What's new

California firearm regulations

To the original question -- no, it is not legal to possess in the state of California. You can still own it, but you cannot bring it into the state. It does not matter if you toss the 19rd mags and drop 10 rd mags into it either -- the gun must have been manufactured as a 10rd max gun. Model numbers and serial numbers must match whatever is "on the roster." If your gun is not SPECIFICALLY listed on the roster it's not legal. Model and serial numbers are different depending on mag capacity, so if it was built and sold as a 19rd gun, it isn't legal in Cal because the state considers it a 19rd gun forever.

Check the roster here http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

If your gun(s) are not SPECIFICALLY listed, they're not legal. Local (Cal) gun shops won't touch 'em either - there's nothing they can do with them. Your best bet is to sell them where they're at and buy Cali guns. Sorry.

-Kesto

Dunno why no ones told you to go to calguns yet, its a website dedicated to gun ownership in kali. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a list of legal and not, and I'd think they'd prolly have a FAQ or similar for this situation. Worst case you'll have to post and ask, and I'm sure you'll get straightened out in about 5 minutes.

And I'd sell it off before going there instead of getting ripped off at some gun trade in. Those are for broken guns worth less than the amt being given. Or selling a hot gun to the authorities so you can laugh about it later, but I doubt that one applies in your situation.

Kesto, in line with the rules of the forum to be nice and the fact that you live in San Leandro (aka one of the worst places to own or get gun advice in the state) I will only say you are so wrong.

A gun not being on the roster does not immediately make it illegal in the state. The roster applies to new/used sales by dealers and consignment sales by dealers. Guns that have fallen off the roster and private party transfers are not affected by the roster even though a dealer must process the transaction One of the guns listed on my CCW is off roster now and OMG the sheriff doesn't care.

That also leads to CCW's, it is very dependant on where you plan to live. Kern is pretty easy but LA is the be rich or famous policy. All this is currently under review by the 11th circuit court but it may work out for us eventually. I got lucky in the period that my agency was pretty good about self defense.

The information about calguns is good, we are a welcoming community and while a bit smarmy (stay out of OT for a while) it s a good amount of info. The flowcharts for legality are very helpful.

As far as your gun, its legal to move in with, and if you sell it within 60 days you don't have to register it. You can probably make a bit more than MSRP or close to it on your gun since its off roster with a PPT. Make an account and come say hi.

Last edited:
I don't want to sell it. I would much rather keep it and enjoy it. If I can be legit with installing 10 round magblocks then I will be good to go. As far as I can tell from the model number it is actually currently on the roster.

Kesto, in line with the rules of the forum to be nice and the fact that you live in San Leandro (aka one of the worst places to own or get gun advice in the state) I will only say you are so wrong....

No offense taken. It's not like I've never been wrong before. Everything in my post was stated based on my own, personal experience over many years with many different shops. You're spot-on about this area being just about the WORST in the nation regarding gun info and purchase. This isn't the first time I've heard conflicting info about what I've been told as gospel truth. I really believe that a lot of the shops put their own spin on the rules to satisfy their own interests. (Surprise!)

Now I'm really interested to know what happens here. I'd like to know exactly what his local shops tell him what he can or cannot do.

-Kesto

I don't want to sell it. I would much rather keep it and enjoy it. If I can be legit with installing 10 round magblocks then I will be good to go. As far as I can tell from the model number it is actually currently on the roster.

You can keep the gun, but not the magazines. Only 10+ magazines allowed here are from people that possessed them before the year 2000 while residing in CA. As far as registering your gun, I don't even think you need to take the gun anywhere.

According to the CA DOJ site, you just have to fill out a form and send a $19 check to them. They will perform a criminal background check on you to make sure you are eligible by CA standards to own a firearm:

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

The form: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf?

You can keep the gun, but not the magazines. Only 10+ magazines allowed here are from people that possessed them before the year 2000 while residing in CA. As far as registering your gun, I don't even think you need to take the gun anywhere.

According to the CA DOJ site, you just have to fill out a form and send a $19 check to them. They will perform a criminal background check on you to make sure you are eligible by CA standards to own a firearm:

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

The form: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf?

Then there's this gem:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/30/us-usa-guns-losangeles-idUSKCN0Q425020150730

The Los Angeles City Council voted unanimously to ban the possession of large-capacity gun magazines on Tuesday, following San Francisco to become the second major city in California to take that step.
The ordinance prohibits Los Angeles residents from possessing a handgun or rifle magazine that fits more than 10 rounds.
Residents would have 60 days after the law takes effect to remove, sell or transfer such magazines from city limits in compliance with state law, or surrender them to the LAPD.
The law would take effect 30 days after Mayor Eric Garcetti signs it, a move that he was "eager" to make, he said in a statement.

Ridiculous. I carry at my day job, this affects me directly.

Last edited:
Once again, there is no politics allowed in the forum. Last shot with this thread, the next one I have to delete will be jeopardizing their membership. I hope this is clear enough. Prior warnings and requests are not being heeded..

Hopefully you read this before you needlessly get rid of your gun. I'm a CA LEO, and despite never wanting to give legal advice, I'll take a stab at it. As stated by a couple others, your gun is legal to posses because legal out of state purchases (IE I lived out of state and legally purchased it) along with private party transfers are exempt from the roster of handguns certified for sale. They are not, however, exempt from the "assault weapon" ban, so no threaded barrels on simi-auto pistols, etc. I believe that magazine blocks are not legal unfortunately, they have to be dedicated 10 round magazines (I think). But I do know that as of January 1, 2015 simply possessing any magazine with over 10 round capacity is a misdemeanor, regardless of how or when you obtained it. It used to be legal-ish to own and posses (it was a "nuisance law" enforceable simply by confiscation of the magazine, but no criminal punishment), but the "grandfather" rule of high cap magazines purchased before the ban was removed from the penal code. Possession of an unregistered firearm is also a misdemeanor, so just make sure you register it within the 60 days and you're good. Like I said though, I'm a cop not a lawyer, so take everything with a grain of salt. Welcome back to California.

Well gentlemen,

The paradigm has shifted. I just received a phone call from the moving company and was told the firearm is "missing". They have already filed a report with the local police and begun a claims process to reimburse me the cost of the weapon. I was provided a phone number and a point of contact for the police so that I can file a missing weapons report. The way the moving company representative explained it to me it would appear the weapon is "unaccounted for" or "misplaced". Upon speaking with the police representative it is apparent that this is definitely not the case. The police representative that was dispatched to the initial report was the person I was put in contact with. He explained to me that it is not a case of a "missing" weapon but a case of a "stolen" weapon. The crate was opened, the safe was compromised (more of a locker than a safe), the locks were cut off of the original briefcase/package the weapon/holster/mags were in and the weapon and mags have been stolen. This crate has been in storage for 4 years and no one knows when this even happened.

Obviously this is bad JUJU and it has me upset in numerous ways. First, there is an extremely deadly weapon registered to my name floating around the streets with who knows who! Second, when did this happen and why is it just now being identified - AFTER 4 YEARS!! Third, this company was hired by the Department of Defense on behalf of the U.S. Navy to "safely" store my personal belongings while I was forward deployed to defend and protect this great country (by being a good tax payer thereby allowing the DOD to pay this company)!!! This is wrong on so many levels and there is nothing I can do other than file a report and wait for a check in the mail. I have a hunch I will not be receiving full value of the weapon either, more like a deflated, depreciated value.

I appreciate the info from all who have contributed and I will post the final resolution when the dust finally settles.

Edwin

Sorry to hear about your loss. I had some guns stolen from my house a few years back along with the safes they were in, so I know both the feeling of having guns registered to you out on the street & also the depreciation value you will receive from the insurance. I didn't get hit too bad on my newer pistols, but I had a nice browning .243 with a Leopold scope on it & i received next to nothing for it.

A few things you will want to look at as you are moving back to the state. To purchase guns here you will need to sign a statement (& give a description/model number) of an approved safe--iirc (since it has been a few years for me) this is only if you have children in the house, though things may have gotten more strict in the last five years or so... Worth looking into before you order something. Also, not that it matters for you now that your pistol was stolen, but AD military (along with LEOs) were waived when it came to the high cap mag ban (and other weapons). The way the elements of the law were worded, iirc, was unclear whether or not it needed to be a duty weapon for military. It doesn't really apply to you now that your mags are gone, but might be good info to research.

As as to ccw, this varies greatly by county. So look into it where you are going.

As as to ccw, this varies greatly by county. So look into it where you are going.

+1 for sure. Here in San Bernardino County the local Sherriff has made CCW very accessible. provided you meet the minimum legal requirements defined by state/federal laws, all you have to do is ask (no creative reason or explanation required). And of course you have to carry a California approved weapon.

Where are you at in San Bernardino county? I no longer live there, but grew up in Yucaipa & still have family there.

I'm in Hesperia (or as I like to call it-the armpit if California). The current and past Sherriff both have been pretty good with CCW permits but I think the wait times for all the background etc are still a touch out of hand.
I had a friend that lived in Yucaipa many years ago, way at the end of the BLVD. we road our skateboards to the bottom one day (not thinking about how we would get back to the top) had to call his mom at work to get a ride home. I wouldn't let my kids try that these days.

Last edited:
I'm in Hesperia (or as I like to call it-the armpit if California). The current and past Sherriff both have been pretty good with CCW permits but I think the wait times for all the background etc are still a touch out of hand.
I had a friend that lived in Yucaipa many years ago, way at the end of the BLVD. we road our skateboards to the bottom one day (not thinking about how we would get back to the top) had to call his mom at work to get a ride home. I wouldn't let my kids try that these days.

I used to live at the top of the blvd too, right near flag hill park.

I used to live at the top of the blvd too, right near flag hill park.
Yup, up by flag hill park. It was a while ago but we used to go to a 7/11 near there for goodies and use fields up in that area for boomerang throwing (is it me or do those thing never work). I'm going to guess but it might have been 1988ish since I was there as a kid but I have taken my family back to the regional park many times.
Yucaipa is an area that just screams "shooting range" but I do not believe they have one. The nearest that I am aware of is Redlands shooting park (a good place to pull a trigger but not much more).

Just need to Say one thing: TEXAS. :001_cool:
Oh sure rub it in! I am very close. My business partner moved there, by October our corporate location will be Texas based (2016 means no more California corporate taxation-the tax savings alone will pay the rent on our office in Texas).

Top Bottom