What's new

Need help dating my GEM Jr. Safety Bar

I picked this one up a few days ago and finally had time to clean it up today. Aside from the brassing on the bar, it is in great shape. The box is fair and of course it is missing the blade case and the stropper, but I am looking forward to SE Sunday, nonetheless. I have seen several variations of the razor, but have not really been able to nail down a year for it. Any ideas?

Attachments

• $20150627_153741.jpg
    $20150627_153741.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 102
  • $20150627_153814.jpg
    $20150627_153814.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 101
  • $20150627_153830.jpg
    $20150627_153830.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 101
  • $20150627_153904_001.jpg
    $20150627_153904_001.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 99
She looks to be single? The worst thing she could say is no, I'd just ask her out?

Seriously, according to the Gem ads and your pics it looks to be 1912ish. The razor case you have was sold with a Gem Jr. frame, stropping handle, a metal blade dispenser (not just a bank/box) and 7 Damaskeene blades (hence the 7 on the interior of the case. Assuming this is the razor that came with the set it would be dated @ 1912.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Yeah,

That's a GEM Junior G Bar Lather Catcher and from round about 1911 according, to Waits Compendium, with the stropping handle......I have one that is identical and they are fantastic shavers........They are said to be on the milder side of the spectrum, but these are fantastic BBS shavers no two ways about it and for me as agile and efficient as any injector......With some practice the Lather Catchers are hard to beat as far as I am concerned....:thumbup1:

I use these with A Shimmed Gem Blade.......
Here's how to do it.....:tongue_sm

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...mIDgBA&usg=AFQjCNE9joAUFpHE0D8oWW3dEc-E70SaPw

Billy

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Tried to find that combination in Waits' Compendium,there's a Junior Bar razor in a Damaskeene box shown, but that snap buttonned case doesn't appear until later. So my guess is 1911! The Junior Bar appeared circa 1907 ..

I have seen dates from 1908-1916, as the Damaskeene name seems to be linked to the GEM blades of the same vintage. The seller states the razor to be from an estate sale and it appears to fit together. I am a huge fan of the lather catchers and find them to be excellent shavers. Something about a tool that doubles as a piece of art that makes the experience that much better.

Yeah, that's correct, these were GEM Damakeene Blades, that were being Marketed along side the early Damakeene 1912s as a sales Gimmick of that era.....:w00t::w00t:

Billy

Great find! This is perhaps my favorite of the GEMs. I've got the exact same set. I even have the button clasp ripped off exactly the same! :001_tongu Mine came with the blade case and 4 Damaskeene blades left.

Also, thanks Scooby Doo for the hint on adding a shim to the spine of the blade. I'm going to try this out soon.

Here's my set:
$GEM Junior Bar Collage.jpg

Yeah,

That's a GEM Junior G Bar Lather Catcher and from round about 1911 according, to Waits Compendium, with the stropping handle......I have one that is identical and they are fantastic shavers........They are said to be on the milder side of the spectrum, but these are fantastic BBS shavers no two ways about it and for me as agile and efficient as any injector......With some practice the Lather Catchers are hard to beat as far as I am concerned....:thumbup1:

I use these with A Shimmed Gem Blade.......
Here's how to do it.....:tongue_sm

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...mIDgBA&usg=AFQjCNE9joAUFpHE0D8oWW3dEc-E70SaPw

Billy

Great tip on the shims and the "how-to." I've been looking for a nice Junior G Bar to pick up so this is good to know. I currently have a 1912 that I have been using. Does anyone know if the shim trick is appropriate for those? I noticed the reference to blade measurements from around the 1910s in the how-to so it would seem the 1912s might or might not need them. Does anyone out there have actual experience with trying the shim trick with the 1912s?

Last edited:
Top Bottom