What's new

Gillette Adjustables: the original gimmick?

I definitely think you got one with something wrong with it. I love my Slim, and each setting actually changes the closeness of the shave. Brilliant, IMHO.

I think the Slims and the Fatboys are the greatest razors that were ever created. YMMV of course, but for my face, no three piece has even come close, and limiting myself to a Tech or Maggard during travel always seems like a hardship . My rotation of DEs is 90% TTO. But of course, they can be damaged and put out of alignment as they are old mechanical devices.

Interesting responses. True, shaving with an out of whack Slim is nothing like the hazard that is a poor quality Merkur clone. I was totally faceturbating a DFS even while complaining!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I agree that you wound up with a bum Slim, but it can be fixed up (as you've discovered). I've had some mighty fine shaves with my Slims, and the Slim is one of my favorite razors. As far as any adjustables go, I've learned a lot from working on those settings and finding what works for me (and how that has changed over time).

No matter what, any razor is only a blade holder.

I have had my FB and Slim since they first came out. For me they are a well made razor that give excellent shaves.

I have uncovered video evidence that back in the day, they behaved no different than mine (once I pried it off the safety bar, that is):
https://youtu.be/4vWzo3raPuQ
I don't think they tightened theirs down either. And here I thought I was so much smarter than the marketeers... sigh
$IMG_20150701_143252.JPG

Last edited:
I think I see why so many people "overclock":
$0701151245-1-1.jpg
Slim on 9, Travel Tech with no shims. Maybe they should have used negative numbers?

Compare the screenshot, of a not-tightened down "8," and I think I can close this case: there's nothing wrong with my Slim. Come on, guys: it's a LITTLE hyped, don't you think?

Last edited:
Linky no worky.

Most seem very pleased with how they shave (mine shaves great). If it's not working for you, PIF/GD it and move on.

First if the inside of the razor is gunked up it may not tighten up properly when given the"quarter turn". I had a Fatboy that gave me fits and after messing with it I gave it away to someone else to repair. I also had a toggle that had blade gap issues that the Captain repaired. I promptly sold that one.
Having said all that my current collection of a 66 Slim, a 59 Fatboy, a 60 toggle, and a 73 SA all work perfectly and give wonderful shaves. I do use the adjustment depending on what blade I have and how close/aggressive of a shave I want.

I have 3 Slims and 3 Fatboys and love em all. Got them about 6 years ago and they are all in excellent condition. Will never get rid of them and need nothing else. A man has got to have backups for the backups.

I bought into adjustables and believe they are an important part of collecting, but I don't use them Monday thru Friday 9 to 5. Definitely prefer fixed 3 piecer's or fixed TTO's.

Top Bottom