What's new

Which blade do you use in your Merkur 34C?

I know YMMV, but I am curious with the popularity of the Merkur 34C if a trend develops of several people saying they use a certain blade. I am working my way through a sampler and I purchased several blades at tryablade.com to try some different blades. I have used Feather, Astra SP and Derby. Of these 3 I like the Astra's.

My best so far in the HD is a Gillette Nacet. My usual is Astra SP, due to the lower cost and good results. I just tried Feather for the first time a week ago or so, and it shows promise. Not sure when I'll give that combo its second try. But, IME, the 34c and Nacet is a great combo.

My best so far in the HD is a Gillette Nacet. My usual is Astra SP, due to the lower cost and good results. I just tried Feather for the first time a week ago or so, and it shows promise. Not sure when I'll give that combo its second try. But, IME, the 34c and Nacet is a great combo.

Update: I just gave my Merkur 34c (HD) and Feather blade combo a second run. It's right up there with Gillette Nacet, but just a tiny bit less effective. The difference might have been technique, though; it's too soon to say.

Most people say Feather blades don't last very long. I kept the blade in to see how shave #3 turns out. I usually get three good shaves before noticing a decline, but Nacet easily gives me four. I'm hoping Feather doesn't poop out on me after two, the way many folks on here say they tend to do.

I've switched to the 37C, but in my 37C, Treet Durasharps gave me the best shave ever, Black Beauties were also very good. Russian blades were all pretty good too.

My usual is Astra SP, but recently I ordered a few samples to try and I have so far tried Nacet and it has given me more shaves than Astra SP and seems smoother.

I've switched to the 37C, but in my 37C, Treet Durasharps gave me the best shave ever, Black Beauties were also very good. Russian blades were all pretty good too.

I forgot about Treet DuraSharp. Yes, it matches well with the HD. Alas! I only have one blade left of that particular marque.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I love my 34c. I use all kind of blades in it, and it doesn't disappoint. It can work with almost any blade.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I found that a Feather blade in the Merkur 34c is match made in heaven. Very smooth and close.

This; today and true.

YMMV but the Merkur it came with really turned me off on that brand of blades. Rash City.

This particular razor really reflects what's in it, it seems.

AA

I agree with that last statement. I have one razor that gives a good shave with whatever blade you put in (Cadet open comb), but I have to choose more wisely with the HD. I recall that Dorco ST-301 blades did decently.

A 34G is the only DE I use. Favorite blades in it are Astra SP, Red Personna and Merkur. I've tried other blades in it and didn't care for them.

Lol... I'm the only one that likes person named blue in mine?
Also Astra ST and a few others.... but no mention of labs?

Used many blades in it. The ones that works the best for me are Feather, Gillette 7 O'clock yellow and Merkur blades.

Congratulations on your new Merkur 34c.

My experience matches those who say that any blade works well in this great razor. Many folks don't care for the Derby blades, but when you put it into Merkur's heavy weight razor - it's a whole different story.

Top Bottom