What's new

Post #657 Combe Email Confirming Williams Mug Shave Soap Discontinued

I like it because it's good and cheap. It is nice to use to try out new lathering techniques or playing around with a new brush. One time I threw a somewhat new puck in a sink tub of water for about twenty minutes or more. When I pulled it out, the water seemed to ate up over half the puck. I learned not to do that again and the lesson only cost about .50. If it was a real expensive soap I would have been mad!

One time I threw a somewhat new puck in a sink tub of water for about twenty minutes or more. When I pulled it out, the water seemed to ate up over half the puck.

I don't believe it. I regularly soak pucks for 24 hours. After they are broken in for a few shaves they get a 30 minute soak prior to every use. I can never tell that anything is gone, except that the water gets slightly milky. No appreciable loss. Something must have been odd about your puck.

I see that williams when dipped in hot water does give off a lot of soap. The water is full of it along with soap suds. That is why I prefer to dip it in hot water for a minute or so rather than dip it through the shower.

I don't believe it. I regularly soak pucks for 24 hours. After they are broken in for a few shaves they get a 30 minute soak prior to every use. I can never tell that anything is gone, except that the water gets slightly milky. No appreciable loss. Something must have been odd about your puck.

+1
I always soak a new puck overnight, and just prior to each shave....it is a thirsty soap.

I suspect it can differ if you put it in a whole lot of water in a wide container vs. a mug/bowl with the water only a little bit higher than the puck.

maybe, that is just would have been the most reasonable explanation of what ate up the puck. I'm not sure what else could have done it. It may have been longer than 20 minutes, but not more than 40 at the very most. It may have been possible that the puck was past expiration and deteriates faster, or just a bad puck of soap that slipped through the cracks.

I'm looking at twenty boxes right now.
Should I buy them?

Attachments

• $1439147044378343031651.jpg
    $1439147044378343031651.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 183
I've never used Williams, is it even worth the money?

It's a $1-2 puck of soap. I've not found anything besides arko that is as good for the same money, honestly. It does take some skill but a boar brush and soaking the brush/puck while you shower and shaking the brush out and building the lather on the puck (it is a MUG soap!), and you can get a pretty good lather and a good shave. It becomes rather slick once you get it figured out! But no, its not going to blow up into lather like Arko, which is approx the same price. I prefer the scent of Williams over Arko though, and I really don't like shave sticks unless I'm travelling (and then its Speick!)

Well if i owned williams i would have joint the lea marketing method.Lea listened to their customers,and improved their shaving stick.Now williams should improve their soap,otherwise keeping it won't bring them back the profits it can bring!
So Williams change your formula and before bringing the formula to the public send some tester to some famous wet shavers.This doesn't mean the soap is a garbage,but it could be better for sure.
This is just my opinion and nothing more!!!

Well if i owned williams i would have joint the lea marketing method.Lea listened to their customers,and improved their shaving stick.Now williams should improve their soap,otherwise keeping it won't bring them back the profits it can bring!
So Williams change your formula and before bringing the formula to the public send some tester to some famous wet shavers.This doesn't mean the soap is a garbage,but it could be better for sure.
This is just my opinion and nothing more!!!

Email those sentiments to Combe, Inc!

I did, and maybe if enough people do, they will actually listen.

Can anyone in northern Colorado (Boulder/Longmont area) find this locally? I've been looking all over and can't locate any.
Thanks!

Just check all the grocery stores in your area. Most of the grocery stores around me carry it. I went to all of them to see who had it the cheapest. Don't bother with Walmart, CVS, or Walgreens, but any other small pharmacy or drug store has a good chance of carrying it too.

Or, just call Combe, Inc and ask them who carries it in your area! 1-800-431-2610

Last edited:
The grocery stores around here don't have it. :(
King Soopers, Safeway, Albertsons, Lucky's Market...
I have not spotted any small drug stores, but that may be my only chance.
This is why I have asked specifically for people in Colorado.
It's quite odd that one of the things people say about this soap is it's available locally. Maybe it's not meant to be. LOL
I have a few nice soaps, so it's not urgent, but would like to pick up a puck to try if I can find it.
Thanks for the ideas...

Top Bottom