What's new

Trying my first single malt.....

A visit to the store turned up a bottle of The Macallan Fine Oak 10. I have never been into Scotch, but this is supposed to be a very user friendly run. User friendly...Maybe Ill have less of a hangover? :biggrin:

Anyway....First impression is that its a very high quality liquor. But there is this taste that I cant quite put. I suppose its the malts and/or peat?? Im not really sure what to make of it. Im normally a beer drinker that likes the darker microbrews such as Ommagang Abbey Ale. :001_wub:

Any feed back from you fine gents is more than welcome. Im sure TimmyBoston will have a few things to say! Scotch Scotch Scotch...I love you scotch! :wink:

Glad you're having a great first scotch experience. If it's peat you like, you'll be headed toward a nice Laphroaig in no time.

I'll pour myself a dram here in a few moments and drink to your continued enjoyment:wink:

Macallan is a nice Scotch. The taste is probably the peat that is an acquired taste for some. I happen to love my single malts but some prefer a bourbon or American whiskey.

You may want to go for some of the malts distilled on Islay. A Lagavulin 16 year old, or the Laphroaig 10, or their Quarter Cask. Maybe a nice Bruichladdich 3D, if it is pear you like.

There's another thread about scotch goin on now. The Macallan 12 year old is one of my regular scotches. I alternate that with the Balvenie Doublewood 12 year old. The general opinion seems to the Glenlivet 12 year old is the best beginner scotch. I like the Glenlivet but to me it seems to be a kind of "generic" single malt. I like the sherry flavor in the Macallan and Balvenie scotches but not everyone does. I've tried the Laphroaig 10 year old and had a little trouble with the extreme peatiness of it at first. By the end of the bottle I decided it was pretty good. My wife is only a very occasional scotch drinker but she thought the Laphroaig had an aftertaste of "rotting fish".

What type of liqour do you like? There is a wide range of scotch and depending on what you like or would like to experience will determine which you try. A few people have mentioned Lagavulin and Laphroig. I enjoy the peatiness of them and they are two of my favorite - although many people I have introduced them to do not like them.

Taste is a finicky thing.

Enjoy the journey. But, please, don't drink and shave.

Top Bottom