What's new

Do I truly NEED a new brush?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
You're going to have a hard time beating Shavemac for a good 2-band badger knot. Simpsons Manchurian knots also are something quite special.

Do I truly NEED a new brush?
Is need the only reason to get a new brush? I've had no problems lathering with any brush but I have certainly purchased several brushes despite that and I wouldn't have found my new favorites without trying. Life would be very dull if it was only about need.

My answer to myself is 'probably not' because I am more than happy with my Wilkinson Sword boar brushes.
Are those the only brushes that you have experience with? if so, nothing wrong with wanting to try out other options whether it's a different type of bristle like badger, synthetic, etc or even different boars. You have to experience the options to find what works best for you. If one has not had the experience with options then one could certainly be happy with what one already has and that applies to any topic -- not just brushes and not just shaving gear.

Well, I couldn't wait until payday for the Kent, so I satisfied my brush lust with a Body Shop synthetic. I actually looked at them last weekend and thought they felt quite nice, but left without purchasing as I wanted to ensure it wasn't an impulse buy. Made the purchase today, nearly bought a tub of the Maca Root cream as well, but decided to wait on that for another week or so :D

The handle is a very simple design which probably helps keep the cost down, and the bristles appear to have sufficient backbone yet are uber soft on the tips. I'd say on first impressions it feels very much like a brush of double the price (on sale in the UK for £7). A couple of quick pics for those who've not seen one:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'll be using it tomorrow for a solid 7 days to get to know it and appreciate any quirks it may have.

Is need the only reason to get a new brush? I've had no problems lathering with any brush but I have certainly purchased several brushes despite that and I wouldn't have found my new favorites without trying. Life would be very dull if it was only about need.

Are those the only brushes that you have experience with? if so, nothing wrong with wanting to try out other options whether it's a different type of bristle like badger, synthetic, etc or even different boars. You have to experience the options to find what works best for you. If one has not had the experience with options then one could certainly be happy with what one already has and that applies to any topic -- not just brushes and not just shaving gear.

This is all very true hence my purchase today :smile:

Nick, simply based on your name alone, I would say you need to get yourself a Simpson of any Class, a Shavemac MUST be in your den as well... Once you have these, you'll NEED to get some Artisan brushes. There's simply no way around it...

Super soft boar with excellent backbone... Semogue 1800. Softness of a badger with the backbone of a boar. Price is unbeatable.

/thread

-Kesto

Nice!

Nick, simply based on your name alone, I would say you need to get yourself a Simpson of any Class, a Shavemac MUST be in your den as well... Once you have these, you'll NEED to get some Artisan brushes. There's simply no way around it...

I'm definitely tempted with a Semogue Owners Club in cherry or ash :) The Simpsons are very nice, but the ones I like are out of my price range currently. A Shavemac does look like an option down the road a little also. The Kent BK4 is my target brush for the meantime, it is Silver tipped, does that count? :idea:

Super soft boar with excellent backbone... Semogue 1800. Softness of a badger with the backbone of a boar. Price is unbeatable.

/thread

-Kesto
This too could well be in my collection :smile: Very reasonable cost the Semogue brushes, I could justify a few at their prices :smile:

No, Kent makes their brushes with a loft that's much to high... The loaded brush will not really scrub anything.

And if you care at all about your manhood and what we here will think of you, you need to NOT start out with a synthetic. Get it as a 3rd or 4th brush. Once you have your badgers in line.

Any guy who doesn't have at least one Plisson synthetic & one WD synthetic absolutely needs more brushes! I currently own 3 Plissions, a WD 30mm with a WD 24mm on the way, an Omega Pro, a Kent Infinity & a Parker. All are synthetic brushes. Fortunately my wife thinks my brush addiction is inexpensive ~ as compared to lap dances at the sleazy bar next to the Harley shop.

Any guy who doesn't have at least one Plisson synthetic & one WD synthetic absolutely needs more brushes! I currently own 3 Plissions, a WD 30mm with a WD 24mm on the way, an Omega Pro, a Kent Infinity & a Parker. All are synthetic brushes. Fortunately my wife thinks my brush addiction is inexpensive ~ as compared to lap dances at the sleazy bar next to the Harley shop.

So not one badger? Not even a cheap Parker? All Synthetic, not one Boar, or Horse? Are their any medical reasons for this atrocity?

All in favor of banning OttoVonFaart, and taking his shaving privileges away for life say "I" :thumbup1:

Your rep is on the line.... What are you gonna do?

I've already got two boars, the Body Shop brush is my third brush...come payday, a Kent BK4 will be mine. I did spot on their website that they offer a horn handle, but only with best badger, not silver tip :(

Good man.. Enjoy the new member to the family.

I personally think todays resin is a MUCH better material (engineeringly speaking) than any other in the past. I LOATH Ivory users (pre or post) I don't care.Horn, well it depends how it is harvested I suppose, I was actually thinking about a Duke 3 in horn. However todays resins can be made to be of such beauty, and are not prone to cracking or breaking (as easily). I think resin material is an engineering marvel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom