What's new

Freakin MWF

Baffling.

I can do that no problem, but I'm afraid that's not the lather I want. The lather I like is more of a cream than a foam. It can't sit on top of a brush like that, because it's wait would make it fall over.

I can do that no problem, but I'm afraid that's not the lather I want. The lather I like is more of a cream than a foam. It can't sit on top of a brush like that, because it's wait would make it fall over.

So you're saying you need more water?

Agreed with the above, really the only diffrence can be the water, unfortunatly for you it just dosnt work which is a shame cause it's one of the best soaps out there

A glimpse into Vlad's mind...

$iu-2.jpeg

Freakin' MWF. It's just that good.

Sorry Vlad. I guess you and the sheep are just not meant to be.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's hard to justify $15 for a puck of soap - I can get VDH for $1.88 - but the MWF is worth it to me.

Everyone's mileage varies; +1 to the idea of trying a bottled water. +1 to a dab of Musgo or other, before chucking a $15 puck of soap.

AA

why do the shavers love it so much when seemingly it so much effort and there are other soaps just as good with less hassle?

why do the shavers love it so much when seemingly it so much effort and there are other soaps just as good with less hassle?

This is exactly why I'm trying again. Every soap out there, good and bad, will have all kinds of reviews. But I know people who actually know what they're talking about say such good things about MWF. I also like the history and simplicity of it. Were it not for that, I would not have bothered.

It is a mystery to me. I have never had a problem with this soap. I don't have to spend a long time loading it or beating it. I used it today with no problems. In fact, I have used about 98% of the soap. The only problems I have had with this soap is its spinning around in the bowl and then cracking. I then grated the puck and fit it back in the bowl and it worked better than ever.

I can't believe I suckered myself into trying MWF again. After days of soaking the puck, so that it swelled almost completely filling the bowl, I gave it a shot.

As always, it lathers like crazy. But it's crap lather. I kept loading and loading until it got creamy, but it didn't last. Here's how it foamed up while I did the first pass.

proxy.php

Pathetic!

I will make a stick out of it and give it another go. If it still doesn't perform, it's going in the trash for good.

That's exactly what my lather looked like. Perhaps this post saved me the trouble of revisiting MWF. I've been considering it the past few months. The post-shave is other-worldly.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Wish it would work for me as well, I've tried all the tips - soak the entire puck and the bowl, load upside down with a virgin boar, etc. Crappy airy lather always (Great Lakes water, Ann Arbor may be Huron River sourced). I'm a shave geek but will not purchase water in any form to hand tote so I can get a good lather when there are so many others that work with my tap. Sorry, I'll keep it, every couple weeks in the winter I try it because the lanolin is the only saving grace. When it runs out (if ever, given my disinclination to using it) I'll put some Haslinger Schafmilch in and hope that no MWF fanboy's lift the lid ..:001_rolle

That's the thing...for some (like me) there *is* no hassle. It works pretty much like any other soap. Better if you soak it, but there's no real hassle involved.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
So now there's two people I can make better lather than:
1) Shave_Rat with Mama Bears

and now
2) Vlad with MWF

My superiority complex just doubled!! :thumbup:

Wish it would work for me as well, I've tried all the tips - soak the entire puck and the bowl, load upside down with a virgin boar, etc. Crappy airy lather always (Great Lakes water, Ann Arbor may be Huron River sourced). I'm a shave geek but will not purchase water in any form to hand tote so I can get a good lather when there are so many others that work with my tap. Sorry, I'll keep it, every couple weeks in the winter I try it because the lanolin is the only saving grace. When it runs out (if ever, given my disinclination to using it) I'll put some Haslinger Schafmilch in and hope that no MWF fanboy's lift the lid ..:001_rolle

I'm in Ann Arbor as well. No issues for me at all. I love the fat!

I think I need to post a video. I use the Marco Method (no, not the sloppy proto-lather foam pouring over the side of the puck when loading thing as I've seen in videos) and I get amazingly slick long lasting lather from MWF and I have hard Philly water.

I think people have different lather philosophies. There a people who like the thick yogurt lather (dry brush, lots of product, just enough water to make a cream of etc.). I'm not one of them. My MWF lather are not airy at all, but slick, durable, tiny bubbles, but light. Well hydrated.

Ask your municipal water dept what the average pH is in your service area. I found MWF lathers poorly if the pH is elevated.

Top Bottom