What's new

How do you know if a razor is made out of pot metal? Does it matter?

I also prefer vintage for the knowledge that the razor I'm using was made "back in the day", and get perfectly fine results.

However in the final analysis if I found a cast zinc (aka pot metal) razor that gave me good, clean results I would not let that deter me from using it regularly. It's results that matter :)

Your best bet is to go stainless steel, for a modern razor. But, they are pricey.
I prefer vintage razors anyway. When I first started DE shaving, I used a 23C. I found a Slim Adjustable and Fat Boy Gillette offered more pleasurable shaves, hands down.

+1. To make a LONG story short. This is precisely why I waited 3 months for James to make my Wolfman SB. Not expensive at all when you consider that this may be my last razor (at least that is how i explained this to LOTH)!

Your best bet is to go stainless steel, for a modern razor. But, they are pricey.
I prefer vintage razors anyway. When I first started DE shaving, I used a 23C. I found a Slim Adjustable and Fat Boy Gillette offered more pleasurable shaves, hands down.
+2. Vintage is the way to go.

I like the convenience of purchasing new razors, so I went with a Joris/Plisson 24k gold plated open comb off Fendrihan. I really respect these companies that make classic wet shaving products in an era where they would make far more money fazing them out for canned shaving goops and cartridge razors. This is my way of supporting this passion we hold so dear. I'd love to get one of the various Gillette adjustables as well, but I don't enjoy eBay bidding wars. I hear ya about vintage being the way to go. It's the inconvenience of hunting these guys down that stops me (I'll admit, I am lazy). Thanks again, everyone.

EDIT: Also, this is not to criticize all canned goops. I like Barbasol Soothing Aloe, for example. But there's no doubt that my quality of shaves has gone up since using a shaving brush and shave soaps/lathering creams.

Last edited:
All the moderns are pot metal except for the pricey stainless ones. Just go vintage and you will not be disappointed.

Nothing wrong with cast zinc (pot metal) razors since zinc is just one of the metals that is easy to work and cheaper to produce than any other metal that could be used in razor production. Now if you insist on all steel ,or all brass, be ready to empty your bank account just because you want (not need) a razor better than the simple job of shaving you.

I had a Merkur Slant, the plating was coming off the handle, it looked like a piece of chalk. I will never buy Merkur again.

I've posted this before, WWII era binnacle, sunken in salt water for the last 70 years. The steel ship around it has rusted away. There is no better material for a razor than brass. Except, maybe for stainless steel - as far as I know, no one has built a stainless steel ship.

$brass_rulez.jpg

(looks kinda like the handle of a Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf)

Last edited:
...I'd love to get one of the various Gillette adjustables as well, but I don't enjoy eBay bidding wars. I hear ya about vintage being the way to go. It's the inconvenience of hunting these guys down that stops me (I'll admit, I am lazy). Thanks again, everyone...
Gixen.com
Put the highest price you are willing to pay in the box and forget about it. Bidding wars will be a thing of the past. You'll save money too.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have nothing against zamak razors, really. I have a Merkur 34c, 37c, Progress (modified handle), and Futur. They are good razors and will last quite some time with good care. I don't know that they'll last the rest of my life, but I don't get too worked up about that. That's not why I have them.

I also have a whole bunch of vintage razors (including a vintage Merkur 37c) that are made of other metals. Unless I treat them with utter disrespect, they'll outlast me and then some. Not only are they well made, but there's a story behind them. I don't know many of those stories, but we're working on it!

Finally, I have a couple of modern, non-zamak razors that I very much enjoy and that should outlast me if I so desired. Both (Wolfman SS OC and an aluminum Razorock Baby Smooth) are great to shave with, and I wouldn't give either up.

If you truly want something that absolutely will outlast you, even with neglect and some unfortunate drops), reach deep into your pocket and get something in stainless steel. If you want something that very likely will perform the same but has more of a story behind it, look for vintage.

I have nothing against zamak razors, really. I have a Merkur 34c, 37c, Progress (modified handle), and Futur. They are good razors and will last quite some time with good care. I don't know that they'll last the rest of my life, but I don't get too worked up about that. That's not why I have them.

I also have a whole bunch of vintage razors (including a vintage Merkur 37c) that are made of other metals. Unless I treat them with utter disrespect, they'll outlast me and then some. Not only are they well made, but there's a story behind them. I don't know many of those stories, but we're working on it!

Finally, I have a couple of modern, non-zamak razors that I very much enjoy and that should outlast me if I so desired. Both (Wolfman SS OC and an aluminum Razorock Baby Smooth) are great to shave with, and I wouldn't give either up.

If you truly want something that absolutely will outlast you, even with neglect and some unfortunate drops), reach deep into your pocket and get something in stainless steel. If you want something that very likely will perform the same but has more of a story behind it, look for vintage.

^^^ what he said. Brass or stainless is the way to go in my opinion.

I started wetshaving with a Merkur 38C and shortly thereafter purchased a 34C. I was very careful with both razors; they were never dropped, abused, etc. About a year later the plating began to flake off the head of my 38C, and I promptly got rid of both razors. Based on my personal experience I will never own another pot metal razor again. However, some guys own them for years without any trouble, so of course YMMV.

+1, and very well said.

I'm a bit clumsy, and I've dropped my stainless steel razor 2 or 3 times now ... so I'm glad I went with stainless....

If you really like your Merkur 23C, buy a second or third one. They aren't expensive, store them away until you need to replace the one you're using.

-Michael Cerda

Has it been confirmed that Ikon razors are stainless steel? I've seen posters on here say that the razors are stainless steel, but this aspect is conveniently never advertised on the product descriptions. You'd think that would be something worth mentioning. I ask because my bro is interested in slant razors.

Has it been confirmed that Ikon razors are stainless steel? I've seen posters on here say that the razors are stainless steel, but this aspect is conveniently never advertised on the product descriptions. You'd think that would be something worth mentioning. I ask because my bro is interested in slant razors.
iKon's ShaveCraft models are believed to be a cast aluminum alloy with some sort of coating and paired with a CNC machined stainless steel handle.

iKon's other currently manufactured models are believed to be a sintered stainless steel alloy with a coating and paired with CNC machined stainless steel handles.

I have never (knock on wood) had a problem with pot metal razors, but I'm well aware of the possibilities.

Right now, the only pot metal device I have in active rotation is a Merkur 34G ... it is the only DE razor I have bought new, and it has been going strong for 7 years now. If the head ever snapped off, I would replace it with the same thing in a heartbeat.

I also have (2) EJ89Ls, but one is my travel razor and doesn't get used very often, and the other was sent to me by my brother who tried DE shaving and didn't like it. So it goes in the Family Heirloom wing of my shaving museum and will never be used.

I understand the desire for having a razor that will last a lifetime. But you can replace a Zamack razor 3 or 4 times and still be under the cost of a Stainless Steel device.

I'd love to get a Stainless model someday. The ATT series looks like a good candidate. But until I hit it big and have boatloads of disposable income to spend on shaving, that dream will have to go on the back burner.

Last edited:
Call me a hater, or whatever you want, but anything cheapened nowadays is what I hate about human business decisions. I own only stainless ATT's, Feather AS-D2, and two vintage Gillette Techs. I love using and owning them.

I do have a Muhle R89 to try to convert people with by lending to, but I don't feel proud to use it.

Almost everything I own and use (love) is old school, top-notch quality. It's just how I am.

I think EternalBachelor makes a great point about supporting this passion of ours. Only the other day I was thinking about the fact that I don't own any modern razors and that I really ought to get at least one, to show my support for DE shaving. If we all turned our noses up at modern manufacturers they would die out and I think we'd be poorer for that.

On the the other hand, I feel the same as Z blade about humans cheapening things nowadays. I hate the fact that I am forced to buy cheap Chinese-manufactured rubbish much of the time because there's no viable alternative at a reasonable price. What I hate more, is the fact that the relentless race to the bottom, quality-wise, that has occurred over the last few decades is our own fault (our collective fault) for continually choosing to purchase cheaper goods in an effort to save money. Now I can't buy decent quality goods for love nor money and I'm ashamed to admit that I have been as much a part of the problem as anybody else.

Top Bottom