What's new

Ebay tobacco purchases?

The 35 year old tobacco thread got me curious so I wandered over to Ebay to see what was there. There is a lot of "sealed" tobacco that, at the bottom of the description says the tobacco is non smokable. How do you know if it is smokable or not?

I am not looking to buy just wondering.

I'm thinking that statement has more to do with Ebays rules than anything; tobacco on EBay is supposed to have a "collectible" factor, such as being an older tin, in which the tin itself has value as a historical item. The merit of the item is thus the tin itself, and not the contents.

I suppose it also protects the seller if the contents are truly found to be unsmokable.

Buying vintage tobacco always contains some risk, if the tin is unopened but the seal has given way due to age, the contents could be totally dry and devoid of flavor.

Your always taking a risk that the contents could be useless, and should bid accordingly.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have bought a lot of "collectible tins" on eBay filled with tobacco "not for consumption." I check the condition of the tin carefully before bidding and don't bid if it's dented, damaged, or shows significant rust. Every tin I've opened has been just fine.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I believe the "not for consumption" rule is because Ebay does not want to be in the "tobacco" business and does not necessarily reflect the condition of the tobacco one way or another.

I think if it's not terribly difficult to do I may put a bag of Stonehaven and Penzance on the bay to help fund a Grant Batson blowfish.
Of course not for consumption.

I think if it's not terribly difficult to do I may put a bag of Stonehaven and Penzance on the bay to help fund a Grant Batson blowfish.
Of course not for consumption.

déjà vu!

edit: ok, I see what you did there.. thought I was going crazy!

Last edited:
a person who goes to ebay with the sole purpose of buying vintage tins of tobacco with the intent to smoke it. is the equivalent of the person who calls 911 to complain about how their crack dealer didn't give them the full ounce of crack they bought that day.

there are so many factors of did the tobacco stay usable its not funny. even if the tin stayed intact, and all seals never broke. and the internal atmosphere never varied from when it was originally packaged and vacuum sealed at the factory. you could have two tins for 30 years, that meet those standards, and the one you hide in your crawlspace and the one you hide in the attic space.
will be completely ruined, but in different ways to due to the storage temperature and temperature swings.

So you're saying there is a risk.

Ebays rules also state that the tobacco container has to be one that is not presently available. This could simply mean that the design is a discontinued one. This prevents or limits current tins from being sold. Like was said, they don't want to be in the tobacco business.

No one follows that rule, and eBay never enforces it.

I've scored plenty of aged tobacco for either below market value or about the same as a new tin. You just have to make sure to check out the pics thoroughly before bidding.

Last edited:
The 35 year old tobacco thread got me curious so I wandered over to Ebay to see what was there. There is a lot of "sealed" tobacco that, at the bottom of the description says the tobacco is non smokable. How do you know if it is smokable or not?

I am not looking to buy just wondering.

How is it known if the tobacco is "good" after a long storage period??

One word........mold.

99% likely mold has contaminated the tobacco.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
How is it known if the tobacco is "good" after a long storage period??

One word........mold.

99% likely mold has contaminated the tobacco.

When you're buying sealed tins, the most important thing is to look at pics of the tin carefully. If not stored properly here can be pinholes of rust in the tin, sometimes under the label. So look at it carefully and check the overall condition of the tin. If the tin is in shape, the tobacco will be fine. You don't need to worry about mold and rot.

Top Bottom