What's new

Music Theory and paranormal showes!

Rather interesting. I watched a bit of the video and indeed, the Flatted Fifth is recognisable as 'horror music' once you pay attention to it. I also get it about the music guiding emotion in a horror film. Once we got a feature SAP(secondary audio programming) for television back in the early 80s, my mum told us to do an experiment. Turn on the Spanish language SAP and then watch the same movie. It was hilarious. Being a non Spanish speaking person it was about like watching the old overdubbed chop sockey Chinese Kung Fu movies from the early 70s. It mostly sounded a like a lot of; I will get you for this! sort of gibberish. It completely changed the mood of the film.

When we were little she told us the same thing about the musical scoring. If the movie got too intense just mute it for a minute and things wouldn't seem so scary. I have watched a few of these paranormal shows and they all employ the same technique. Cue up a loud section of 'scare music' and then quickly go to commercial break. Upon returning you go through two to four minutes of the exact same video footage leading up to the scare moment and then an inevitable let down moment when it is revealed the crew dropped a camera or piece of video gear or some event happened. In a half hour show you will see about a third of the video is repeated over and over. Some of these shows try to keep it a little more real than others but some of it is downright silly.

Good information about the music. I have come to wish I would have paid more attention to it growing up. I don't 'get' music like a lot of people do. Everyone typically has a quirky ability. My wife says mine is a somewhat photographic memory. At times I can see a 'snapshot' of something that happened or something I was reading forty plus years ago. Particularly from reading. At times it is almost like I am looking at the page of the book I was reading all those years ago. I always just chalked it up to something that really interested me at the time and I somehow filed it away for future reference. On the other hand, I can/could go from one room to the next and draw a complete blank about what I was going to do when I got there. The wifely unit refers to that as selective hearing/memory, etc.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If you play Ricky Ricardo's Babalu backwards, you can clearly hear Satan es un buen hombre.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I still like Classical just not playing it so much. I used to have this teacher with one of those pointer stick things... If he caught you slouching or if you didn't have your thumb planted in the middle of your guitar neck he'd crack you on the head. At 14 I told him if he cracked me on the head again I was going to kick him in the balls so hard he'd be choking on them...that was my last session with him...my mother was really pissed and I was grounded for the rest of the summer. After that I got a job after school saved up and got an 84 Gibson Explorer (that kinda crooked hourglass guitar James from Metallica plays and sometimes Billy Gibbens from ZZ Top playes) a Marshel half stack and started jamming with meatheads from school. That really pissed mom off....heh you gotta love teenagers. Nowadays I'm all about blues and classic rock. You might be surprised to hear that Classical and Metal are EXTREMELY closely related. Allot of guitar solos are straight classical techniques. Nicolo Paganini had more impact on Rock and Metal than Jimmy Hyndrix ever did. Paganini even started the whole show off thing you see guitarists do all the time. He was also rumored to having sold his soul to the devil too...ops...sorry I'm ranting again.

Well hears the thing with that...my grandfather was I believe a Master Mason. He tried really really hard to get me into it. One thing kept getting in the way though....how can I put this...After work...I'm feeling lazy. I want to crack a brewskie watch some sports play some guitar...you get the idea. Laziness and being a slacker doesn't go over well with Free Masons. They tend to frown on it...cause you people are always doing stuff. My grandfather was 90 something when he passed away and man I used to work up a sweat just watching him and his lodge buddy's doing all this community stuff. I'd tell him gramps chill out for a few relax some. He always said the same thing " Ill rest when I'm dead"! You know what? I can tell you for a fact he was lying through his teeth! I know damn good and well he's up their with the big man driven him nuts....doing Mason...STUFF with his lodge buddys. But to answer your question yeah I think about it. When he passed away I swear every Free Mason within 200 miles must have shown up at his funeral.

You sir are a very interesting man. And I mean that as a compliment. You've put some funny and intriguing posts in this thread.

I'm a Country fan. But not this new age sounds more like pop than country, country. I'm the 1970's - 2010 country guy. The last 5 years country music has really taken a dive - It literally makes me sick to hear it. Florida Georgia Line, Brantley Gilbert , Taylor Swift, these 3 make me see red to hear them on country radio. Especially Brantley Gilbert...the most non-country artist to ever claim country music in the history of country music. His singing style is to distort his voice to give himself a stupid raspy sound that is completely fake. No one has ever made me hate country music, but this guy...sends me over the edge.

Right around the point that baseball caps replaced cowboy hats is when country music started to decline.

If all of your rants are this educational, please rant on. Thank you for sharing, I found this very interesting.

If you wanna see something funny, watch the Rocky movies with the sound off and see how far away from hitting each other they were. It's probably like this for most choreographed fight scenes, but I've only tried it with Rocky.

If you wanna see something funny, watch the Rocky movies with the sound off and see how far away from hitting each other they were. It's probably like this for most choreographed fight scenes, but I've only tried it with Rocky.

If you haven't heard it yet do a YouTube search for The Dark Side of The Rainbow...heh has to do with muting the volume on The Wizard of Oz and Playing Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If you haven't heard it yet do a YouTube search for The Dark Side of The Rainbow...heh has to do with muting the volume on The Wizard of Oz and Playing Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

I've heard of movie theaters selling tickets for this.

I checked it out, and I'll be honest with you, I think you'd have to be really high to find any sort of connection between the two, or you were really looking for a connection therefore biased going into it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I checked it out, and I'll be honest with you, I think you'd have to be really high to find any sort of connection between the two, or you were really looking for a connection therefore biased going into it.

I felt the same way. Didn't get it at all. I was expecting to be wowed and to think "this can't be a coincidence" But really I was just like ....what the?

I worked with a guy a few years ago that watched it at a theater and said it was incredible. He was also the type of guy whom I would never hang out with if ya catch my drift.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
What I find fascinating is the use of major or minor key in the influence of the tone of a song.
There's a fellow named Oleg Berg who has done a lot of rework on well known songs to illustrate the point.

Here is the downbeat "Losing My Religion" by R.E.M. in a major key, note how upbeat it sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Here is the undeniably upbeat "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" by the Beatles in minor key, note how gloomy it sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mechanics of how that's done has to do with Modes. Sometimes there called Church Modes. If your familiar with the three Ancient Greek Architectural orders it's the same principal. Ionic, Doric and Corinthian. But in music there's 7 and there all named after regions in ancient Grece. Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian and Locrian. If you haven't studied music seriously for several years don't spend allot of time with them because you'll blow a gasket trying to figure them out. Just know and except that they work like the three Architectural orders. Each one has a signature sound. For Dorian think Hair Metal Rock Ballad. Mixolydian think of the old Jetsons cartoon "Meet George Jetson" also the Simpson's theme song and Skynerds Sweet Home Alabama. It's ULTRA perky! Aeolian is often described as sounding Celtic. You hear Aeolian allot in Thin Lizzy as well as Dorian.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You might be surprised to hear that Classical and Metal are EXTREMELY closely related. Allot of guitar solos are straight classical techniques. Nicolo Paganini had more impact on Rock and Metal than Jimmy Hyndrix ever did. Paganini even started the whole show off thing you see guitarists do all the time. He was also rumored to having sold his soul to the devil too...ops...sorry I'm ranting again.
I have never studied music, but somehow I knew this. I have listened to a lot of both. Instinct, I guess.

Top Bottom