What's new

The antique photograph thread

Legion

Staff member
One of the things I collected long before the whole shaving thing was antique photographs. I particularly favour Daguerreotypes, but have a fair number of Ambrotypes, tintypes, etc.

I really enjoy the "one off" nature of the early photography, before negs let you print multiple copies.

Any other collectors here? Anyone with images or info they would like to share?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I have an old photo or so. Does this one qualify? $1909 I guess big.jpg

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
This photo was taken around the year 1909. That's before the 1st World War.

This photo is big and clear. I have time to play on the computer and find photos.

I'm glad you like it. I can bring more to B and B , for I have some interesting photos.

Legion

Staff member
They are hard to photograph, being an image on a mirror, but I always found Daguerreotypes had a ghostly, beautiful quality. It's hard to explain. You kind of have to see them in the flesh. I have a lot of them, I always wonder who the people are, their stories. And the clothes are always really cool.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Great 'stache on the fellow in the middle.

I have a few older images, but my main enjoyment these days is finding old exposed found film and developing it.
$Harbour and Ship.jpg

Last edited:
I have some old portraits of my great great grandparents. They are all regular prints, but I can scan them next time I visit my parents.

A few of my favorites:

Attachments

• $zz27.jpg
    $zz27.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 268
  • $zz26.jpg
    $zz26.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 267
  • $zz25.jpg
    $zz25.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 269
  • $zz24.jpg