What's new

July Contest - Seasonal Rain

Thanks for the votes on my Iris photo!

“Summer Rain” was my first thought for a July theme. I then thought about our widely dispersed membership. “Seasonal Rain” covers both hemispheres and it still floats my boat.

Your “Seasonal Rain” photo needs to show falling rain, raindrops, a deluge, mist, puddles, an obvious rainy day, etc... A photo with any of these features or combinations of these features qualifies. Frozen water, sleet, snow, slush, etc… are not qualifiers. Those of us living under drought conditions may use a sprinkler or a watering can as needed. Liquid precipitation does not need to be the photo’s focal point. Color or monochrome images are welcome.

The iris picture chosen for June would qualify. Those raindrops were natural. But, they could have been added with a sprinkling can and that would have counted too.

Rainbow pictures without raindrops, puddles, etc… do not qualify. Rainbow pictures with falling rain, mist, puddles, drenched foliage, bedraggled significant others, wet dogs, wet children, wet cats, etc… do qualify.

Pick your best picture. Shots from a season or two back are perfectly OK.

Very nice subject. This should bring about some very stunning images.

Here is my submission. Cold and Hot Rain.
$DSC_0003.jpg

Do storm clouds without obvious rain qualify?

Pure cloud shots, nothing but sky, do not qualify. That said, storm clouds in a photo would add great drama.

The picture should have evidence of precipitation. The vertical dark haze band that one sees when looking at storm clouds from a distance is rain. That would qualify. When well framed, this effect almost always shows the horizon line. This type of shot qualifies...

$rain band example.jpg
not my shot

The two vertical bands are not water spouts. Those are heavy downpours. This effect is most often seen across prairies and large bodies of water. Mountain tops with steep valleys on either side are also good spots for this.

Last edited:
Pure cloud shots, nothing but sky, do not qualify. That said, storm clouds in a photo would add great drama.

The picture should have evidence of precipitation. The vertical dark haze band that one sees when looking at storm clouds from a distance is rain. That would qualify. When well framed, this effect almost always shows the horizon line. This type of shot qualifies...

View attachment 582946
not my shot

The two vertical bands are not water spouts. Those are heavy downpours. This effect is most often seen across prairies and large bodies of water. Mountain tops with steep valleys on either side are also good spots for this.

I'll PM you to judge the photo i'm thinking of.

Thanks for the great idea. Here's a bird for that great bird bath.

Dancin' in the Rain!

$DSC_8502 - Dancing in the Rain.jpg

Top Bottom