What's new

Developing aversions to scents

I used Nivea Sensitive at least a dozen times over the past few months and thought it smelled fine.

The last couple of times I used it, something about the scent stopped appealing to me and I actually felt it was not all that great, to the point of deciding I probably don't want to use it anymore.

I don't have this issue with Dove Men +Care.

Ever had this experience with anything?

Last edited:
Since the beginnng of my classic wet shaving venture. There was an pleasant remedie for that.
MORE PRODUCTS +1

Some scents grow on me, and some wear on me. Another possibility is that sometimes products are getting close to old when you buy them. When you first try them they smell OK, but as they get older still they get an "off" scent to them.

Either way, if you no longer enjoy it, buy another aftershave (or two).

Arko is a great performing soap, and a whale of a bargain.

But then I read on this forum someone's description of the smell...the words "urinal cake" were used.

The next time I lathered it up I smelled urinal cake, and couldn't finish the shave.

I have never used it again.

For some reason, I always get a whiff of urinal cake when I use Floid Vigoroso. I like it in spite of that, but other than curiosity I haven't felt inclined to try Arko.

There are plenty of alternatives!

I used Nivea Sensitive at least a dozen times over the past few months and thought it smelled fine.

The last couple of times I used it, something about the scent stopped appealing to me and I actually felt it was not all that great, to the point of deciding I probably don't want to use it anymore.

I don't have this issue with Dove Men +Care.

Ever had this experience with anything?
I generally try to avoid heavily scented products anyway...makes my head foggy. I try to stick with unscented or low scented products

Arko is a great performing soap, and a whale of a bargain.

But then I read on this forum someone's description of the smell...the words "urinal cake" were used.

The next time I lathered it up I smelled urinal cake, and couldn't finish the shave.

I have never used it again.

Arko has a huge and loyal following but the very first time I tried it the scent just hit me wrong. I ended up PIF'ing what I had left here on the forum!

Arko is a great performing soap...

... on this forum someone's description of the smell...the words "urinal cake" were used.

Well. Wow. I had heard it was a love it / hate it thing. It left me wondering what it actually smelled like - but hadn't seen anyone give a description. I'm one of those weird guys that loves the smell of a freshly coated parking lot - or a good coal tar shampoo.

Well, figure I'll give Arko a try one day, but this doesn't exactly motivate me to place an order!

The olfactory is complex. The sense of smell is a very powerful psychological trigger, and also linked to physical 'allergic' reactions. I can only use scents that trigger "good vibes' if you will. Others make me sneeze. I believe this phenomena both exists on the conscious and subconscious level along with the physical. We don't always know why a particular scent doesn't work, but we surely know it doesn't. Often our body simply rejects a scent. Over time, psychological factors and physical 'allergic' reactions ebb and flow. Sometimes they can change based on the seasons, similar to seasonal allergies. Sometimes as we age scents no longer appeal.

Last edited:
Yep.

For myself, as I started using only high end scents I started abhorring the stronger modern scents and even becoming sensitive to the individual notes of each scent I was using. Eventually I got to the point where only lightly scented products could be used.

In short you adjust. Use what you like.

Chris

Yep.

For myself, as I started using only high end scents I started abhorring the stronger modern scents and even becoming sensitive to the individual notes of each scent I was using. Eventually I got to the point where only lightly scented products could be used.

In short you adjust. Use what you like.

Chris

Im curious, Chris. Can you give examples of strong modern scents you abhor and which lightly scented products you enjoy? I've got 30+ colognes in full bottles and, although I use them all, I definitely use some more than others. My preferences don't seem to be age- or strength-based.

Im curious, Chris. Can you give examples of strong modern scents you abhor and which lightly scented products you enjoy? I've got 30+ colognes in full bottles and, although I use them all, I definitely use some more than others. My preferences don't seem to be age- or strength-based.

Scott, I'd ordinarily be inclined to share but don't want to offend anyone. That said I'll share a little bit and hope no one here takes umbrage.

I discovered a cache of old fragrances that I'd worn in my 20's (the 1990's) and I just can't stomach them. The excellent Fahrenheit is one example (and I have the original formulation) among others. At the time it garnered much praise from the women I was dating and working with. Now it just gives me a headache. Cool Water is another example. Le Male is still another. They all smell like industrial fuel to me now. But that said they do smell good if your olfactories are accustomed. I truly believe it has to do with being accustomed to such scents.

I can distinguish these scents on other folks and they smell wonderful from a distance. One example is my Father who loves Le Male ever since I introduced it to him approximately 20 years ago. He smells fantastic when he enters a room. He often gets compliments but I just can't wear it, personally, anymore because the scent on my person is just too toxic, even in a low dose. Also, with any fragrance and especially with more modern fragrances there is too much on some people and I've smelled Le Male on guys that just bath in it and it's heinous.

What I wear now most folks probably can't smell beyond a slight whiff if they are close. Bay rum and lavender water are great examples. I'll also offer Caswell and Massey's Jockey Club (only a drop behind each ear) and English Fern (or Trumper's Wild Fern). Or even Dunhill for Men (1934 version). Canoe is also another excellent example.

In the end one must use what one likes and can accommodate. Just be judicious in the amount you apply as not to offend others.

Chris

Top Bottom