sink face wash, then with face still wet, scrubbing in bloom water and letting that sit while I work a lather.
I know a lot of newbs automatically claim they have a course beard, but in my case I think that may actually hold true. I've had more than one significant other comment/complain about how rough my stubble is :001_huh:

Hi Alex,
Thank you for extending an invitation for tutelage. I think right now, it's a combination of:

1. Developing my technique and getting growth patterns committed to memory, which of course, will come in time.

2. Finding which products work best for me.
I'm currently considering if I may need to try a more aggressive razor. While I've come to find Feather and 7 O'clock yellow are working the most efficiently of the blades I've tried, I still have to add pressure or buff to get a nice smooth shave. (w/grain, across grain, across grain the other way. Against the grain just snags the razor?)
I've added a Maggard MR5 handle to the EJ87 head and I do think the extra weight has helped somewhat. (I hold my razor at the butt end of the handle) I'm wondering if the 87 is just a little too tame for my stubble?
Pre shave prep is either a hot shower or a hot water sink face wash, then with face still wet, scrubbing in bloom water and letting that sit while I work a lather.
I know a lot of newbs automatically claim they have a course beard, but in my case I think that may actually hold true. I've had more than one significant other comment/complain about how rough my stubble is :001_huh:
maybe too much pressure. ..... what blades are you using?

maybe too much pressure. ..... what blades are you using?

I've honed in on Feather and 7 O'clock yellow as mainstay blades for me. They seem to work most efficiently from what I've tried thus far.What I've done since my last post here was have a good look at my razors EJ87, and a newly acquired pre war Tech. Loaded both, studied the geometry of the heads, blade gaps, and cutting angle against a piece of plate glass. Kind of studied how they'll cut and how to hold each angle wise and shaved with both for comparison. I'm finding the Tech, with it's flatter head shape and slightly wider gap either just works better for me, or else is better suited for my technique. Had quite a good shave with the Tech and Feather, so I'm getting there.

I've honed in on Feather and 7 O'clock yellow as mainstay blades for me. They seem to work most efficiently from what I've tried thus far.What I've done since my last post here was have a good look at my razors EJ87, and a newly acquired pre war Tech. Loaded both, studied the geometry of the heads, blade gaps, and cutting angle against a piece of plate glass. Kind of studied how they'll cut and how to hold each angle wise and shaved with both for comparison. I'm finding the Tech, with it's flatter head shape and slightly wider gap either just works better for me, or else is better suited for my technique. Had quite a good shave with the Tech and Feather, so I'm getting there.
You may have to keep on searching for either the right blade or right Razor. I would suggest to try an adjustable Razor the variety of different shave levels can help you assess to see if you are having have gap or technique issues

Last edited:
Top Bottom