What's new

Change blades for every shave? Why not?

I change my blade every shave because I want to. I want a fresh blade each shave - and at .28 a shave, I can afford it.
It also guarantees sharpness and it being sterile.

Another vote for shaves 2 and 3 being better than shave 1. Shave 4 is usually about as good as shave 1 too for me using Astra SP's. Astras are so cheap it's really not about the money, it's just that it's silly to throw away something that to me is perfectly good.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Like many others here, I find the shave gets better after the first shave. Personna blue packs I use in a DE for up to around 7 shaves. 7 O'Clocks green or yellow around 4-5 shaves. Thats in a DE razor. I find them quite effective in a shavette for up to 10 shaves per half, believe it or not.

Anyway, it seems a waste to me, to toss a blade just when it is getting good, after shave number 1.

I'm using 7oc green currently and deciding whether 2 or 3 uses is optimal. Tomorrow will be #3 on today's blade and I will make a decision after a couple of weeks of 7oc

For some reason after over 20 years of DE every blade is fairly good, some are better but most last me a working week Mon-Fri shaving so I replace the blade on the week end.

For me at list there are very few blades that will give me a bad shave after used in that way. One exception Treet carbon, these are HORRIBLE which ever shave (YMMV). A small selection of blades can give me up to 15 shaves without problem, noticeably the English made Wilkinsons Sword.

I usually toss a blade after 2-3 shaves. I like a fresh edge. Plus, they're cheap. I'd rather err on the side of tossing a blade too soon than risk one getting too dull mid-shave.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I find that most blades don't start falling off with me until after around 3 shaves, so I usually toss 'em after 3.

I'm happy to dump a blade whenever I feel like it. Tiny amount of money we're talking about here.

But sometimes a blade and I seem to find a groove: 4-5 shaves, no problems. But the first sign of tug or roughness, out it goes.

Just because its cheap doesnt mean you have to be wasteful. 2nd and 3rd shave can be just as good.

Well, if your second shaves' quality is intolerable, that's another story, but i wouldnt be changing blades daily just because its cheap.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I like the second and third shaves BETTER than the first. Thats why I say its wasteful, not because the blade cost me a whole 20 cents.

I rarely push a blade past 100 shaves. Generally wind up discarding them somewhere between 50 to 75 shaves.

I wouldn't say throwing a blade after one shave is pampering yourself, if say it's being wasteful. Personally I get 6 shaves per blade and toss it (straight razor Saturday must be observed, it's my holy day) honestly I've gotten more the that out of lesser blades so I guess I'm being wasteful chucking them after 6 really..

I've pretty much stopped keeping count. At the price of the things, why even bother? I just shave until I don't like the way the blade is working, then I toss it. More often than not, this happens in the middle of a shave. I mean, I can tell when the blade is working well and when it isn't. Waste not want not.

Just a friggin waste. Regardless of the price/cost there is no reason to toss something if it still works. Maybe 2-3 shaves is what works for you, Personally I get a week out of mine easy. To use a blade once then throw it away.... come on man.

Just a friggin waste. Regardless of the price/cost there is no reason to toss something if it still works. Maybe 2-3 shaves is what works for you, Personally I get a week out of mine easy. To use a blade once then throw it away.... come on man.

Don't knock it until you try it for awhile.:001_rolle:001_rolle

Top Bottom