What's new

Freakin MWF

I can't believe I suckered myself into trying MWF again. After days of soaking the puck, so that it swelled almost completely filling the bowl, I gave it a shot.

As always, it lathers like crazy. But it's crap lather. I kept loading and loading until it got creamy, but it didn't last. Here's how it foamed up while I did the first pass.

proxy.php

Pathetic!

I will make a stick out of it and give it another go. If it still doesn't perform, it's going in the trash for good.

I ordered a puck yesterday. Seems one the established and popular soaps and gets so much praise (or not) that I felt I needed to try it. Part challenge to see if I can master it, and part curiosity to see if its as truly good as so many say. I'll find out.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I truly love MWF and just don't have the problems others do. It gives me a great lather. I wish I could give some tips, but it's just always worked for me.

Tabac is still #1 for me but MWF is #2. I do work it into the brush a little longer but get a really good lather and my face feels really nice after using it.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Before you give up and chuck it, try it topped with a little dab of Musgo Real cream for an amazing symbiotic combination. It''s the only superlather I recommend.

Try bottled water? My lather has always been nothing but perfection. Only reason I could see. That or lather like you hate it

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't know if it's the trick, but I add a few drops of glycerin to my bowl with every soap or cream that I lather up in there. Glycerin is quick, cheap, easy, and very nice on the skin.

When I use the Fat, I load it about 50% longer than other soaps I have and as I bowl lather, I slowly add water until I get that nice lather. It is more work, but the post shave alone is worth it.

I gave up on it a while back. Now i tend to laugh when i'm facefathering the yoghurty goodness of barrister and mann. Shaving time is too short to waste with airy foamy lather
john

I have wanted to give it another good go since I got a sample many months ago. But I do not think I could go through the trouble. I get incredible lather from Tabac, Cella, Maggards and so many others.

I only top the puck with warm water while in the shower, I don't soak it. I think for me it was loading more soap than water at first that helped but I know that it's really a trial and error type thing.

I like it a lot and it does well, I'm using MWF and Arko as I feel each day.

If it doesn't work out and the puck is in good condition, I'm sure you could PIF it to someone.

-Stephen

Do you have hard water Vlad?

Maybe try with a slightly less dense brush (looks like you used the Heritage 2XL - I find mine a little less good with MWF)

That sounds and looks just like my lather with MWF until I got a water softener. Do you have hard water? I tried a lot of soaps with hard water, and went back and tried them again after the softener. I think MWF is one that is really affected by hard water, now that I have the water softener MWF is pretty hard to beat.

I believe Mantic59 has a good video and there are others. Once it is dialed in it is a superb performer. For me it is best face lathered.

Do you have hard water Vlad?

Maybe try with a slightly less dense brush (looks like you used the Heritage 2XL - I find mine a little less good with MWF)

That sounds and looks just like my lather with MWF until I got a water softener. Do you have hard water? I tried a lot of soaps with hard water, and went back and tried them again after the softener. I think MWF is one that is really affected by hard water, now that I have the water softener MWF is pretty hard to beat.

I don't think my water is that hard, but I have tried it with distilled water before. Although if I had to do that every time, I would trash it anyway. As to brushes...all my brushes are dense. :thumbup1:

I believe Mantic59 has a good video and there are others. Once it is dialed in it is a superb performer. For me it is best face lathered.

Most of the lather pics I've seen are airy/fluffy. I need wet, dense lather, almost to the point of dripping off the razor.

This soap pissed me off so much, I just ordered a bunch of Valobra. :a13:

Last edited:
Baffling. This was created with a totally dried out puck that has been stored in a drawer since January. No pre-soaking of the puck. No standing on my head, no reciting incantations or magic pixie dust. Just put a wet brush to this totally dried out puck and swirled for about 45 seconds and got a nice, thick, rich. very slick lather. I find the problems people have wit MWF totally baffling. It MUST be the water; that's the only explanation I can come up with.

Attachments

• $IMG_20150703_150011921.jpg
    $IMG_20150703_150011921.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Top Bottom