What's new

Gillette Old type as daily driver?

Nothing wrong with going aggressive for a daily shaver - I use an R41.

Each face is different, however, so be sure to listen to your face :)

My Old-Type doesn't have a date/code on it and it's got a Ball end.

At first, I didn't think it was cutting close at all. But now, I just turn off the tap for silence and 'listen' to the DE cutting. I think I had the blade angle wrong cuz I was used to my other razor

Could it be that shaving early and thus not having as much growth as usual contributed to a harsh shave?

Certainly possible but I had the same scenario a week ago with the New and the results were dramatically different. The Old chewed up my neck today unlike I've experienced in quite some time. I revere the Old for its historical significance but otherwise prefer its New brethren! lol

I have my Great-Uncle's Old Type (he passed away in the 30's!). It's in my rotation, not a daily driver, but it could easily be.

$Before.jpg

Everyone says the ball-handled Old Type isn't that good with modern DE blades. But for me, it's not too bad once you get the blade angle right.

I'm starting to like the Old Type better than the Parker TTO I first got a long time ago

Hi,

Put the modern thin blade cutting edge back to where it would be with an original thick blade by using a shim under the modern. ;)

Stan

Hi,

I wound up with my OT when I had been shaving only three years, when my Grandfather passed away. It is a silver plated 3pc Thin Cap with serial number which dates it to 1921.

Back then, it was a rip my face off unusable razor. As the years passed, I kept revisiting it as my main daily driver razors changed. I eventually figured out I could use it for touching up the rough spots after about 10 years of shaving. Now, after 39 years of shaving I can use it for a two-pass (WTG, ATG) DFS every day. This being a case of my skills being honed (pun intended) more than anything, I think.

Mostly, though, I opt for that two pass (WTG, ATG) DFS using a Fasan Double Slant. I reserve the OT for a third pass ATG, after using the Fasan WTG and XTG (note the pass change up for the Fasan when I opt for a 3 pass shave). This is how I go for BBS. But, not every day, as it takes more time. BBS only gains me 2 additional hours to The Shadow over DFS. So, I save the BBS for those days when I know I need those extra couple of hours.

Some days I shave a second time in the late afternoon / early evening. I use the OT for one WTG pass for this situation.

But, even after 39 years of shaving, two passes with the OT is still a little irritating. The Double Slant does not do that. So, this is why I reserve the OT for one pass. One pass is not irritating.

Oh, and the only razor I find shaves closer than Grandpa's OT is my other Grandfather's straight razor. ;)

Stan

This - bro.

The Old type is amazing but I would not suggest it as a daily driver at your (or my) stage (going by # of posts - don't mean to imply you're not an expert shaver). Try a Merkur 34HD, vintage Gillette tech, or Feather popular TTO.. But for sure don't give it away - when you've mastered these other razors the OT will lead you into the promised land..
Cheers,
TT

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't have a daily driver, but this baby gets the call more often than any other razor in my den:

$Old Type.jpg

That's a '20s Old Type head (replated with black rhodium by RazorPlate) on a Charcoal Goods hammered copper handle. We get along very well.

Hi,

Love that handle! Looks like the razor was found on the wreck of the Titanic! :)

I am revisiting my Thin Cap OT this week. Going to use it 2 pass WTG and ATG instead of the Fasan. I cannot remember the last time I tried it daily, so it is time to do so again. My reasoning is that as I age, this one will eventually wind up being usable on a daily basis. Heck, my Grandfather used it daily. :)

Stan

I don't find my 1927/28 no serial# ball-end Old to be nearly as rough as you guys are saying. I just feed it personna blades without shimming. It takes a shallower blade angle than you're used to.

But you've got to remember this was the first DE people learned with, it's not mean and scary it just doesn't have training wheels. Relearn your angles and they're nice. If you've got to mow own some real growth they're awesome since they don't clog

I don't find my 1927/28 no serial# ball-end Old to be nearly as rough as you guys are saying. I just feed it personna blades without shimming. It takes a shallower blade angle than you're used to.

But you've got to remember this was the first DE people learned with, it's not mean and scary it just doesn't have training wheels. Relearn your angles and they're nice. If you've got to mow own some real growth they're awesome since they don't clog

Hi,

The Thick Cap OT I had wasn't as face-scraping as my Grandfathers Thin Cap is. But, using one shim under -a trick I learned here- helps it a lot. :)

Also keep in mind that my first experience with it was at age 18, and my face looked like I had tried to shave using a cheese grater. I do not recommend jumping from a Tech to an OT.... ;)

Stan

I don't have a daily driver, but this baby gets the call more often than any other razor in my den:

View attachment 597866

That's a '20s Old Type head (replated with black rhodium by RazorPlate) on a Charcoal Goods hammered copper handle. We get along very well.
That is one beautiful razor and the
Handle has the appearance of a very
Expensive sculpture, yes the head and
Handle together represent a work of
Art. Functional as it is and capable to
Boot, what you have in that razor is
The best of both worlds.

Top Bottom