What's new

Post #657 Combe Email Confirming Williams Mug Shave Soap Discontinued

TopGumby wins the internet!

Seriously, wouldn't it be funny if William's was discontinued only to return in essentially the same form but 10 times the price? I mean, Combe can't just raise the price simply because of the latest uptick in the traditional shaving market, can they? So they "discontinue" the line, sit it out for a bit, then reintroduce it in a new wrapper and label - viola! $18.00 a puck!

"Based on a timeless, classic formulation..."
"Heritage..."
"Tradition..."

Next thing you know they can't make enough of it, and everybody's posting how "it kinda smells like that William's stuff from a few years ago, but it's soooo much better." Big raises and bonuses all around at Combe!

-Kesto

Would not be the first time someone used the "high price signals quality" thing.
TopGumby wins the internet!

Seriously, wouldn't it be funny if William's was discontinued only to return in essentially the same form but 10 times the price? I mean, Combe can't just raise the price simply because of the latest uptick in the traditional shaving market, can they? So they "discontinue" the line, sit it out for a bit, then reintroduce it in a new wrapper and label - viola! $18.00 a puck!

"Based on a timeless, classic formulation..."
"Heritage..."
"Tradition..."

Next thing you know they can't make enough of it, and everybody's posting how "it kinda smells like that William's stuff from a few years ago, but it's soooo much better." Big raises and bonuses all around at Combe!

-Kesto

It may be a bit of a lengthy read, but I'll agree with cheap and quality not going together. The world has become too expensive for that to work.

I had to delete it. Seriously rant-y and way too offensive. I got my panties in a bunch there. i'll keep my mouth shut on this one.

Alright, Arko. Cheap can be good I guess. But I won't put it in 'Quality' soaps, just very good. As for whatever the system decides to do with my money over there, who cares! I'll buy what works, from where ever, who ever and when ever.

You want an affordable soap, made in the USA with a classic almond scent? I present to you fine gentlemen...Marvy Deluxe Shaving Soap.

proxy.php
Deluxe Shaving SoapRich, long lasting lather gives shavers the cleanest possible shave. Almond flavor. 12 individually wrapped bars per tube. Fits all size shaving mugs.

Ugh...I keep tryin'.... but no luv for Marvy. :bored:
I've never seen or read a good review of Marvy. You mean to say it works for you? Provides a stable, thick lather?

I'd love to use Marvy, but I have a roll of vintage Colgate Barber Soap from the 1940s that is pretty much the perfect "mug" soap. Except the scent is long gone.

Not everybody has to love Williams. Heck, the animosity that breeds forum verbosity is part of the very fabric of the Williams experience.

This discontinuation might be a good thing for existing pucks. I hefted one, and it had new weight and dignity, a genuine classic from a bygone era.

Even if that era was like, er, last week.

Not everybody has to love Williams. Heck, the animosity that breeds forum verbosity is part of the very fabric of the Williams experience.

This discontinuation might be a good thing for existing pucks. I hefted one, and it had new weight and dignity, a genuine classic from a bygone era.

Even if that era was like, er, last week.

:lol:

I didn't even like Williams when the threat of discontinuation wasn't there. Now I'm thinking I need to try and trade for some just to have a piece of shaving history in my den to pass down to my future son. Curse this restraint...

Top Bottom