What's new

Who has built a roaster?

Everything was bought fairly cheap either though eBay or Goodwill. The "Mutt" is made from:

A 3x5 metal file box- $0.99 Goodwill
two relays- free from friend
two switches- 6.99 Radio shack
1500w dimmer for motor- 18.00 eBay
various wire- free from friend
5" dust buster motor- 1.50 Goodwill
4" to 3" PVC reducer- 5.99 hardware store
3" to 2" reducer - 3.99 hardware store
two cocktail shakers 1.99 Clearance Kmart
small piece of 2" exhaust pipe - free
heat element (about 6" removed) - 28.00 harbor freight
stainless sink drain- 15.00 Home Depot
small drain - 1.99 scratch and dent store
threaded rod- free from friend
bake a round- 14.00 eBay
240v plug- 5.00
Can of rubberized bed liner- had laying around

Total of about $105.00

Have roasted 3 batches with this and have found that I get to FC in about 12 minutes (my first batch was 8 minutes). Roasts are very even and I cool in the chamber and I eject the beans with a piece of 1" PVC pipe and blow them out.

This is a roaster "Mutt".

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/iphrcmsyiilqxuk/my%20roast.wmv?dl=0[/video]

I have actually tore this apart and have a new improved model in the works. It has full control of the heat and fan, plus added a LCD display and computer control.

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/iphrcmsyiilqxuk/my%20roast.wmv?dl=0[/video]

I have actually tore this apart and have a new improved model in the works. It has full control of the heat and fan, plus added a LCD display and computer control.

Beauty! I have the same thermometer and thermocouple kit! Same screwdriver multi-tool too!

Now this is awesome! This is exactly the rabbit hole that I was referring to on the other thread, and it is SWEET!

Have you tested what the maximum capacity is on something like this?

Have you tested what the maximum capacity is on something like this?

I can roast about 12 oz of greens coffee. This is a limit of the roasting chamber's size.

The video I posted shows a very active flow of the beans. My new roaster has much better control. The flow should be gentle not so violent. Maybe I'll put my roaster back together and (if there is interest) post a picture or video here.

Top Bottom