What's new

Shavette Questions

I've been researching shavettes and I have a few questions. Are there certain shavettes that use single edge blades or do they all use double edge? (If yes, where can I find them?) Which manufacturer makes the better/sharper blades? (Also, which ones make the larger blades and which shavettes are compatible with said larger blades?)

Feather AC, Kai Captian, Sam Seong, and CJB all use the larger, single edge blades. Most (myself included) consider these "shavette" type razors to be in a different league than the shavettes that are designed to use DE type blades. Both Feather and Kai make very good blades, and different folks like each of the blades better. Simply a matter of preference, beard character, and skin type.

Feather AC, Kai Captian, Sam Seong, and CJB all use the larger, single edge blades. Most (myself included) consider these "shavette" type razors to be in a different league than the shavettes that are designed to use DE type blades. Both Feather and Kai make very good blades, and different folks like each of the blades better. Simply a matter of preference, beard character, and skin type.

Well said! :thumbup1: I consider them replaceable blade straight razors.

I have both the KAI and the Feather handles mentioned, and like them both very much. I do have one shavette that some have considered to be the best double edge bladed shavette. It is called the Universal, and it is made in Italy. They make a full DE blade version and a half blade version where you have to break the blade into two. I got the full blade version. After paying the shipping and conversion to Euros, all in I was at about 30 dollars. It does not have the best fit and finish, but I have to say that it shaves wonderfully. First time out with it I got a full on BBS shave. I was surprised at how little blade exposure the Universal has, but given the flex in DE blades, I should not have been.

Whenever I see a question regarding shavettes I think of the "Shavette and Barber's Razor Enthusiast" thread started by TheVez. (SABRE). It did a fantastic job of identifying/explaining the different types of shavettes.

It would be great if there were a shavette sub-forum under straights such as Single Edge and Double Edge razors get under the safety razor forum.

Last edited:
If you're thinking about migrating to a real straight at some point, I've heard you should go with the Weck. It's the closest you can get to a straight shave. The others can be good shavers, but the definitely differ from a straight. I've been using a Parker SR1 for a few weeks, and the technique feels more like a DE than a straight to me. I can get the same quality shave much faster with my DEs.

Welcome Mr. Bricktrevor!
Shavettes are excellent Gateway razors toward straights!
Or, an endpoint in themselves!
My own experience is only with Feather/Kai razors (single edge) and the Universal (double edge).
Both systems are nice, but the Feather/Kai's are especially nice!
Happy Journeys!

$image.jpg

I learned to straight razor shave with a straight razor, and I only recently began to incorporate the shavette into my travel shaves. I found the transition to the shavette to be a very natural one, and have had no problems in doing so. Weight issues aside, they shave very much like a straight razor. Even straight razors have a pretty broad variance in weights depending on the designs being considered. Controlling pressure and angle with the shavette is critical if you do not want your mistakes to be highlighted in red, but the same issues are equally important with a traditional straight razor if you want a quality shave. The traditional straight is just a little more forgiving making it less likely you will get cut or obtain weepers if you do make a mistake.

I do have one shavette that some have considered to be the best double edge bladed shavette. It is called the Universal, and it is made in Italy. They make a full DE blade version and a half blade version where you have to break the blade into two. I got the full blade version.

I agree in full. We have the best shavette, and it's handmade in Italy. Probably not the cutest, but the best. :) IMO and YMMV are mandatory!
:001_cool:

proxy.php

Top Bottom