What's new

PIF: "Ol' Splitback" a Slash McCoy GD

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
$20150626_101931_resized.jpg$2015-06-26 10.59.47.jpg$20150626_101229.jpg

PIF open to all CONUS types due to shipping hassle and expense, who already have at least one straight razor and have shaved successfully with it. This is not really a newbie razor, and I would not like to see this as a new shaver's first straight. I will randomly or maybe not so randomly... okay, okay, RANDOMLY select a recipient next Friday at noon, CST, and ship the same afternoon.

This razor is one of my GD conversion rejects that I just couldn't quite reject. The poor little razor who could. The crooked-tailed, one-eyed ugly dog who can still tree a coon with the best of them. The wired-together old squirrel gun that still shoots pretty darn good. The old 60's beater car that keeps on going, as long as it gets plenty of fluids and you park on a hill. Ol' Splitback started out as just another GD66 conversion, in a batch of a dozen or so of its brethren. Like the others it was made shoulderless and jimpless, and ground down to about a 16.25 degree bevel angle, and matched to a pair of acrylic scales. But during final polishing, a deep scratch on the back of the spine just wouldn't come out. I gave up on it and proceeded with the polishing progression, and it was soon obvious that this was actually a crack in the blade, right down the middle. Further polishing revealed the crack on the opposite side of the shank, so it went all the way through. But it was not evident in the hollow grind, and it honed up nicely, so out of curiousity I didn't toss it out, thinking it would be interesting to complete it and shave with it. The scales I used, I got superglue on the temporary pin when I glued the wedge in, and couldn't get it out for the finish pin. No biggie... the pin isn't needed anyway, since the scales and wedge are superglued together. I didnt feel that an imperfect razor called for a perfect pair of scales.

Ol' Split became one of my daily drivers and shaved well enough. The crack never got worse. The shave was quite satisfactory. And it was cool to shave with a razor having such a fundamental and fatal flaw. But now I feel it is time to pass it on or pass it around. So here it is, up for grabs, Ol' Splitback.

In the pics if you look carefully you can see the crack on the back of the spine, and also on the throat. noice the broken-off pin at the wedge end.

If you're in, just say you're in and tell me what other razor or razors you have, and whether or not a straight is your usual shave. heartwarming stories are totally optional. The recipient should feel free to keep it or pass it on, as he chooses. Don't worry Newbies, the next PIF will be a Newbie PIF.

I'm in! I also have a gold dollar 66, a feather Japanese non folding straight, a beautiful wade&butcher. Yes straights are my weapon of choice for my shaving!

I'm in. I've been straight shaving almost exclusively (minus two nostalgic returns to the r41--but now it just stares at me from the counter forlorn) for the last seven weeks or so. I have a sight unseen razor (hollow) from WD (a general store special), a Joseph Rodger's & Co wedge that I use to shave--I also recently shaved successfully with the Weck shavette. I recently picked up a couple other vintage razors from the bay, and am finishing off a GD mod for the current competition, but these need some work before shaving with them.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Not in Slash but nice PIF.

Do tell, what have been up to?

Mostly just puttering around with my electric propulsion setup on my boat, drinking, and being an all-around general nuisance. I actually was shaving with a shavette for a few months, not modding or honing or making or restoring or even using straights, due to lack of time and space. My situation has improved somewhat and now about 150 raw Gold Dollars are softly calling to me...

Im in, have a Vorpal and a Joseph Elliot 4/8, been at it for 16 shaves love the story, fought the urge to straight shave for 20 yrs took the plunge and loving it

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Not in ..... OS/2 Warp really?

Hey, it's a great OS. Light years ahead of W95 if you ask me. But Im not actually running OS/2. Thats just my login screen. I am actually running Ubuntu 14.04.2 and I thought the OS/2 screen would be funny. OS/2 can't really utilize my current hardware, and there are so many great apps for Linux that were not even dreamed of, back when Warp was currently the bright shining star of operating systems. I thought about setting aside a 200MB partition for warp, and dual booting, but it would really serve no purpose other than nostalgia. Im a Linux guy now but I remember when I was an OS/2 guy. Well, I also remember when I was a DOS guy, but hey.

Was resisting entering but I just gave my Modded GD away. I'm in.

Edit: I have been using straights as my only tool for the past 3 months. I have collected several razors along the way, many from the folks here. I have developed the habit of saying a prayer for the previous owner of the razor I am using. Makes for a great mind set during the shave.

Last edited:
I'd be in except I'm a newbie to Straights. I've never tried one yet. I'll be waiting with eager anticipation for a newbie pif to come around!!! Very generous offer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom