What's new

Maggard MR5 Arrived Today!

I ordered my Maggard MR5 Handle the other day to pair up with my Maggard Open Comb Head and as is my Nature I had to fiddle a little with the handle. Since the heads are highly polished and the handles are brushed Stainless I decide to put some of my Stainless Steel E Cig Mod restoration knowledge to use and gave my MR5 Handle a nice shiny makeover to match the polished Head.

Here is the Handle Before, (With the Exception of the attaching end, I test polished that part to make sure it would work.) :

$Before01.jpg$Before02.jpg

And Here it is after about 10 to 15 minutes of my polishing technique:

$After01.jpg$After02.jpg

Looks GREAT. Maggard is great to deal with. I have bought several seconds or rejects just to get the stainless handle(s). And, with every purchase I am not able to find the reason for the reject or seconds selling? And, the stainless handles are a true bargain!!! Several sizes/styles to choose from too. Great weight, knurling and very grippy! The non stainless shaving heads seem very good also IMHO.

Looks GREAT. Maggard is great to deal with. I have bought several seconds or rejects just to get the stainless handle(s). And, with every purchase I am not able to find the reason for the reject or seconds selling? And, the stainless handles are a true bargain!!! Several sizes/styles to choose from too. Great weight, knurling and very grippy! The non stainless shaving heads seem very good also IMHO.

I agree Wholeheartedly, Brad and Casie are absolutely Awesome to deal with as is the rest of their staff. This is the third Maggard Handle I have purchased and I have both the V2 Open and Closed comb heads. Now my MR8 handle is headless but I am debating weather or not to keep that one. It is a touch on the bulky side for me with having arthritis and all. The MR5 though is abslutely awesome for size and weight. I can't wait to shave with it tonight.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I was on the wait list, too.

It IS a great handle. Weight plus balance = just right.

Best shave I had with it was a Tech head ... the Maggard OC head doesn't cut much on me.

AA

I was on the wait list, too.

It IS a great handle. Weight plus balance = just right.

Best shave I had with it was a Tech head ... the Maggard OC head doesn't cut much on me.

AA

Oh you are not kidding there, I had a half of a double sided 100/250 grit sharpening stone that I found on the side of the road in Norfolk VA so I ground down two used up razor blades and made them into shims for mine and now that sucker matches my Merkur Future on about setting 3 or 4 so it is now quite aggressive. I found using the stone to grind down the blades to make shims is much easier and safer than trying to cut the blade edges off with scissors. Very easy fix for a mild razor when you need aggressive.

Here are a couple photos of the before and after of the OC head:

Before:
$Without Shim.jpg

With Shims:

$With Shim.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I see it.

I'm not sure the whole open comb thing works for me ... can feel those tiny teeth - which may be good; let's you know if you're using pressure. I've got a handful of new razors at this point and will revisit the shim thing eventually.

Complete appreciation for the MR5 handle though; whatever's attached to it makes it an instrument.

Q in general: If the design of an open comb has the teeth covering about half the cutting edge surface, is not half a blade simply unused? i.e., a regular razor's got exposure to 100% of the blade.

AA

I see it.

I'm not sure the whole open comb thing works for me ... can feel those tiny teeth - which may be good; let's you know if you're using pressure. I've got a handful of new razors at this point and will revisit the shim thing eventually.

Complete appreciation for the MR5 handle though; whatever's attached to it makes it an instrument.

Q in general: If the design of an open comb has the teeth covering about half the cutting edge surface, is not half a blade simply unused? i.e., a regular razor's got exposure to 100% of the blade.

AA

I am sure some of the experts will come along with a more thorough answer, but from my limited knowledge it seems that about 99.8% of the blade itself is never used in any of these razors. What I see is that the cutting edge is extremely small and the exposed amount of the cutting edge of blade is what causes the "Aggressiveness" of the razor. In my limited experience though as long as the cutting edge of the blade protrudes past the plane of the cap and teeth/safety bar enough to contact the hair and skin it will shave effectively and that effectiveness increases as more of the blade edge protrudes past that plane to a point. The more of the blade that is protruding the more important the users "Angle of attack" and pressure applied with the razor head becomes. With less blade exposed pressure on the head is less likely to cause cuts, with more exposed it is extremely imperative that no pressure and the proper angle is applied in order to avoid cuts/nicks/irritation, (razor burn).

Hope this is correct, and if not PLEASE someone in the know correct me :001_smile

Sincerely;
Nate

Last edited:
I received my MR5 handle last Monday, paired with an Ikon 102 - just fabulous.

Maggards Razors - great company, exceptional service.

I ordered my Maggard MR5 Handle the other day to pair up with my Maggard Open Comb Head and as is my Nature I had to fiddle a little with the handle. Since the heads are highly polished and the handles are brushed Stainless I decide to put some of my Stainless Steel E Cig Mod restoration knowledge to use and gave my MR5 Handle a nice shiny makeover to match the polished Head.

Here is the Handle Before, (With the Exception of the attaching end, I test polished that part to make sure it would work.) :

View attachment 584155View attachment 584156

And Here it is after about 10 to 15 minutes of my polishing technique:

View attachment 584157View attachment 584158

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm looking to polish a MR5 handle and was wondering: would you be willing to share your technique with us?

I went with the MR18 (and shaved with it this morning). I love the selection they have and the MR18 handle was so long and heavy, it makes my shaving with it a pleasure. Maggard provides such an excellent value.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm looking to polish a MR5 handle and was wondering: would you be willing to share your technique with us?

No apologies needed at all. For this one I used my Dremmel tool with the polishing bit on it and some Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish and it shined up really easy. After that just a light touch with a microfiber cloth to even things out and it looked just like this and still does to this day.:thumbup: Except now it is housing my Shavecraft Tech Head... GREAT COMBO!

No apologies needed at all. For this one I used my Dremmel tool with the polishing bit on it and some Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish and it shined up really easy. After that just a light touch with a microfiber cloth to even things out and it looked just like this and still does to this day.:thumbup: Except now it is housing my Shavecraft Tech Head... GREAT COMBO!

Awesome, many thanks!

Top Bottom