What's new

Dipping toes in the pool with a 1912

Got a package in the mail yesterday (thanks jcan88) and my first SE had arrived. It is a Gem Jr. 1912. He was kind enough to include a blade so today I was the day.

With all the hype around here I had high expectations. The blade loaded up easy enough. I love my OT and this felt very similar. Finding the angle was fairly intuitive. This is were the similarity ends though. With the head so large I couldn't see where I was shaving. Wasn't a problem but it is a new feeling. Did a 3 pass and ended up with a nice close shave. Well maybe too close. I ended up with weeper city. A few on my neck but a ton under my nose. I found the ATG very rough over the lip. I heard that these Blades may mellow with use. So lets see what the next shave holds.

Congratulations on your baptism, John. Things will get better and better, just like with a DE. On your upper lip, just remember "side-to side", not "up-and-down."

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
ATG on the stache is always iffy, but I find that the stiffness of the SE, providing it is a fresher blade, works pretty well. Maybe a Micromatic Open Comb is in order ..

ATG on the stache is always iffy, but I find that the stiffness of the SE, providing it is a fresher blade, works pretty well. Maybe a Micromatic Open Comb is in order ..

Spoken like a true B&Ber, the answer is always buy more razors!:lol:

Aye....Its great that you stuck your Toe in the SE Pond...I had my first SE shave with an English 1912 and was instantly hooked....It does take most of us more than a moment, however, to get optimum results from an SE razor...:001_rolle

A GEM Junior is a bit of a blunt instrument in, my humble opinion, as far as GEM SEs go ...That said.....They are not as aggressive as some models so they are a good place to start your SE Journey..A very light touch is the Order of the Day with SEs...Let the blade do the work..:blink:

The lighter the touch, the more efficient, these SE Blades become....:001_cool:

Billy

Last edited:
Congrats, it's all downhill from here! I can't help you with the upper lip issue as I have never shaved mine but in general less pressure is something I struggle to remember at times.

$SAM_1032~2.jpg

As promised. "SE" Glory!

Last edited:
Nice. Just use it a few times, before forming an opinion. Sometimes the best shaves come from the second shave on. The blades need a little taming, and the first shave with a new blade can hurt you at times. Very light touch with these, and almost a flat angle.

Nice looking Junior. I concur with the others in that one, it takes a few shaves for a single edge blade to settle in, and two, there is most definitely a learning curve, as single edge razors are quite different from DE's. So give it a week or so of shaves before forming any conclusions.

It can take a while to master the touch needed for ATG, especially in the trouble spots, but it is worth the effort, as ATG is where the SE really shines.

--Bob

Second shave down and this was much better. The blade has definitely mellowed. I worked on the no pressure and it paid off. I gripped the razor by the end of the handle with my fingertips. This letsmthe head float on the face.
The two issues:
1. The very bottom of my neckngrowns in the opposite direction then the rest. With my straight it doesn't matter but with my DE and apparently with SE I have to remember to change direction with the grain.
2. The area where my nose attaches to my face. I didn't go ATG so getting this spot was a challenge with the large head of the SE.

Over all a great shave, maybe one weeper but nothing a splash of cold water didn't fix.

Four shaves down with the 1912. The blade has mellowed nicely so no weepers. A little redness on the bottom of the neck. Over all good shave.
Questions:
How many shave do you get out if a blade? With my Weck I can get over 10 shaves from a blade are SE Blades similar?

Also the shave isn't lasting as long. Would this suggest a more aggressive razor needed? Maybe try the micromatic or Clog Pruf. The clog Pruf is the most aggressive right?

I typically get 10-14 shaves from a Gem stainless steel blade, and 4-6 shaves from a carbon steel blade. I have a light - moderate beard.

There are 3 Micromatic razors: The Flying Wing aka "Bullet Tip," the Clog-Pruf, and the Micromatic Open Comb, commonly abbreviated as "MMOC." The Clog-Pruf is generally considered more aggressive than a 1912, the MMOC even more so.

--Bob

Shave number 5:
Used the same blade but put it into the Clog Pruf. There is a lot more blade feel but I went very light. 3 pass and all went well. I love the sound. You know, that scraping toast sound. Just like a good hollow straight, this thing is loud. Especially ATG. Also like the straight this leaves your skin feeling great. The after shave feel of these is something I don't really get with a DE.

I got a few weepers on the upper lip. Nothing major and they mostly stopped with the cold water rinse at the end. I'm sure it is just an angle thing. This really brings me to the only issue I have with the design, getting under the nose. Maybe it just isn't meant to go N-S under the nose.

I think you're beginning to get it. :thumbup:

Single edge razors really come into their own when shaving ATG.

Can't help you much on the upper lip thing - I've sported a mustache for many years. :001_rolle

--Bob

Good to hear you are appreciating the GEM Clog Pruf... These are wonderfully balanced SEs in my humble opinion...Funny enough, the Infamous OCMM performs very similar to the Clog Pruf....:w00t:

The OCMM can misbehave itself without the proper shaving technique though as its not got the Guard Comb Design to guide you.....That said....The almost flat against the face shaving angle of the OCMM is the exactly the same as the Clog Pruf with the "Very Light Touch" that you have found anyway.....:001_rolle

I also used to find it difficult to get under the nose with the Clog Pruf until I got a little more confident to utilizing its somewhat large blade exposure.....The straight edge of the blade can be really pushed right under the nose ....I got used to this method by just closing my eyes and going by pure feeling.....:001_cool:

Billy

Last edited:
Top Bottom