What's new

Carrying your Smartphone

Well, it finally happened. I can no longer claim to be a last holdout from getting a smartphone, as my place of employment has provided me with one (I didn't ask...). Anyway, now I have to determine how to carry the darn thing!

For my dumbphone, I just dropped it into my pocket (usually the one without my keys). This worked pretty well. However, the smartphone is obviously bigger (It's an S5, for those curious). I know that some use a holster on their hip/belt, but I'm not sure I'm excited about that (may be a necessity though?).

I guess it somewhat matters how I'm using it and what I want the case/cover for. The phone is provided by the company, but I still want to protect it. The S5 apparently has some dust/water protection already, so that is covered. I don't work in an incredibly dusty environment, and I'm not gonna take it swimming. :) I do want protection from falls, but nothing over the top. I'd like it to fit in my pocket and come out easily. But I also will be looking for an armband to wear it while running, so it either needs to fit in with the case or the case needs to be easily removed.

So, any thoughts out there gentlemen? As always, your help is appreciated.

Its easy to overthink. Just find the cheapest minimal case you can find on Amazon. Something to cover the back and sides in case of a drop, but not too bulky. If you can find that style case, then it should fit in your pocket fine.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
My two carry phones are both Samsung. I have a Note 3 and a Note 4, both rooted, the note 4 running CM12 ROM and the Note 3 running a stock ROM, and both with 128GB memory cards in addition to the onboard memory. I don't mind my phones getting scratched up, but I hate when a button is activated in my pocket just because I leaned up against something, or sat down, or whatever. So for both of them I bought flip type covers. You pop the back off the phone, and the back of the case or cover or whatever you want to call it snaps right onto the phone where the back was. The front has a window. Protects against pocket dialing, etc. Doubles as a stand. Slides in and out of pocket easily. I am sure they must have them for the "S" phones, too. Check the Samsung website. If you like to pocket carry, I think you will like the flip cover type.

Otterbox is great, but bulky. I had one back in my iphone days, before I saw the light and went Android.

You just have to look at the options and see what looks like a good fit for you. Generally speaking, less bulk means less protection but even the bulkiest cases aren't going to guarantee no damage from all drops. It's also your call whether you use a case in the first place or not. Not everyone does. If you want to easily pocket and remove it then avoid tacky (feel, not appearance) materials like silicone.

I only look for a case to minimize scratches on the body with minimal thickness and the Spigen Ultra Thin Air Case for the iPhone 5/5s works for me. It also has a screen protector.

The work iPhone 5 doesn't have a screen protector and is in whatever case and holster is standard issue for our company -- looks it's sold under many different names like "MiniSuit Clipster". I only carry it during work hours.

Last edited:
The biggest question is will the company replace the phone if it breaks? I used a holster for a while because I didn't like the bulk in my pocket. I hate the cases. Anything that is going to protect well has a portion that grips the edges of the screen. I cannot keep my screen clean with those things. When I try to wipe it off it just brushes everything to the edge where it accumulates on the case border. It also makes the screen feel smaller.

That being said, if you have to pay to replace it if something happens, then use a case. I dropped my G2 last year. It fell a whole 2 feet onto tile. It hit just wrong on the corner of the phone and shattered the screen. There goes $340...

I have an s5, and have a tech 21 case. It's simplistic and gets the job done, I keep the phone in my pockets 100% of the time. The case isn't a hassle to put into or take out of my pockeys. The case is slim and has non-newtonian fluid within to protect it from falls. Any kind of tempered glass (more expensive) or plastic screen protector (cheaper) should do!

I have an s5 and use the spigen neo hybrid case, love it! Very thin, and has protected from a few good drops. Also have a tempered glass screen protector which I love. ( I am rooted/unlocked running AICP for the all of the fellow android geeks)

I have an s5 as well but i'm netorious for dropping phones. I have it in a otterbox defender which ive removed the crappy plastic screen protector from. I use a Body Guardz tempered glass creen protector and love it. Easy customer service and there is no glare or oil slick look.

If you're dropsy and your company will make you pay for a new phone I'd recommend either Otterbox Defender or a Lifeproof Fre. The fre tends to be slimmer is water/dust proof, but is more spendy.
I keep my Iphone 6 in my pocket alongside my wallet, it works OK. I've found that I tend to lose phones when I have them on a belt holster/case.
If you where a suit/sport coat it will fit nicely in the inner pocket, which is where I prefer to keep it, until it's summertime and too warm for me to wear one. Otherwise some pants have specialized pockets for cell phones, namely Dockers which is really handy.

Cases serve two purposes - preventing cosmetic dings to the sides and back, and protecting from screen cracks.

Personally, a little bit of common sense is more then enough to protect the body in most cases. In case of a real accidental drop I'm not too worried about minor dents and the like.

Cracking the screen is your biggest worry in a drop, and the biggest culprit is landing on the edge and having cracks spider outward. Pretty much any case will help prevent that.

Everything after that is aesthetics, special circumstances (eg construction sites, water proofing, etc) or extra features like a wallet case, credit card slot, or built in battery.

I keep mine all the time in the back pocket of my pants. So the wallet is at the left and the phone at the right.

I'm glued to my smartphone, I could make up stories that it's for work, etc, but I've become addicted to the connected lifestyle.

I bought a case called a slimarmour and also an otterbox from Amazon for my 5s. I prefer the slimarmour because it takes up less space. I also put on a screen protector, and I only carry it in my pockets. Back pocket for jeans, front or back pocket for casual trousers, or jacket pocket when wearing a suit.

One of my colleagues got the Mophie case with build in batteries to extend the life and offer some protection, it's nice and slim, but it gets hot, and I think there have been instances of them actually catching fire.

Or course this is very much YMMV so the usual disclaimers, but personally I am not a fan of phone carriers on belts, I just don't think it's a good look.

Legion

Staff member
I just got issued a work one today for my new job. Now I have to carry two? Work and personal? What a PITA.

Help me out as well. I feel like a drug dealer.

I just got issued a work one today for my new job. Now I have to carry two? Work and personal? What a PITA.

Help me out as well. I feel like a drug dealer.

I just use my work phone for everything. My employer doesn't have any restrictions on what we can use our phones for though. I keep a personal line, but put it on a cheap old dumb phone. It usually stays at home. Sometimes charged, sometimes not.

Top Bottom