What's new

Music Theory and paranormal showes!

Technically the form chromesthesia.

I am a one percenter. :tongue_sm

Pardon me if I'm being too forward, we had studied types of synesthesia in some neuroscience/neuropsychology courses I have taken so I'm fascinated and curious. Would you mind explaining how it presents for you? What becomes a shape or color for you and how do they change?

Was just reading a little about synesthesia...I used to get frustrated when people asked me what it was like to be dyslexic...I can only imagine what it's like for you to try to answer that question. With dyslexia no two are alike. I'm thinking that's probably the same with synesthesia chromesthesia.

Pardon me if I'm being too forward, we had studied types of synesthesia in some neuroscience/neuropsychology courses I have taken so I'm fascinated and curious. Would you mind explaining how it presents for you? What becomes a shape or color for you and how do they change?

I will try my best below.

Was just reading a little about synesthesia...I used to get frustrated when people asked me what it was like to be dyslexic...I can only imagine what it's like for you to try to answer that question. With dyslexia no two are alike. I'm thinking that's probably the same with synesthesia chromesthesia.

It is tricky, but I am somewhat comfortable having experienced attempts to explain in the past and gone through some testing. Thank you for your compassion.

My humble explanation: Let us say I am listening to a piece of music or playing a piece of music. The major key of G when heard, for example, will present itself as blue in my minds eye. If I play in the same key, and look at the fretboard, the color blue will be present and manifest itself in geometric shapes, which act as a sometimes rough and other times rather precise guideline pointing to the correct notes that 'fit' in that key or piece. Like a built in paint by numbers. The notes that 'fit' in that particular key(or piece) have color gradients which are "shades" of blue. Depending on the pitch and tone they can range from deep purple to pale blue. Minor keys are darker, 7ths are brighter, etc. I can't read music very well and have no formal musical training.

The color phenomenon occurs when listening to any type of music. I have only played string instruments and some keyboard.

Last edited:

It is tricky, but I am somewhat comfortable having experienced attempts to explain in the past. Thank you for your compassion.

My humble explanation: Let us say I am listening to a piece of music or playing a piece of music. The major key of G when heard, for example, will present itself as blue in my minds eye. If I play in the same key, and look at the fretboard, the color blue will be present and manifest itself in geometric shapes, which act as a sometimes rough and other times rather precise guideline pointing to the correct notes that 'fit' in that key. Like a built in paint by numbers. The notes that 'fit' in that particular key(or piece) have color gradients which are "shades" of blue. Depending on the pitch and tone they can range from deep purple to pale blue. Minor keys are darker, 7ths are brighter, etc. I can't read music very well and have no formal musical training.

Interesting...music that uses more of a chromatic approach must mess with you. Certain types of jazz must drive you up the wall! Are you a fan of classical music? The reason I ask is today we use modes to produce different effects but most classical composers didnt. The modes we use today are different because Pythagoras made a few errors. Classical composers had to use a major/minor system too keep from being bored to tears. But then again since you haven't had any formal training you might not even be aware of it.

Interesting...music that uses more of a chromatic approach must mess with you. Certain types of jazz must drive you up the wall! Are you a fan of classical music? The reason I ask is today we use modes to produce different effects but most classical composers didnt. The modes we use today are different because Pythagoras made a few errors. Classical composers had to use a major/minor system too keep from being bored to tears. But then again since you haven't had any formal training you might not even be aware of it.

I adore classical music and I love most jazz.

Spot on about jazz. Although I really like Ornette Coleman, there are times I get frenzied multi-colored ping pong balls spinning in a centrifuge. I have learned to embrace the "madness".

Chopin is a little to feminine for me. I'm a Beethoven/Mozart/Paganini/Wagner man myself. I guess I need plenty of Testosterone in my compositions. Heh Beethoven used to bang on his keys so hard he'd break hammers all the time! Now there's a man with fire in his belly!

It is tricky, but I am somewhat comfortable having experienced attempts to explain in the past and gone through some testing. Thank you for your compassion.

My humble explanation: Let us say I am listening to a piece of music or playing a piece of music. The major key of G when heard, for example, will present itself as blue in my minds eye. If I play in the same key, and look at the fretboard, the color blue will be present and manifest itself in geometric shapes, which act as a sometimes rough and other times rather precise guideline pointing to the correct notes that 'fit' in that key or piece. Like a built in paint by numbers. The notes that 'fit' in that particular key(or piece) have color gradients which are "shades" of blue. Depending on the pitch and tone they can range from deep purple to pale blue. Minor keys are darker, 7ths are brighter, etc. I can't read music very well and have no formal musical training.

The color phenomenon occurs when listening to any type of music. I have only played string instruments and some keyboard.

I know you must have dealt with your fair share of uncertainty, unknowing, and confusion before finding out what was going on, so I greatly appreciate that you are willing to share and provide some personal insight on what you experience. Thank you. We can only get so much from textbooks, class lectures, and from reading studies while in school. Personal experience helps bring general information into a real world context.

Holmer,
I'm sure it can be frustrating being asked a lot of questions and I hope that you do not let it get to you too much. A lot of people are curious when they encounter something that they do not understand and will ask questions in an attempt to gain understanding. Through understanding, of the most debilitating disorders to the little understood psychological and neurological quirks, we can reduce the stigma that currently exists and reduce the ignorance of people who simply cannot fathom the obstacles others must endure. Personally, I'm studying psychology and neuroscience and, if I make it to grad school, may one day encounter individuals with synesthesia or dyslexia. My own knowledge and understanding will be a major contributor in my ability to assist them. I meant no disrespect and hope that my question was not viewed as being anything other than an innocent thirst for knowledge and understanding.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Chopin is a little to feminine for me. I'm a Beethoven/Mozart/Paganini/Wagner man myself. I guess I need plenty of Testosterone in my compositions. Heh Beethoven used to bang on his keys so hard he'd break hammers all the time! Now there's a man with fire in his belly!

Chopin is tinny. I like the nice, woody works of the latter four.

I know you must have dealt with your fair share of uncertainty, unknowing, and confusion before finding out what was going on, so I greatly appreciate that you are willing to share and provide some personal insight on what you experience. Thank you. We can only get so much from textbooks, class lectures, and from reading studies while in school. Personal experience helps bring general information into a real world context.

Keep up the good work.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom