What's new

Gillette Adjustables: the original gimmick?

Wow, what a huge let-down my first couple shaves with the '63 Slim have been. I mean, I knew that the adjuster served the same function as shims in a Tech; I wasn't expecting different.

Well, I got different. The blade is not as secure. There's enough room around the risers that the blade can flex at the ends when the TTO mechanism is tightened completely (which I must now consider to be "overtightening"). There is also enough play around the center divider that the whole blade tilts (uneven gap) if I don't put a thumb to one endcap as the doors are shut.

Now, I understand this thing is six years older than me, and there is a visible ding on an endcap which I will tinker at to achieve better balance. But it's not like the thing isn't solid. The extra waves. wiggles and wobbles seem inherent to the design. Will anyone confirm?
$IMG_20150629_172712.jpg$IMG_20150629_172845.jpg$IMG_20150629_172536.jpg
The "ding" I saw is in the second image, right side of top cap bent inward, and where the door is hinged went with it (not shown, but I'd say they are deflected a half millimeter). You'd think that would depress the edge nearest the damage, but it's the opposite end that can touch the safety bar.

Last edited:
Sounds like there is something wrong with your Slim. I have owned and used the Slim, Fatboy, and Black Beauty. Most functioned perfectly. Put the blade in, twist it closed, and lock in place with last quarter turn. The blades were aligned and tight at each setting. I have owned several though that the blade gaps were uneven, the doors were sloppy, etc. This typically means something is bent. It can be the safety bars, the door wings, the T-bar, or something else. Go check out some of Captain Murphy's Slim tear down videos. Usually you could send it to CAP for adjustments but he is on active duty right now.

I have both a Slim and a Fatboy. While not among my favorite razors, neither has issues with the blade being secure. Like you, I would be hesitant to shave if the blade didn't feel like it was solidly in place. I suspect that the problem is with your individual razor, and not with the adjustables as a class.

I would say there is something wrong with the razor. I recently purchased a Slim from my local auction. It turns 1/4 at the end with even pressure and everything is held securely with even blade gap.

Many DE users go through a phase with TTOs and adjustables before finding out how well three-piece razors work.

I have also put aside three piece razors for being finagle-y, and this is definitely headed that way.
I would say there is something wrong with the razor. I recently purchased a Slim from my local auction. It turns 1/4 at the end with even pressure and everything is held securely with even blade gap.

My doors make contact with the blade, then +two lines of handle (60 degrees) seems right.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I never had that problem with my FB, Slim, or Super Adjustables. I think your razor has been dinged out of true.

Gimmick it is not. A decent adjustable has a lot of advantages, especially for the DE newbie. No need to start learning with a known mild razor and then "upgrade" to a more aggressive one later, for instance, because you have 9 razors of varying degrees of mildness in one package. Or you can dial it down for an ATG pass. Whatever. If I were not a straight shaver, my first choice would be a vintage Gillette adjustable, second choice a vintage 3 piece, 3rd choice a Feather SS.

That slim is definitely damaged, the blade gap is not even. Maybe a bent safety bar? It needs a good tune up from the captain

Okay, it definitely sounds like some effort is warranted. I don't live in a world where this sort of thing gets sent out for service, but I've been meaning to tap some NEW teeth into shape... wish me (and the razors) luck!

Okay, it definitely sounds like some effort is warranted. I don't live in a world where this sort of thing gets sent out for service, but I've been meaning to tap some NEW teeth into shape... wish me (and the razors) luck!

Good luck. Hopefully the teeth don't break.

I sent a Fatboy to Razor Emporium and they did a good job in straightening out a similar issue ... yours is definitely a dodgy razor; both my Fatboys (both Gold) and both my Slims (one Gold, one nickel) are now great firm tight razors

Sorry brother man but I've had better shaves from my slim than from my ATT slant, and you don't get better craftsmanship or precision than ATT. I would say try again, there is such thing as a baad apple, that doesn't make the tree bad. I'm about to post My Slim, or my Black Beauty for sale if you are interested. I can attest to both of them shaving well, I just tend to lean to the longer handle since I am used to my ATT Colossus.

The Gillette Slim is one of the finer razors ever made, by anyone, anywhere.

I have never met an adjustable razor that I didn't like, and like very much!

In Captain Murphy's disassemby video, he mentioned the adjustment mechanism being impervious to damage from dialing when the TTO was locked. Well, I had previously heard the opposite, and I think that was the root of my problem. Though I did also put some things back into alignment with a couple pairs of pliers, what really made the difference was that I hadn't locked the doors down, too fearful of hurting the precious antique. But when I muckled the knobs up tight, the blade seems very straight and secure indeed.

Another factor in this misunderstanding was that I'm just not used to seeing that small a gap on a straight-bar safety razor. So when I saw one end of the blade drop, I went right into error mode. I mean, what am I supposed to do with this thing on "1," try to pass peaches off as nectarines? I have heard of the overclocking, but I'm going to give this razor a break.

I'm afraid I loosened one of the pressure fittings on the door assembly (what I was calling an "end cap"), fooling around with a watch hammer, before I settled on the pliers, so if anybody knows the trick to that, now...

I recently acquired my dad's old first-quarter 1964 Slim, and have used it twice so far. The first time, it was brutal. Tugging, burn, and a lot of stubble left behind. When I looked at it closely, it looked like the gap between blade edge and the metal below it was not quite the same from side to side. People on here said maybe it's defective. It's believable, especially considering I don't know how much care my dad took with it for those thirty years of use.

But the second shave was like day and night. Before starting, I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and focused on calming down and bring mentally prepared. Whilst shaving, I made a conscious effort to pay constant attention to blade angle, every stroke. The result was one of the best shaves I've ever gotten.

I basically had to re-learn shaving with the Slim. I had to view it as a razor blade holder, focusing on the blade edge itself rather than head and handle. I had to pay attention to the feel and the sound of each stroke. With that new awareness, I saw the Slim transformed from a rickety old tool into a fine shaving instrument.

I think you got a banged up slim….many people must drop theirs with some frequency if not careful about it.

There's nothing wrong with the adjustable family…think about it.

Fatboy gave you 9 potential blade gap combinations for $1.95 ($16.12 in todays money) in 1958….nowadays you have to pay around $200 for an ATT.

I wouldn't call it the original gimmick but the original genius.

Top Bottom