What's new

OWB For Conceal Carry

I recently got a Sig P938 to use as a carry gun. I would like to get an OWB holster as I generally find it more comfortable. However, where I live, its hot and humid 9 months out of the year. I have no intention of wearing 2 layers (cover garment). I generally wear shorts and t-shirts. I was just wondering if you have any suggestions for an OWB holster that I can conceal under a basic t-shirt, and any suggestions if any of you all carry this way.

I was recently looking a DM Bullard holsters and Zlogonje Gunleather holsters. Both looks nice, and seem to hold the gun tight to the body.

Thanks guys!

Andrews Saddle Holster, Ritchie CQ-QR, or Ritchie VSS. All are superior holsters to most of those currently available. I own and carry each. Hard to say which is 1, 2, 3..they're all excellent for effortless and effective every-day carry applications.

If you get the Milt Sparks VM-II with the kydex clips, you can carry the weapon completely concealed under a bloused shirt. I regularly carry a full-sized 1911 in that manner in the summer. However, this is under a conventional shirt. I doubt that you can reliably conceal a firearm of any size under a t-shirt without it printing or the hem riding up to reveal at least the lower part of an owb holster.

Problem I have with the vm2 is that I need a holster I can carry around 3:00. I work out of a truck which means I am sitting most of the day. Having a gun at 4-5:00 isn't comfortable.

Using the VM-II, my 1911 is carried far enough forward that the top of the frame sits just above, or just a hair forward of the side seam on a pair of jeans. The only time that I have a problem in a vehicle is in a car with deep bolsters, and it's not a comfort issue. I have an older model Crimson Trace laser grip with the side activation button, and the bolster presses on the button and runs down my battery if I forget to switch the laser off. :mad3:

Interesting. That's about where I carry. I try to line the rear sights up with the seam. Good info. Thanks!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
@OP. Good choice on the Sig 938. A friend of mine is just getting ready to purchase one. They come in so many different cool, color versions, I don't see how one decides which to get. Do you have a pic of yours you can show?

I actually got 2 guns this week

The P938
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435884221.758524.jpg

And a colt le6920
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435884241.743394.jpg

OkieStubble

Beautiful Sig. Where did you get your LE6920MP? I got mine at Walmart 5 years back. About $1100 after tax and out the door.

Beautiful Sig. Where did you get your LE6920MP? I got mine at Walmart 5 years back. About $1100 after tax and out the door.

I bought it from grabagun.com. They are an outfit just outside of Dallas. It cost me $899 + $5.99 shipping and $10 for the FFL fee since I am an NRA member. Not too bad. The sig I stole off gun broker for $451. Couldn't really afford it, but couldn't afford to pass it up either.

Took the Sig to the range today. The hammer didn't reset 3 times out of 100 rounds. Not sure what that's all about. It ejected the spent round, fed the new round, but the hammer didn't lock back. I'm hoping it just because it was new. Everything on the sig is extremely tight. I'm going to have to buy a couple hundred more rounds and see what happens.

OkieStubble

Wow, great prices on both. Sounds like you have a sear spring/hammer notch problem in your Sig. Doesn't mean it's broke, but possibly might need some adjusting.

Make sure your gun is empty and pull the trigger back, dropping the hammer on an empty chamber. Continue holding the trigger, and rack the slide. Does the hammer stay cocked? Or does it fall back down after the slide moves forward?

Took the Sig to the range today. The hammer didn't reset 3 times out of 100 rounds. Not sure what that's all about. It ejected the spent round, fed the new round, but the hammer didn't lock back. I'm hoping it just because it was new.
Did it fire more than one round because of that? Sounds like maybe a botched trigger job. Definitely not safe and needs to be fixed. Hopefully Sig will fix it for you.

I don't have any experience with the Sig design, but theoretically it is possible (although unlikely) for the slide to travel far enough back to strip a new round out of the clip, but not far enough to **** the hammer. It is more likely that the design is such that the hammer will **** before the slide travels all the way back.

If you have a dummy round, you can check this by manually cycling the slide. If this is the case, a change in ammunition may be in order.

Never fired two rounds at once. Nothing 'dangerous' happened, it just didn't reset the hammer.

The ammo I was using was about 3 years old, so that may be it. Interestingly, all 3 malfunctions happened in the 2nd box of ammo.

I tried pulling the trigger and working the slide about 50 times, and I couldn't replicate the issue. I will give that another go, doing it about 100 times, and pay more attention to trigger control.

I've got 50 rounds of that old ammo left, so I will buy another 50 and put 100 more through it, and see what happens. If it continues to do it, I will be contacting Sig, who should take care of it since the gun is no more than 1 month old.

I like the Uncle Mikes #1 (seen here left-handed) either IWB or between trousers and belt. Very comfortable, cheap, never moves, perfect for both P938 and Nano, hard to wear out. The inside face goes high - not so important with the Nano but a must with the P938 where hammer and other picky stuff will otherwise touch skin. Handles sweat good, too.

$IMG_20150707_193356.jpg $IMG_20150707_193441.jpg

The Sig P938 is a very small pistol, even compared to something like an M&P Shield. Consequently, I found a number of holsters that work for other platforms just don't work well for the P938. The Milt Sparks VM2 is very well regarded for 1911s, but just didn't work well with the P938 - there wasn't enough barrel below the belt line to hold the holster steady.

Currently my favorite holsters for the P938 are the CrossBreed MiniTuck and the DM Bullard Dual Carry. The Dual Carry works surprisingly well for OWB, and acceptably for IWB. The MiniTuck makes the P938 completely disappear.

As far as the hammer not cocking after the slide cycles, that's a pretty big deal. I highly recommend you take it to a gun smith for a full inspection before something bad happens. There are a number of possibilities (improper assembly / sear spring not in place correctly, poor hammer / sear engagement, etc.), and some could lead to a catastrophe. If you bought it used, I would suspect the previous owner tried to do a trigger job that didn't turn out well. If you bought it new and completely disassembled it, you may have put something together slightly wrong. If you bought it new and never took it apart beyond a basic field strip, there may be a defective factory part.

Last edited:
If you are in a truck all day then consider an ankle holster, ever try to draw while seated? Of course with shorts this might be difficult to conceal as well, are you in and out of the truck a lot (can't tell if you are a UPS type delivery/service guy or a long distance trucker type guy). Pocket carry in cargo shorts is another option, though you are usually limited to a mouse gun or flyweight .38 (lightweight .357....no thanks!).

Another consideration is whether or not you can legally OC or at least expose your holster while CCing and still be ok. Some states it won't really matter if your OWB is seen or not (and most folks are totally oblivious no matter how you carry) but in others even a glimpse of the holster might generate a brandishing charge, though the right holster with a squared off bottom ought to look enough like a cell phone holder that 99.99% of folks will see that instead (your appearance will probably contribute to which impression they generate).

Final option is to have a soft holster that will collapse when you sit and simply have a in car holster that you transition the pistol to while driving. Probably depend on how often you enter and exit the vehicle though, holstering and unholstering are the two most high risk times for most CCWers.

+ 1 for pocket carrying. I carry my Glock 27 in jeans and shorts all the time. I use a Galco pocket holster, and it works like a charm.

Top Bottom