What's new

Head Shaving Advice

So I'm using my Merkur 34C for face-shaving with no problems, but I also shave my head a few times a week. I haven't been brave enough to try that with a DE razor as yet, but I wondered whether there is a better razor for head-shaving than the Merkur?

I'm guessing that something a little lighter with a longer handle would be a good idea, but could an experienced head-shaver offer any tips? I know from experience how much a cut on your scalp can bleed and I don't really want to start out by recreating the shower scene from Psycho... :blink:

I use a Fatboy it is the only DE I have, just got lucky and found it in the wild for $2.50. I actually like the heavy weight and short handle. I find I hold it choked up really high almost right under the head when working blind on the back of the head. I started on 3 and worked my way to 9 after 3-4 shaves. It really isn't that scary just be careful not to roll it or slide it sideways and you should be fine.

My head seems much less sensitive than my face. Use a light touch, watch your angle, and take your time. I was way scared to try DE on my dome but it has been a non-event when I take my time.

My head seems much less sensitive than my face. Use a light touch, watch your angle, and take your time. I was way scared to try DE on my dome but it has been a non-event when I take my time.

Agreed.

Set aside the time and be prepared for it to take a little while at first.

The same principles as for shaving the face apply; it's just slightly different real estate.

Head shaving preferences differ just as much as face shaving preferences do. I say start with what you already have. The 34c should be a perfectly capable razor. Start there. Use it for a few months and then decide if there are things you do or do not like about it, and then we can give some new recommendations. I actually prefer heavier razors on my head, not lighter, and I've settled on 3 - 3.5 inch handles as ideal for me. In my year of head shaving with DEs, I've only cut myself once. That was in my first couple of weeks DE shaving when I was still trying to get comfortable using a DE in the first place. You can expect the occasional weeper, just like you can shaving your face, but I don't think you need to worry about cuts. Just take it slow around the ears at first. That was my only trouble area.

Head shaving preferences differ just as much as face shaving preferences do. I say start with what you already have. The 34c should be a perfectly capable razor. Start there. Use it for a few months and then decide if there are things you do or do not like about it, and then we can give some new recommendations. I actually prefer heavier razors on my head, not lighter, and I've settled on 3 - 3.5 inch handles as ideal for me. In my year of head shaving with DEs, I've only cut myself once. That was in my first couple of weeks DE shaving when I was still trying to get comfortable using a DE in the first place. You can expect the occasional weeper, just like you can shaving your face, but I don't think you need to worry about cuts. Just take it slow around the ears at first. That was my only trouble area.
Great advice Garrett.

Yeah the ears can be an issue. I completely agree with gwsmallwood on this. I've got one or two weepers but not nicks or worse. I did find out that using Aqua Velva Ice Blue isn't my thing afterwards. The sensation is just too much.

I second this. Great advice.

Edit: I've never cut my head like Smallwood though =P

I am relatively new to head shaving with a DE razor but have tried a few times with my EJ89 with good results. I have cut myself a few times but it has always been the result of moving the razor from one location on my head to another and inadvertently bumping the razor into my noggin. Go sloooooow and pay attention and it should be no problem. Loose focus and there will be blood lol

There's some really good advice on here. Mainly just don't over think it; like a lot on here my head is way much less sensitive than my face. I've used my EJ since I got it and once you figure out the direction your hair grows it's really pretty simple. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I have tried various DE and SE razors. Few works as well as a HeadBlade. It's almost fool-proof.

It's funny, I've been head shaving since 1997 and didn't hear/know about the headblade until I joined this great community. I still won't try it though, because it uses a cartridge and I figure it won't last long and/or be more pricey than DE blades.

The gadget only costs $15 and can often be found on sale. My current HB have lasted 3 years. I feed it generic Atra blades from eBay.

I wasn't doubting the device itself, I was referencing the cartridge longevity/price. How many BBS/ATG shaves do the generic Atra blades give you?

How many BBS/ATG shaves do the generic Atra blades give you?

I rarely strive for BBS (WTG+ATG). Mostly do just one modified WTG (one swipe front to back). One Atra lasts me about 10 days. I pay about $25 per 100 blades.

Last edited:
I rarely strive for BBS (WTG+ATG). Mostly do just one modified WTG (one swipe front to back). One Atra lasts me about 10 days. I pay about $25 per 100 blades.

That's not bad, actually. I strive for BBS because I'm still learning my technique, and it's easier to do BBS on the back of my head than have doubts that I missed a spot and it looks different from the rest of my head lol. The mach3's would only last me 1 shave ATG, and the DE blades 2-4 shaves depending on the blades. So when I get comfortable with the non-BBS, I will strive to become part of the excalibur club.

I hope the Astra SP will perform at least 2 shaves because I got a 100 pack for $16.90 shipped.

I had considered the head blade, but there is something fun about using a 50-100 year old razor. I can get excellent results with several different DEs and SEs, but whatever works for you it works.:thumbup1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom