What's new

Has anyone seen a blade split like this?

$Hill-Street-Blues-Lets-Be-Careful.jpg

There is a good chance that if you load the razor with the split blade you might see where and why it happened. Do it at your own risk.

Looks like the hosting site for your pic is out of bandwidth. All I see is "photo not found".

Possibilities include: blade flexed to its fatigue point, or a batch not properly tempered during production.

Looks like the hosting site for your pic is out of bandwidth. All I see is "photo not found".

Possibilities include: blade flexed to its fatigue point, or a batch not properly tempered during production.

Oops, sorry about that Lane. I moved the pics to a different folder in photobucket and forgot to update the URLs. It's fixed now. Thanks for your post! :001_smile

I take the blade out of my razor everytime and never seen that. Did you over tighten the head or misalign the blade before tightening?

Oops, sorry about that Lane. I moved the pics to a different folder in photobucket and forgot to update the URLs. It's fixed now. Thanks for your post! :001_smile

Thank you sir!

I can see now what you're talking about. Definitely not a usual occurrence for me or anything I've seen before.

I've never had a blade split like that, but the Standard Razors razor actually would roll the inside edge of that center slot of the blade. I had three replacements from them, and all of the razors did the same thing. Eventually, I had a blade where a piece chipped off the center slot because of being rolled. That was the last time I ever used the Standard.

Maybe there is something funny about the way your razor is holding the blade. Next time you install a blade, take it out and see if the blade has any wrinkles or warps.

I take the blade out of my razor everytime and never seen that. Did you over tighten the head or misalign the blade before tightening?

It's a possibility I suppose, although I am pretty careful about over-tightening and I do inspect my razor for blade alignment each time before I use it. I will be watching that more closely from now on.

Thank you very much for your comment.

Last edited:
I've never had a blade split like that, but the Standard Razors razor actually would roll the inside edge of that center slot of the blade. I had three replacements from them, and all of the razors did the same thing. Eventually, I had a blade where a piece chipped off the center slot because of being rolled. That was the last time I ever used the Standard.

Maybe there is something funny about the way your razor is holding the blade. Next time you install a blade, take it out and see if the blade has any wrinkles or warps.

I just took a look at the blade as per your suggestion. This time it is a Feather with two shaves on it (same ATT M2 razor). You can see a bit of an outline where the center bar of the base plate pushes the blade against the top cap. I don't know if that's unusual or not. Anyway there are no detectable wrinkles or warps on it yet.
Thank you for your comment.

Edit: I should note that I continue to get great shaves with my M2 and that this issue has not dampened my enthusiasm for or enjoyment of this razor in any way. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
I had a Gillette Super Blue shatter into about 8 pieces one time when I was taking it out of my Cooper Monobilt.

It wasn't from a bad batch either, just one of those weird random things that occasionally happen to ordinary people.

I've had two blades split in a very similar fashion in my Merkur Futur by not paying attention to the blade placement when snapping on the top cap. Both times a result of my inattentiveness.

I've had two blades split in a very similar fashion in my Merkur Futur by not paying attention to the blade placement when snapping on the top cap. Both times a result of my inattentiveness.

Good point....thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom