What's new

What is your favorite TOBS cream?

So, I'm thinking about trying out some of the TOBS line, because, well, why not? LOL

However, I'm curious as to what most people think of the scents they offer. I've heard that the TOBS Sandalwood smelled like an old man's sandals, the lemon & lime smelled like flat Sprite soda, and the lavender was overpowering...

I've only really had experience with Col Conk's Bay Rum (great smell!), Amber (Not bad, but not one of my favorites), Lime (smells good, but it's sticky, so the wife has claimed it), Almond (smells a little medicine-y to me, not much like a roasted almond), and the AOS Sandalwood, which smells great and always puts in my head Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross.

I'm thinking about trying the TOBS Sandalwood, but I'm interested in the other scents - if someone has a favorite that they can recommend, I might be willing to try it, provided the costs aren't too exorbitant...Also, I don't want it to go bad before I can use it all, so I'm limiting it to one 5.3 oz bowl or less at a time.

My two favorite are the Sandalwood and Mr. Taylor's. Mr. Taylor's is a very classic clean barbershop type scent. Really, Really love it. The sandalwood is a very classic scent also but some feel that it is overpowering. It is more on the perfume side than it is the essential oil side so it just depends on what you like.

If I may suggest, walk on over to Maggard Razors on the internet (see link below). You can buy samples of all the TOBS scents for about $12 or $15 dollars total. Each little sample will get you about 5 shaves. Good luck in your journey.

http://www.maggardrazors.com/

I tried a few samples, and a couple of full tubs. TOBS Lavender is just about the nastiest cream I've come across. Gentlemen: the stink (too nasty to call a scent) bears absolutely no resemblance to… lavender. The Rose is awful as well.

However, I love their Grapefruit. Great performance and an intriguing aroma, like grilled grapefruit, if you can imagine such a thing.

After using and going through a tub of TOBS Sandalwood, I got a sample pack with all the TOBS creams...

I went through 75% of the samples already. My favorite does remain Sandalwood so far. For some reason, they all had somewhat different consistencies. My favorite "creamier" one was the avocado, but I can't get past the smell of it. For some reason, it reminds me of this strange flowery, "funeral home" scent... Weird.

The Natural scent probably gave me the best shave. However, it's tough to really assess with a small sample and a couple of shaves... I could have been having a great skin week!

My least favorite scents were Mr. Taylor's (kinda smells like puke to me?), coconut and almond.

I think I'll be getting myself another tub of Sandalwood... My overall preferred TOBS shaving cream.

It all depends on what you're looking for in the scent department.

I love their Grapefruit. Very distinct scent but not overpowering. For a classic scent both Jermyn street and St. James are wonderful. One of their most upfront scents is Eton College. For flat out performance St. James and Avocado are tops.

Good luck. You have a lot of choices!!

Grapefruit, Eton College. Liked most all I tried except Lime, to me it had a "chemical" smell, haven't tried Avocado. Performance wise, all very good IMHO.

Sandalwood is the only TOBS cream I have tried so far. I think it is a fantastic scent, not overpowering imo. I actually would like the scent to be a little stronger. Great lather and nice slick shave. The smell reminds me of an old barber shop my father took me to as a kid.

It would be a tough call between Mr. Taylor and Jermyn St. Both are excellent performers and both are fantastic scents.
It's difficult to go wrong with TOBS. I would follow advice in previous responses and head over to Maggards and buy samples. That's what I did when considering TOBS creams.

Eaton College is my favorite scent. For performance, it would be Mr. Taylor. All of the TOBS creams that I've tried have been easy to lather up and give a good cushion with a slick base.

Just goes to show, very much a YMMV thing. I've had tubs of 5 or 6 scents and sampled a bunch of others, and my favorite is their Lavender. Subtle with an herbal undertone is how I would describe it. We keep lavender essential oil in the house and the scents are very, very similar. It is also the best feeling on my face - aside from the Organic/Natural ones, I believe it is the only one that doesn't list parfum as an ingredient. From what I can tell, lavandula angustifolia (English Lavender) is the only scenting agent.

My two favorite are the Sandalwood and Mr. Taylor's. Mr. Taylor's is a very classic clean barbershop type scent. Really, Really love it. The sandalwood is a very classic scent also but some feel that it is overpowering. It is more on the perfume side than it is the essential oil side so it just depends on what you like.

If I may suggest, walk on over to Maggard Razors on the internet (see link below). You can buy samples of all the TOBS scents for about $12 or $15 dollars total. Each little sample will get you about 5 shaves. Good luck in your journey.

http://www.maggardrazors.com/

Thanks! I didn't know that there were shops that sold samples of it! Looks like I'll be buying a couple of samples of the creams to try them out, rather than spending $15 on a tub to find out it smells nasty to me. :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The TOBS Sandalwood saved my shave this morning ... the Herban Cowboy did lather, with some added glycerin, but for the second time the lather just dissipated.

Whipped brush into the TOBS and it was day and night: immediate great shave; slick, lathery and the way it should be. Of course it is the best scent out there, too.

Threw the Herban puck into the shower. 2x fail.

AA

Top Bottom