What's new

Shaving like

Hey All

I'm in a the middle of a heat wave so I decided to give cold water shaving a try.

I remember watching on the show Band of Brothers one of the main characters breaking the ice in an ammo can and using the water to shave. I've heard about cold water shaving and I thought why not.

$00034r7p.jpg

Broke out my 68 Gillette Super Speed and a puck of Williams soap, filled up the sink with the cold stuff.

Soaked my badger brush and then loaded up the Williams. Now I've always had a little bit of trouble getting a good lather with Williams. I was surprised how nicely the Williams lathered up.

Splashed some cold water on my face and then applied the lather. It was strange because I could feel the cold hard steel of the razor as it cleanly removed the hair.

It left my face smooth, clean and cool.

Splashed my face with some more cold water. A little after shave and I was done. Clean Cool and Simple. I may never use warm water again. Well maybe when it get cold outside and there is 3 feet of snow on the ground.

I guess if I really want to shave ... I should use an Army Helmet to hold the cold water.

View attachment 584431

Last edited by a moderator:
I only use cold water now. Usually tap water temp so it varies throughout the year but
I sometimes through a frozen steak in the sink to chill the water. A good steak after a good shave works. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Try shaving with a bayonet, that would be impressive.
Oh, and we need some confirmation PICS.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I only use cold water now and have been for quite some time. Even during the winter months. Call me crazy but I feel like I don't get as many weepers (typically none). My theory is that the hot water softens your skin and causes even the slightest wrong angle to produce a weeper.

I do however prefer warm water to rinse my razor in between strokes. IMO it removes the lather/hair better.

Ok. I was curious. Just did my first cold water shave. Cold soak for the badger, cold water in the sink, cold water to lather and cold water for my between pass rinse. Wow. Normally I'm a 3 pass plus touch ups guy for BBS or DFS but today 2 passes. No touch ups. No nicks. Alum block stung more than usual but not too bad. Maybe a new technique ....

I know I'm gonna change my routine!! COLD all the way.

Now I get to retry all my soaps in COLD and see how they behave. :001_smile

Ok. I was curious. Just did my first cold water shave. Cold soak for the badger, cold water in the sink, cold water to lather and cold water for my between pass rinse. Wow. Normally I'm a 3 pass plus touch ups guy for BBS or DFS but today 2 passes. No touch ups. No nicks. Alum block stung more than usual but not too bad. Maybe a new technique ....

Ahh, for those halcyon days when I boiled water to soak my brush and razor. Nowadays it's a warm shower followed by the cold water shave. A real eye-opner in the morning. And yes, the cold steel on your face is a good reminder of what sort of weapon you're wielding.
For some reason I'm reminded of that line from "The Magnificent Seven" by The Clash.

"Cold water in the face,
Brings you back to this awful place"

Cold water shaving is the way to go in hot weather. Especially using Proraso Menthol.
Refreshing, envigorating, effective.

Cold water and regular Ivory bar soap applied with your hands. Sometimes no soap. Other stuff are just luxuries in a combat zone.

Hey All

I'm in a the middle of a heat wave so I decided to give cold water shaving a try.

I remember watching on the show Band of Brothers one of the main characters breaking the ice in an ammo can and using the water to shave. I've heard about cold water shaving and I thought why not.

View attachment 584430

Broke out my 68 Gillette Super Speed and a puck of Williams soap, filled up the sink with the cold stuff.

Soaked my badger brush and then loaded up the Williams. Now I've always had a little bit of trouble getting a good lather with Williams. I was surprised how nicely the Williams lathered up.

Splashed some cold water on my face and then applied the lather. It was strange because I could feel the cold hard steel of the razor as it cleanly removed the hair.

It left my face smooth, clean and cool.

Splashed my face with some more cold water. A little after shave and I was done. Clean Cool and Simple. I may never use warm water again. Well maybe when it get cold outside and there is 3 feet of snow on the ground.

I guess if I really want to shave ... I should use an Army Helmet to hold the cold water.

View attachment 584431
Glad to hear you had a good experience. You should sign up for C.O.L.D (connoisseurs of lower degrees), the B&B brotherhood for cold water shavers and spread the good word.

I would love to try cold water shaving, but living in southern Louisiana cold is a relative term. Tap water comes out closer to boiling than it does freezing (not really but I was trying to be poetic). I would have to refrigerate water to do this.

To be honest, don't see any difference between cold/warm water regarding the quality of shave. So, i use whatever i feel like. I noticed some soaps not performing very well with cold water, but not by a much. I generally use warm water, but i'm going for cold if i want a fast shave.

Top Bottom