What's new

Ribs - recipe inside

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I've been catching up on House of Cards and thought that it would be good to have some ribs. Summer is now here, the Weber is ready so why not?!

I did some googling as I was hoping that I could find a good recipe... Well, I had one already, or I should say many as I own a few books from Steven Raichlen.

I did find a short video of Curtis Stone showing how to make Freddie's ribs!

That's exactly what I did... Well, almost... Curtis is fairly easy to follow and he makes good stuff. I found the written version here: http://communitytable.parade.com/23...s-stones-freddys-sticky-saucy-barbecued-ribs/

So, this was a 3 part process

Part 1 - Marinating

I took his recipe and did half of it as I can't eat 2 racks of ribs, it's too much. Anyways, so in half this is what I had for the dry rub

1/8 cup packed light brown sugar
1.5 Tbsp hot paprika
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp ground cumin

I did not have sweet paprika so I used the spicy one. I mixed everything and applied the rub and wrapped the ribs
$SANY7168.jpg

I left the ribs in there for 24hrs

Part 2 - Sauce

Fairly easy so far. I started the weber as I usually do and soaked some cherry wood with 1 shot of Jameson (I did not have the same whiskey as he did). I thought that it would add some flavours also.

I made the sauce while the Weber was getting hot. Again, easy

1 Tbsp canola oil
1 yellow onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 cup whiskey

3/4 cups cider vinegar

1 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tomatoes chopped
1/2 cup honey
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp yellow mustard
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper

I had sweet paprika this time as I went to the store this morning.

In a small pot, I put the oil and warmed it up over medium heat. I added the onion and then garlic. I mixed it a bit and waiting for the onion to be translucent. I then added the paprika, whiskey and cider vinegar. I waited for the broth to simmer again and added the broth, tomatoes, honey, Worcestershire sauce, mustard (I used French), salt and black pepper.

$SANY7167.jpg

I let the whole thing simmer for a good 20-30 mins. I then sent it in the vitamix and made sure that I had a smooth sauce. I turn the Vitamix on high for 2 minutes. Back to the pot, I reduced the sauce until it was half (thicker).

Part 3 - Grilling

I setup the Weber for indirect grilling. I filled an aluminum container with the water that I soaked the woodchips in and I added a bit more so it's half way. I put my coal on one side and the woodchips were on top. I then put the piece of meat and it didn't take long to smoke.
$SANY7170.jpg
$SANY7171.jpg
I did 20 mins on one side, turned it, put some sauce on it, 20 more minutes, turned again with more sauce. That way, I did not contaminated my sauce with raw meat.

On the last shot (20 mins to cook, flip, 20 mins with sauce on one side, flip, added more sauce), I left the ribs in the Weber for 8 minutes. I then moved the ribs over the fire, added more sauce and flipped right away, added more sauce, flipped again and waited 20 sec.

Took it off the fire and gave it 10 mins to rest. Once that was done, I sliced the ribs and poured more sauce as I like the ribs saucy.

It was awesome! That plate was clean after!
$SANY7172.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks… looks great. My apartment building bans us grilling on our balconies, but they do provide two huge gas grills for us in the courtyard. Neighbors lined up today to grill stuff. Very pleasant, but we need more grills!

Luc

Staff member
I believe that you can cook the ribs in the oven if you want to. I did it in the past and it turns out good. It's a good alternative in the winter, during summer, not so much.

Luc

Staff member
Luc what was your total time cooking? They sure look good!

Surprisingly, not that long. I believe that it is recommended to cook for 3 hrs, I did mine in 75 mins. They were not tough, the meat was falling off the bone.

Luc

Staff member
This is back on the menu for Saturday. I will do one without cayenne and one with cayenne. Will post results and left overs if any.

Luc

Staff member
I doubt it... May try a picture before anyone touches anything...

Luc

Staff member
Ribs are marinating, fire in 12hrs

Luc

Staff member
Ribs are gone, 2 racks, 10mins on the table

Luc

Staff member
Sorry, no pictures this week. It was a barbaric feast! There was rib sauce all over the place. No leftovers.

Luc

Staff member
I haven't tried cooking them with a pan of water. I will give this one a shot (hopefully next weekend).

The pan made them less dry I would say. Not that they were really dry usually but it did change something. I would recommend removing the pan of water when you are done (and that everything cooled down). I left it in there for 2 days and it was starting to get stinky in there!

Top Bottom