What's new

trying new blades sampler

So I've been using DE blades for 6 months. Liking the results . Using my Parker 90R ,So far I've like Shark and Astra SP blades. Looking for a better shave , I bought a top 10 sampler from Try a blade. They sent me the Luxury Sampler by accident . Jason was great , he's giving the me 3 luxury blade sampler and sending me the top 10 sampler that I had ordered .

I tried the Legendary Feather blade today and my god, it did not disappoint ! It was smooth and sharp as advertised . On my first pass wtg, I was Sao scared to cut myself that I probably applied to little pressure that The hair wasn't removed properly , so I did a 2nd pass WTG with better results. I followed it up with Xtg and ATG passes, that thankfully didn't require any blood transfusions. I had one or 2 nicks but overall loved the performance. Will use it till it dulls and try out Vokshed , personna or the Kai that everyone raves about.

Top 10
ASTRA - Superior Platinum
Personna - Lab Blue
Feather - New Hi-Stainless
Personna - Platinum (Israeli Reds)
Gillette - Silver Blue
Voskhod - Telfon Coated
ASTRA - Superior Stainless
Derby - Extra
Gillette - 7 0'Clock - SharpEdge
Polsilver - Super Iridium

Luxury Blade Sampler
Gillette - Silver Blue
Kai - Stainless Steel
Personna - Med Prep
Voskhod - Telfon Coated

Nice assortment. Try a Blade has an amazing selection. Along with the Feather blades, I'm partial to the Gillette Silver Blue. A box of Kai is the latest "untried" blade I have.

I've gotten several samplers and have run them through a number of razors and I always surprised with the differing results. As they say here, "YMMV"

A variety of sampler packs is the smart way to go! One DE shaver's holy grail is another's plague from hell. Hope you find the blade(s) you get the best results from, soon!.

A small piece of advice: keep any leftovers from blades you think aren't good for you right now. In six months or a year you might change your mind. As our lathering and shaving technique improves, our initial blade choices sometimes change, too.

A small piece of advice: keep any leftovers from blades you think aren't good for you right now. In six months or a year you might change your mind. As our lathering and shaving technique improves, our initial blade choices sometimes change, too.

will keep that in mind !

Top 10
ASTRA - Superior Platinum
Personna - Lab Blue
Personna - Platinum (Israeli Reds)
Gillette - Silver Blue
Voskhod - Telfon Coated
ASTRA - Superior Stainless
Derby - Extra
Gillette - 7 0'Clock - SharpEdge

Luxury Blade Sampler
Gillette - Silver Blue
Kai - Stainless Steel
Personna - Med Prep
Voskhod - Telfon Coated
I'm surprised you like the Derby's.

So just tried the Vokshod blades. I think I Like them better than the feathers ! Holy Moly! Very Smooth shave no nicks nothing .

My first shave (literally in the past couple of days) was with an Astra Platinum, and it was simply amazing - the experience was my first post here on B&B today. It's definitely going to be the blade I use while learning and improving my technique. I feel when I am through those (100 pack) I'll be ready to try the Feathers. I respect them too much to load those in so early in my trek.

One thing which I would suggest to our OP... you have built some experience and developed your technique and now is a good time to test some more blades. It might be worthwhile to go back to one of your current blades between each of the new blades which you test. That way it will be easier to compare a new blade with one which you already know.

Good luck!

Tryablade is indeed a great business model with a great product.

When I first did DE, there was no internet, and blade choices were limited to what was available in a BM store. Furthermore, I was constrained by my finances to only the store-branded ones, which were a dime or a quarter cheaper a tuck.

Fast forward 30 years. Hundreds of different blades available from around the world, a a bit more money in the pocket.

So, I buy the sampler.

What it convinced me of, more than anything, is that I really cannot tell the difference between one blade and another, and that I'm able to get a good shave with pretty much anything.

One thing which I would suggest to our OP... you have built some experience and developed your technique and now is a good time to test some more blades. It might be worthwhile to go back to one of your current blades between each of the new blades which you test. That way it will be easier to compare a new blade with one which you already know.

Good luck!
Very good advice David.

Top Bottom