What's new

Still getting Irritation

I discovered that my neck gets irritated for only a few reasons: too much pressure, wrong blade angle, or dull blade. My recommendation is to try a few sharper blades like Personna Preps or Lab Blues, and adjust your grip so that you can use minimal pressure while guiding the blade through your trouble spots.

So I am assuming that the open head will help to pay attention to blade angel as being slightly less forgiving.

I find the Maggard open comb to be very mild and forgiving. Some might say it "too mild" and that they can't get BBS. For me, I'd rather have a comfortable shave. But with the shaving oil, I've got close to BBS the last two days. Not perfect, but pretty darn good.

It's worth the $10 to test it out (IMHO). If it doesn't work out, you're not out big bucks.

Last edited:
For people telling me to skip passes. It is not really an option must be clean shaven.

Sorry, I reject that argument completely. There's a learning curve involved, and it sounds like your desire for perfection is outweighing your need to work up to it.

Seriously, a single WTG pass on your neck will leave the area well enough shaved to make it through an average work day. And what's worse - a slightly below average shave that your internet buddies will look down on, or redness and irritation that bug you all day and can be seen by everyone in the room?

Forgot about that. I am really trying to watch and back off on the pressure. I feel the MR8 with it's big handle has helped me a lot.

I can't help but think that too much pressure is playing a part here, and possibly trying to hard for that bbs on the neck. These are challenges that I think we all face, and a little practice and patience should be all that is required. I also have an MR8 handle and I find it to be a good tool for learning to back off the pressure.

Sorry, I reject that argument completely. There's a learning curve involved, and it sounds like your desire for perfection is outweighing your need to work up to it.

Seriously, a single WTG pass on your neck will leave the area well enough shaved to make it through an average work day. And what's worse - a slightly below average shave that your internet buddies will look down on, or redness and irritation that bug you all day and can be seen by everyone in the room?

Amen, brother. Chasing the "perfect shave" is the ruination of so many.

Yes because you know what I do on a day to day base and the negative implications of failing a shaving inspection.

Yes because you know what I do on a day to day base and the negative implications of failing a shaving inspection.

Sorry if I came off as aggressive, but seriously, there's a learning curve to these skills and newbies always get tripped up by "if my shave isn't perfect it's not worth doing. Oh by the way, why is my face getting destroyed????"

I assume you're in the military if you have shaving inspections? Again, one or two very gentle passes (and maybe a touchup later in the day) will get you much further than trying to annihilate every hair on the first try.

VW_ninja,

Do you have dry skin? I'm not sure if you mentioned that in any of the above post. For me, in addition to blade pressure and angle, I think my neck irritation is from dry skin. I always have dry hands and lips. But I never considered my neck to be dry. When I shaved with just oil earlier this week, I didn't have any irritation. Once I added lather over the soap, I now have irritation. I'm beginning to wonder if my shave soaps are pulling moisture out of my skin.

I thought I would share that with you as something to consider for your own situation. Maybe your face/neck needs more moisture before you shave, after you shave, before you go to bed, etc.

Go to your local CVS, Walgreens, Walmart whatever and in the bandage isle and where sunscreen is located, you should see a bottle of glycerin for $4 or so and it will last you a loooooooong time (I've had the same bottle for 4 years and use it regularly). Rub that into the area and it will create a soothing slick spot. When you're done, I'd try a after shave balm like Nivea Men in the same shaving area of the above listed stores.

Sorry if I came off as aggressive, but seriously, there's a learning curve to these skills and newbies always get tripped up by "if my shave isn't perfect it's not worth doing. Oh by the way, why is my face getting destroyed????"

I assume you're in the military if you have shaving inspections? Again, one or two very gentle passes (and maybe a touchup later in the day) will get you much further than trying to annihilate every hair on the first try.

I have gotten away from trying against the grain. I am not chasing BBS. Just trying to fix my one trouble spot.

VW_ninja,

Do you have dry skin? I'm not sure if you mentioned that in any of the above post. For me, in addition to blade pressure and angle, I think my neck irritation is from dry skin. I always have dry hands and lips. But I never considered my neck to be dry. When I shaved with just oil earlier this week, I didn't have any irritation. Once I added lather over the soap, I now have irritation. I'm beginning to wonder if my shave soaps are pulling moisture out of my skin.

I thought I would share that with you as something to consider for your own situation. Maybe your face/neck needs more moisture before you shave, after you shave, before you go to bed, etc.

I would say I have dryer skin. Will have to mess around with this. Maybe lotion before bed.

Go to your local CVS, Walgreens, Walmart whatever and in the bandage isle and where sunscreen is located, you should see a bottle of glycerin for $4 or so and it will last you a loooooooong time (I've had the same bottle for 4 years and use it regularly). Rub that into the area and it will create a soothing slick spot. When you're done, I'd try a after shave balm like Nivea Men in the same shaving area of the above listed stores.

I have heard people suggest to add glycerin to soap but not to the face.

Recently added Thayers Witch Hazel to my routine and love it. Does a great job on the skin post shave. Wish I had used it from the start..

Just wanted to pop in and say there is no shame in being a BBS-chaser! Patience and good technique contribute towards proper BBS, sure, but your choice of razor, blade, and prep are also equal contributors. I can't speak for everybody, but the sole reason that I experiment with different styles of razors and different brands of blades is to achieve the closest, most comfortable shave that I can get at my own pace.

Sure, I could slam down a single-pass WTG and be presentable in public, but why stop there when I can take just a few more strokes and be faceturbating all day long!? With my Merkur 34G I had to do like four legit passes to get a DFS and irritation all over my neck. My chase for BBS led my to find my true-love Klenzo razor who gives me a nick-free, irritation-free BBS shave with two passes plus touch-ups.

Chase that BBS, my friend. Ace your inspections and find your diamond in the rough! :a54:

Top Bottom