What's new

Western boot questions

So last night I ordered my first pair of western boots, a pair of ariat cowboss'. Now I have come here to ask any of you guys who owns a pair of western boots how I should care for them to allow for them to last the longest possible time. I'm caught up in conditioning, waterproofing, and polishing. Any tips or recommendations are much appreciated, thank you for reading.

Erich

I have worn western boots for years. I don't treat them different than any leather shoe except boots I use for the outdoors may get some waterproofing with a beeswax and/or mink oil treatment. For every day wear I just use some stuff I get at a shoe store called "Leather Conditioner". There are several varieties of leather cleaner/conditioner. For polishing I really like the Meltonian brand shoe polish cream that comes in many colors. After polishing I use a silicone spray water proofer just to shed water and dirt. Cowboy up and enjoy your boots!

I have worn western boots for years. I don't treat them different than any leather shoe except boots I use for the outdoors may get some waterproofing with a beeswax and/or mink oil treatment. For every day wear I just use some stuff I get at a shoe store called "Leather Conditioner". There are several varieties of leather cleaner/conditioner. For polishing I really like the Meltonian brand shoe polish cream that comes in many colors. After polishing I use a silicone spray water proofer just to shed water and dirt. Cowboy up and enjoy your boots!
Thanks for the input Steve!

I swear by neatsfoot oil. I have a pair of Ariats that I was wearing when we were stranded in the Red River for a few hours (long story). They were well conditioned before hand. Afterward I let them dry out for a few days then hit em with 3 more treatments of neatsfoot oil. Never did crack on me. They might actually be more comfortable than they were before...

I swear by neatsfoot oil. I have a pair of Ariats that I was wearing when we were stranded in the Red River for a few hours (long story). They were well conditioned before hand. Afterward I let them dry out for a few days then hit em with 3 more treatments of neatsfoot oil. Never did crack on me. They might actually be more comfortable than they were before...
I'll have to give that a try! So is this what I should do: clean off with brush, possible soap with a little water, let dry a little, go over with oil, if I want to polish and shoot with waterproofing?

That is it. No need to go all freaky on maintenance. Ariats are good quality and you will really like them. I have some of their Ropers that I wear all the time. Among my most comfortable shoes.

I'll have to give that a try! So is this what I should do: clean off with brush, possible soap with a little water, let dry a little, go over with oil, if I want to polish and shoot with waterproofing?

I also have a pair of Ariats, very comfortable. I need to clean my (again). Had them polished once at an airport. I have the stuff now, just need the time to get it done. :)

are they dress boots, or work boots? if dress boots, treat them as mentioned, as you would a dress shoe. a work boot... saddle soap, clean and dry, neatsfoot oil will help condition and soften them.

They're not work boots, I have a pair of rocky's I can get dirty. These will be used as dress shows or just a daily driver. Although I've heard you're supposed to let the leather breathe for 24 hours per wear to prolong longevity.

are they dress boots, or work boots? if dress boots, treat them as mentioned, as you would a dress shoe. a work boot... saddle soap, clean and dry, neatsfoot oil will help condition and soften them.
Forgot to quote you in my response, my bad!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
They're not work boots, I have a pair of rocky's I can get dirty. These will be used as dress shows or just a daily driver. Although I've heard you're supposed to let the leather breathe for 24 hours per wear to prolong longevity.

Yes, true for all shoes/boots.

Top Bottom