What's new

SOTD "Patriotic / Free Week" June 29th - July 5th, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
29-6-2015

Water and soap :: Cold river Soap Works, Select, Savon num. 1 :: JiM Creative Shaving brush, stainless steel, 24mm TGN silvertip :: Gillette new, feather :: Aqua velva

proxy.php

Fast shave today, without too much time for enjoying this hobby. The result has been good, but I like to spend more time... maybe tomorrow morning.

Greetings!

Great photos to start the week, gentlemen! Have a lovely Monday! :001_smile

Guy
winblows
Dave
alfredus
Cash
Claudio
Josep
Brian
Phil
Noah
witeq
Robk
Murray
Matt
Eveningcoffee
Richard
120inna55
Jeff

Last edited:
Monday 29th June

Warm shower
Hot towel
CRSW Classic No2 bowl lathered
Finest Badger brush made by myself
Gillette NEW DeLuxe Big Boy
Gillette Nacet Stainless (2)
Cold rinse
Thayers Lemon witch hazel
Myrsol Formula K aftershave

Monday’s SOTD…

ATT Kronos M2 / Astra SP
B&B Omega Blonde Boar Shaving Brush
Fine Stoneware Lather Bowl
Tabac Shaving Soap & ASL

proxy.php

Have a good Monday gentlemen!

Nice Posts and Photos today Gents:

Winblows
Guy
alfredus
Cash
Claudio
Celestino - Beautiful
Josep
Brian
Phil
Noah
Witeq
Rob
Murray
UngerWoo
Eveningcoffee

Have a good day gents.

Last edited:
SOTD 2015-06-29

Hot shower
1972 Wizamet Junior P1 with no name blade
Polonia 2014 LE boar brush
Artisan shave bowl
MWF shaving soap
Fiord aftershave

proxy.php

water's edge

Simpson vintage KH2 * TSN / Saponificio Varesino Flying Mango * 1963 Slim * Polsilver SI (7x) * Captain's Choice Sandalwood

Last edited:
Great photos at start the week,gents!:thumbup:
Enjoy your day :001_smile

Winblows
ram57
skypsyd (lovely!)
alfredus
Cash_Stronomer (nice b&w shot!)
ClaudioBP
celestino (great as always!)
Tallapoc
782sirbrian
sandstone
noahpictures
robk (very nice!)
sarimento1 (beautiful photo and shaving kit!)
UngerWoo
Eveningcoffee (another one nice b&w shot!)

Last edited:

SOTD, Monday, June 29th, 2015

Back home, shower and Musgo Glyce face lather and rinse
Proraso White shave soap
Rudy Vey beehive badger brush
Red Imp 5/8" straight razor
Cool washcloth rinse
Aqua Velva Ice Blue aftershave

Wishing all a wonderful week!

proxy.php

Head & face shower shave. days growth. A little mishap between my scalp and the carport meant I had to take a break from shaving for a few days.

Technique: WTG / XTG / ATG

Prep: Shower. Lucky Tiger Face Wash

Soap: Saponificio Varesino "Flying Mango" TheShaveNook.com Ltd. Edition

Brush: Ever-Ready 100T restored by Thomas Burgess with TGN Finest Badger knot

Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant v4

Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless(1)

I'm a big fan of Saponificio Varesino, specifically Manna di Sicilia. Thus far, it has been the benchmark of my artisan soaps. I can consistently use SV-MdS and skip any post products. Admittedly, sometimes that leads to some conflict, because I have so many pleasurable aftershaves that I often use them anyway. Until now, MdS has been my only experience with Saponificio Varesino. I recently picked up a couple of the TheShaveNook.com-branded Limited Edition "Flying Mango". Given it's still the Beta 4.0 formulation, I expected similar results in addition to a neat limited edition tin. The scent off the puck was purely cedar to my nose. Experience dictates one should never base their opinion of a soap's scent off the puck. You must lather it to get a sense of it. I go one further and say you probably need to shave with it a couple times to fully appreciate it. That said, with my maiden voyage of "Flying Mango," the only scent I could pick-up on was cedar---that's it. Now, it was pleasant enough. I would say it’s a "clean" cedar with a touch of soapiness as opposed to having pungent notes---much like "Clean Vetiver" compares to "Fresh Vetiver". It's not soapy like Pre de Provence soapy, mind you. I don't know what I really expected from the scent, but it remained mild and single-faceted throughout the 3-pass shave.

As to performance, it definitely has a different consistency from MdS. I assume this is the result of the inclusion of mango butter. It was a very dense paintable lather. It's easy to let this lather be on the dry side because it behaves differently in the lathering bowl than it does on my skin. I just dribbled a little water on the brush tip and proceeded to do a little scalp lathering to achieve a more manageable lather. It was quite luxurious. I was able to paint a dense, even, slick coat on my skin with an almost blinding sheen. Cushion and glide was spot on as expected from SV.

I was easily able to achieve BBS with only minimal touch-up needed. The RazoRock Stealth Slant with a fresh Treet Platinum really showed its brawn on 4-days growth. There was zero tugging even on the first pass. This was a very nice combination.

The post-shave feel was nice, but maybe not quite as soft as what I experience with MdS. While it's very similar, this is clearly a different soap from MdS. Since this was my first use of Flying Mango, I'll wait until I have a few more shaves with it before I make a final declaration, but for now, it falls just behind Manna di Sicilia.

proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom