What's new

New to Wet shaving, still looking for my perfect razor

Hello all. I am relatively new to the wet shaving world. I started by buying a Parker 90R on Amazon. It was a decent razor and I have tried a couple of different blades, Shark, Wilkinson's, Feather. I am still looking for that perfect razor. My 90R got destroyed during am move and being broke at the time I went and bought one of those cheap Microtouch One's at Target. I know, it is crap, but it shaves okay. I am looking at probably moving on to a nice adjustable (Fatboy or Slim for Vintage, or the Futur if I go new). Just wondering if any body had some direct personal experience with all three that they could share. Thanks.

.....or brushes, or blades, or creams. You get the picture.

Hello and welcome, Scott. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

I know you said adjustable. But, if you want something that is cheap and nice plus ships quick. Check out http://www.maggardrazors.com/ They have their own brand of DE verry affordable and I like mine. If you are there though don't forget to check the clearance section for one. I also hear the 2.0 heads are a better option then the 1.0 heads. I know with my 1.0 head the blade alignment is a little rough. Also, with you being new do you think an adjustable is a good idea? I am not trying to put you off on it as I am thinking about one. But it seems like another variable. Kind of like changing too much too quick. I could be completely off base on this.

I know you said adjustable. But, if you want something that is cheap and nice plus ships quick. Check out http://www.maggardrazors.com/ They have their own brand of DE verry affordable and I like mine. If you are there though don't forget to check the clearance section for one. I also hear the 2.0 heads are a better option then the 1.0 heads. I know with my 1.0 head the blade alignment is a little rough. Also, with you being new do you think an adjustable is a good idea? I am not trying to put you off on it as I am thinking about one. But it seems like another variable. Kind of like changing too much too quick. I could be completely off base on this.

I totally get what you are saying. I have been wet using DE, between the two cheap ones I have had, for about 18 months, playing with creams, soaps, etc. The adjustable intrigues me, maybe the novelty of it, and being able to dial it in where I want it. I would like to give it a try. Seems like instead of trying a bunch of razors (and spending money) it is an idea to play with settings and blades on one. I am not against non-adjustables, and I am sure my collection is just starting. I have some non that I have my eye on too.

Last edited:
I have a Slim and FB as well as a Progress. At one time I owned a Futur but found it too bulky to shave under my nose and sold it. I prefer the Progress a bit above the FB and Slim but any of them would be great.

I totally get what you are saying. I have been wet using DE, between the two cheap ones I have had, for about 18 months, playing with creams, soaps, etc. The adjustable intrigues me, maybe the novelty of it, and being able to dial it in where I want it. I would like to give it a try. Seems like instead of trying a bunch of razors (and spending money) it is an idea to play with settings and blades on one. I am not against non-adjustables, and I am sure my collection is just starting. I have some non that I have my eye on too.

Makes sense. There are a fair share of them on eBay

There are many options and many choices to be made when it comes to DE shaving. That's what makes it fun!
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the journey!

You'll never find the perfect razor, and it's Quixotic and expense to make the attempt. And you'll never know what works for you based on other people's experience. I've got a very cheapo bakelite Star which was obviously what a man who couldn't afford a Gillette Tech might have owned back in 1948. One of the finest shavers out there. At least it is for me.

The one razor which I always recommend to people new to this is a bit of an unsung hero, namely the Schick Krona. This is such a YMMV thing, but I seriously believe that more people will get more mileage out of these than from anything else. As far as new ones go, the Pearl line provides excellent value for the money, IMO, and is often overlooked.

Okay, So call it a drunken decision, but I found a Fatboy on ebay that I think is a decent price. Paid $65, didn't want to go too high. The prices for these things are getting crazy. This seems to be a pretty close to what I saw for one in this condition. Not paying $100 for just the razor.

Fatboy - G3 Date Code

I also have a Slim I have my eye on that I am currently winning. We will see.

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I bought a slim in very excellent condition for $20 at my local flea market back in the early spring. That was a good flea market day. I love it. Been looking for a Fat Boy ever since. Wouldnt make one of those adjustables my daily driver, but its nice to have them in the rotation.

Okay, So call it a drunken decision, but I found a Fatboy on ebay that I think is a decent price. Paid $65, didn't want to go too high. The prices for these things are getting crazy. This seems to be a pretty close to what I saw for one in this condition. Not paying $100 for just the razor.

Fatboy - G3 Date Code

I also have a Slim I have my eye on that I am currently winning. We will see.
Looks really nice good condition let us know how you like it

$$_57 (1).jpg

Top Bottom