What's new

My first try at a restore.

My buddy dropped this brush off to me, he had found it at a yard sale.
A little ratty but perfect handle.
$DSC_0165-Ron-PC.jpg
I removed the knot and built a shelf in the hollow handle. I covered the shelf with a layer of epoxy to bring the depth to 16mm.
I did this because after talking with Larry at Whipped Dog, he thought it would leave the knot at abut the height to give the feel I was looking for. I like soft with some backbone.
$DSC_0167.png
Here is my new 24mm Whipped Dog High Mountain White knot mounted in my Rubberset 200 Handle.
$DSC_0170.jpg
Another shot after a couple of shaves.
I love the feel of the knot. I have mostly boar brushes and 1 Frank Shave Slivertip that feels a lot like you are using a fine wire brush on your face.
The WD knot was rather dirty. The first couple of rinses the water turned really black. I shampooed it a couple of times which got the black out but left in the wet animal smell.
I then used the oxyclean and followed the instructions that came with the knot and then lathered up some Arko as a test. I allowed the brush to dry over night. When I used it the next day the smell was gone and it felt like I was lathering with marabou feathers. I really like this brush. It mat sound like the knot took a lot of prep but it really only took about 15 minutes.
The restore was easier than I had planned for and would easily consider doing this again if I find that really nice Red and Black Everready handle I can see in my mind.

Nice work Bob! Next time you might want to try a knot from TGN. I've used several and have a couple more in process and have never had an issue with smell or dirt. They come clean and tidy. Nice selection too. The owner, Tony, is good to work with. He helped me with good info when I was just starting out.

Top Bottom