What's new

Coti question

A quick question for our coti fans. Has anyone tried one of the Les Petas coticule hones I am seeing listed on the Ardennes website yet? How does it compare to other known veins? What do you know about them? I am a touch coticule crazy and can't help but be curious about them. Is it a new vein?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I've thought about it several times, I just have a lot of new stones and nagura here now that I haven't tested yet so I'd like to get to those first.
We briefly discussed the les petas somewhere here (probably the coti page) but I don't think anyone had actually tried one yet.

Somebody out there needs this rock and then to tell us all about it.

$273-1279-thickbox.jpg

I just ordered the cheapest one 150*50, and when it arrives i will tell you about.......

Funny thing is that Maurice made a failure describing one stone, he mentions slurry stone and razor included......

Greets Sebastian.

Thank you! I knew our Badger and Blade enthusiasts wouldn't let me down.

The tiny bit of information I have been able to find about the Les Petas vein says that it was an exceptionally prized vein back in the day. Supposed to be quite fast, but still capable of fine finish.

The tiny bit of information I have been able to find about the Les Petas vein says that it was an exceptionally prized vein back in the day. Supposed to be quite fast, but still capable of fine finish.

I think the price of them just went up a bit :tongue_sm

mine is fine but i would not say fast or atleast not as fast as some of the dressante and vient coticules that i have really deep green layers on mine which is a 40X160 i picked up about two weeks before those 50X*** were posted it lacks the sound of abrasion that the course coticules have imho

mine is fine but i would not say fast or atleast not as fast as some of the dressante and vient coticules that i have really deep green layers on mine which is a 40X160 i picked up about two weeks before those 50X*** were posted it lacks the sound of abrasion that the course coticules have imho

Mine arrived today, it got those deep green (the ones one mine look more blue) layers also. It looks like a lighter variant of La Grise, and the sharpening feelings are almost identical.
Well as Culhnetyl has written it is what i call medium on every stage of dilution. I can`t say this are all of my findings yet, cause i got only one razor (a Frameback with tape, what i don`t call my favorite to hone).

The Finish is more easy then with a La Grise, not that much autoslurry, solid HHT 2 from Stone, HHT 5 after Jeans and Palmstropping (5/5). I got at least two of this layer in my collection, older ones for shure.

And as it was a very cheap one (59€ because of a crack ???? that i could not really find :)) , so if the very pricey ones act the same that would be a waste of money, nothing a La Grise could not do that fine, except the finish, this is more complicated with La Grise layers i think.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Comparison to a La Grise (left one).

Hope that helps, i will let you know if something changes my mind after a few more razors and knifes.

Greets Sebastian.

looks like a grise/verte mix. is it a hard or soft stone?

Overall medium, while lapping it was on the softer side (comparabel to Grise/Dressante), with less autoslurry, so medium for a coti. (some of the hardest cotis i got (La Verte) and LesLat Hybrids are sometimes terrible to lapp).
It looks exactly like a mixture of La Grise with "some" La Vertes i have, and i`am shure, that anybody that will get one (with coti knowledge) would think it is a La Grise, only the water only stage is something different. Very easy to finish on this one.

Well the shave was superb! As good as i can get it from other Veins.

Greets Sebastian.

Last edited:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Brianskeet

I think the price of them just went up a bit :tongue_sm

Layers names , selected bla bla , every word we whrite lift the prises hight to the sky .
With the new mine , instead of more , better and cheaper coticules , the things go to the other direction .
those days ,if all of us , we have to stop sayng how good they are and buyng them on ridiculous hight prises .
With the demand the Jnat prises fall down but the cotis goes up , ha ha ha anomaly .
At those prises its pointless buyng them as they dont worth the prise . There are much better stones to use at those hight bits hahaha

Top Bottom