What's new

Sevette Passarounds For Europe And The Americas

Who's in?
Two seperate passarounds for the awesome sevette - a modified SE razor which behaves like a disposable blade Rolls.
Read all about it here:
http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=459766
It might just be the best shave you've ever had (!)
proxy.php

If you want to take part just post in this thread stating which continent you're in and I'll make two lists.
Keep the sevette for a week, give it a write up here amd then post it on to the next person on the list :)

Sevette Passaround Europe:
1) mjclark
2)...

Sevette Passaround America:
1) prairie-dad
2) DaltonGang

Last edited:
I'll be first in the U.S., sure! Looking forward to it.

I've just finished my week in the Mongoose passaround, where the somewhat less common blades were included in the package, and the razor needed insuring, because of its high cost. In this case, however, don't you all think we can dispose of those rules?...the sevette is neither so hard to find a blade for as the Mongoose, nor so valuable (except, perhaps, to Marcus... ;-) )

Any other or contrary opinions?

regards to all

I'll be first in the U.S., sure! Looking forward to it.

I've just finished my week in the Mongoose passaround, where the somewhat less common blades were included in the package, and the razor needed insuring, because of its high cost. In this case, however, don't you all think we can dispose of those rules?...the sevette is neither so hard to find a blade for as the Mongoose, nor so valuable (except, perhaps, to Marcus... ;-) )

Any other or contrary opinions?

regards to all
Congrats on being the first taker! And yeah, no need to insure this beauty :)
PM me your address and we'll get the ball rolling...

Ok, first sevette posted across the Atlantic :)
Can't wait to hear what you guys make of it...

Sevette Passaround Europe:
1) mjclark
2) pjgh
3) ...

proxy.php

Bulldog Face Wash
Dr Selby Luxury Shaving Cream
TGN Synthetic in Amphora Handle
Ever Ready 1912 'SEvette' & GEM Stainless (3)
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Witch Hazel & Selin Toner
YSL Kouros Aftershave & EDT

Face Lathered
Two Pass - WTG & ATG

Well, I survived!

Today, I shaved with a 'SEvette' which is the shavette concept applied to a safety razor, in this case a single edge safety razor: the 1912. The front guard has been removed, just the blade holders left to give full presentation of just the blade - think of this as a disposable Rolls Razor concept.

The shave went very well indeed and despite that somewhat frightening blade exposure, it was not actually that aggressive. Think 1924 kind of aggressive. It is certainly a cut above the regular 1912 shave in terms of efficiency and, when used with a light touch still absolutely safe. No blade chatter to speak of in use. Good, I'd say ... and perhaps something I'd even endorse if you have a spare and tatty 1912 kicking about.

Bravo to Marcus (MJClark) for coming up with this hack! I'd like to have another go with a box fresh blade ...

Middle out first pass (my WTG) corners of mouth up to nostrils on second pass (my ATG in that area).

No drama.

proxy.php

Bulldog Face Wash
Trumper's Eucris Shaving Soap
TGN Synthetic in Amphora
Ever Ready 1912 'Sevette' & GEM Stainless (1)
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal Aftershave
Trumper's Eucris EDT

Face Lathered
Two Pass - WTG & ATG

After my first, and very successful, go with this SEvette I mused at the time how I'd like to try it with a fresh blade. I did ... and it was phenomenal! A true one pass shave, every bit as close in one pass as a three pass shave with a double edge.

I decided to try a second pass against the grain for an extra smooth finish and it certainly achieved it. Just a couple of weepers, which I attribute to the freshness of the blade.

Staggering!

Is this honor really mine? Am I worthy? :)

Well, worthy or not, the lovely, Made in England (twice) Ever-Ready 1912 arrived here on Saturday night, _minus_ its safety bar! Imagine that. It almost made me cry...it's really a very nice razor, far nicer than my (virgo intacta) 1912 E-R...I should have sent you mine, Marcus, to cut a piece off.

I'd already just shaved on Saturday afternoon, having given up on the SEvette's arriving before Monday, so it just had to wait, though it got a good looking at. It's been described, at least as a concept, as being like a Rolls with a disposable blade, but it's a good deal fiercer looking than that, IMO...the fact that it retains its blade stops and their attendant underpinnings makes it look rather like a praying mantis, or something else with biting mandibles!

But, but...it shaves wonderfully well, as I've now tested twice. Yesterday morning, Monday, I had a somewhat hasty, one-pass shave, while this morning I gave it a rigorous and proper test. Hot shower, no pre-shave oil (never when I use a shave stick), Vie-Long shave stick, Cade Plisson synthetic brush (not my usual combo, as I typically use my Semogue 830 when face lathering, but lots of nice lather.) Light, light touch...and oh, what a beautiful sound! I had a nice growth, since I'd shaved pretty cursorily yesterday, and to hear those whiskers going down was just great....

As you'd expect, this is a very efficient machine indeed. If I were working, I could do a single-pass each morning, Monday-Friday, and never worry about how I'd look at 5 p.m. Maybe it wouldn't pass the BBS test on one pass, but it would be quick and easy and effective. To get that baby-smooth effect, an ATG/XTG pass is still needed...I got it today, pleasant enough, and bloodless, too. The only way to know that it was close, close, was to use the alum stick as a test...something I don't usually touch, but great way to know what else has been removed, besides the whiskers! And yes, I felt it burn some...not disagreeably, but distinctly...that wouldn't be the case if I'd used a milder razor...say, any post-WWII SE, I think, even with two passes. Of course, this is a shave that will last...

Over all, this was great fun, and I will keep at it through the week. It's instructive, having just had the Mongoose for five shaves, and having raved about it so. This is much different. It's not effortless, the way the Goose was. You have to think a lot harder about what you're doing...you don't want to lack for concentration when placing the razor down on your face, especially under your chin. Not that anything bad happened, not at all, it's just that with the Goose I never had the sense that anything bad _could_ happen, whereas here, at least at first (?) you'll want to have all your shaving wits about you! The payoff is very high.

Many, many thanks to Marcus for his adventurous ways, and hats off to all those brave enough to give this a whirl...please sign up, it's definitely worth it.

regards to all,

the prairie dad

So glad you're enjoying the sevette guys!
It truly is an amazing shave and the world should know.
What blades are you using?
A GEM Stainless worked great for me which was a surprise since normally I find them unpleasantly harsh, and I am going to try a Blue Star next.
Compared to the devette, the stiff SE blade makes all the difference here.
Like you say, good technique brings quite incredible rewards with the sevette.

Is anyone else going to sign up for the sevette passaround?

Now the North American counterpart is out there and on the loose ... guys, please post up your SOTD pictures and impressions here. Great to read yours, Prairie Dad. You've written out some good detail that and a well empassioned piece :D

I really like this hack. Well played, Marcus. I see this genuinely as an improvement to the 1912, granting a more aggressive shave without compromising safety. Yes, I could cut myself, but I would actually have to be trying quite hard and have to deviate quite a way from my usual technique to do so. Stick with your usual routine and you'll get a safe shave with a lot more efficiency.

I endorse this!

I would like to get in on this crazy razor display, although it looks terrifying ha.
I'm in the UK too but Im away on holiday from the 20th till the 28th.

I would like to get in on this crazy razor display, although it looks terrifying ha.
I'm in the UK too but Im away on holiday from the 20th till the 28th.
Brilliant! You're next on the Europe list then - just PM Paul to co-ordinate posting...
...Magic!

So Europe list:
1) mjclark
2) pjgh
3) wazza
4)...

Last edited:
Okay, mate ... leave it with me for a little more fun 'til the beginning of August. I'll post it on to you once you're back.

More good news this Wednesday morning. Following the same protocol I just used with the Goose, I did a one-pass only, _against_ the grain shave today. Smooth as silk again, though yesterday's proviso still applies... great care should be exercised, especially on your neck. This was with a stainless steel Gem, to answer Marcus' question, now I'll give a Blue Star a try, too... probably Friday.

Best to all

Top Bottom