What's new

Tabac shaving cream - bummed I'm coming down on the dislike side

So, I see all the SOD stuff online and the reviews singing the praises of the various Tabac shaving products and decide to see if it is for me. I ordered just the shaving cream (rather than the ceramic bowl with the shaving soap puck and/or the aftershave) and decided I would drop 14 bucks on that before investing any more $$$ in the product line.
Got out the Fine lathering bowl and my synthetic brush and went with a generous dollop of cream to see what happened.

I was underwhelmed :001_unsur

The lather was kind of thin although it was enough to make it through 2 and a half passes. The smell, which I know is polarizing, didn't smell of Barbershop and/or Tobacco to me but industrial hand-soap.

Trying to figure out if I want to PIF with the rest of the tube or if I'll just bite the bullet and use the rest of it up.

Maybe it will grow on me?

Anyone else out there use the tube cream version of Tabac and if so, what were your impressions?

Last edited:
The shaving cream is not bad but not nearly as good as the shaving soap, the 2 combined to make a super lather work amazingly well together

Like the others I lean toward soaps but I have both. I've used the soap a few more times, and it's been a while since I did the cream, but as I recall it is pretty good but it lies somewhere in the middle between my favorites and least favorites.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The soap is top rate but I have not tried the cream. I find myself using soaps 95% of the time.

+1, I am not a 95% Tabac user but do use the soap on a regular basis. I haven't tried the cream but the soap is premium.

That is sad news. I have been waiting for colder weather to get the Tabac soap or cream. Think I will stick with the soap. The sample I had was amazing. Although I hear Ozark Mountains calling my name. Mmmmmm

The soap is where it's at. Don't judge the Tabac line on the cream. Tabac soap is one of those "moments" in shavedom where you meet performance perfection (provided the scent doesn't repulse you). I don't care how many artisan soaps pop up each week or month that people claim to be the best thing ever. Tabac is a benchmark.

The shaving cream is not bad but not nearly as good as the shaving soap, the 2 combined to make a super lather work amazingly well together

As written here - i have not tried the Tabac cream, i own the soap and get amazing results. Thick, slick luscious lather time and time again. I have often hear the 'cream versions' of soaps are lesser performers than their soap counterparts. I have never done a side by side comparison to know though.

I would try the soap. Just my 2 cents. :)

Have not tried the cream but their soap is #1 for me. Great, slick lather that is super easy to make and I really like the smell.

True it was my first shot with any Tabac product. I will work on the water ratio and see if that helps

Sound familiar? Think the soap is among the very best and haven't tried the cream. :laugh:

If the cream is like the soap, it will take a boatload of water and benefit from it. Might not be, though!

It's a pity that you bought the cream first.
Based on several reviews, the cream is probably the least regarded of the Tabac products and I feel no need to try it.

By comparison, Tabac shaving soap and shaving stick perform very well and I use them both on a regular basis.

B

Last edited:
Top Bottom