What's new

Let's shoot a 458 Winchester Mag

My dad had a 458 Winchester Mag. He said that he never shot it at full load. He hand loaded his own cartridges for it. He sold the gun before I ever had a chance to shot it. That is one of the guns that I want to shoot someday.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
FFFTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHH.

You call that little BB gun a rifle?

Man up and fire some REAL weapons. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'll bet the guy that shot the 20mm cannon made the comment, right before the video started, of:

"Here, hold my beer and watch this."

The video shown by the OP is one of several showing incompetent friends of a prominent UAE businessman who owns and operates a wellknown shooting forum.
I stopped going there because it was becoming overtly anti American and anti Israeli and started attracting members I was not prepared to associate with.

Last edited:
Ohh and back to the original topic.

Many decades ago when I was dreaming of perhaps doing an African hunt, I owned a 458 Win and practiced a lot with full loads. In fact my reloads exceeded factory ballistics quite significantly (but perfectly safely). Recoil wasn't especially fierce but like so many things, plans change and the rifle moved on.
I still own a nice Ruger No 1 in 45-70 and I think that is much more uncomfortable to shoot with full loads than my 458 CZ was.

I have 2 Montanna Arms Sharps in 45-70 that are shot regularly w/factory and hotter factory loads. They can be a bit trying on the shoulder off the bench. I also shoot my Winchester model 70, synthetic stock, in 375 H&H mag, not much of a task except for price per round. BUT in the very near future will bring home a custom Remington model 39 in 458 Lott, I've been waiting 2 yrs on, and am a bit leary as a 62yr old shoulder may not like it so much(nor the billfold) Have acquired approx. 300 rnds of custom ammo (Precision) from an estate @$1.00 a rnd so that might ease the pain some!

I have 2 Montanna Arms Sharps in 45-70 that are shot regularly w/factory and hotter factory loads. They can be a bit trying on the shoulder off the bench. I also shoot my Winchester model 70, synthetic stock, in 375 H&H mag, not much of a task except for price per round. BUT in the very near future will bring home a custom Remington model 39 in 458 Lott, I've been waiting 2 yrs on, and am a bit leary as a 62yr old shoulder may not like it so much(nor the billfold) Have acquired approx. 300 rnds of custom ammo (Precision) from an estate @$1.00 a rnd so that might ease the pain some!

Stand up and "roll at the hips." Like when you shoot a heavy recoiling pistol, you let your elbow flex. You're not going to keep it from moving, so control the direction of the movement instead.

P.S. is the 39 any relation to the 30?

Last edited:
Stand up and "roll at the hips." Like when you shoot a heavy recoiling pistol, you let your elbow flex. You're not going to keep it from moving, so control the direction of the movement instead.

P.S. is the 39 any relation to the 30?

Actually text should have been 30 Express. It was originally chambered for 30-06. Its been so long... I believe there may have been an S designation. I think the original gun was mfg'd late 20's according to sn#.

I was going to say I thought that was the T-Rex cartridge. That stuff is just not fun. Heaviest recoil I've experienced was a 12 gauge with a 3.5" Federal Powershok magnum slug...in a pump. It actually racked the pump when fired. I've shot a 30-30 out of a bolt gun. That wasn't pleasant. Also shot a 45-70 out of a lever gun. That was way more mild than I expected.

Tomorrow I'll be goose hunting with 3.5" 12 gauge. Also looking for a 10 gauge pump to pass shoot late season birds.

I saw that several years ago and it was identified as the T-Rex. I have a Ruger #1 in .458 Win Mag and it's not too bad. It is best to shoot a gun like this standing up, vs sitting at a bench. That way your upper body can move easier and absorb some of the recoil over a longer period of time, making it feel much softer.

I have a couple of Marlin 1895 rifles in 45-70 that actually kick much harder than my .45. They are much lighter in weight and the buttplates are narrower, both of which increase the effect of recoil. One of my softer shooting rifles is a CZ Safari American in .375 H&H. It is rather heavy, fits me perfectly , and has a large wide buttplate. Some lightweight 30-06 rifles kick harder My RUger #1 in the same .375 H&H caliver, using the same loads will literally kick the snot out of you, It's all in the gun.

My old man had a 458. He is 5'9" and 275 lbs of solid lumberjack. It knocked him on his ***. the exit wound on a 20" poplar tree was nothing short of a black hole. At $20 a round (in Canada), it got old real quick.

Top Bottom